Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
tanner12oz

anyone been involved in a partnership?

Good,bad ugly?

anyone have partnerships between members on here?
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

A business partnership or a horse owning partnership or a "let's go partners on today's pick 6" partnership?
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
Ocala Mike

anyone been involved in a partnership?

Yes, something called Trans-Atlantic Racing Stable, which I got into over the internet, either through this forum or a similar one.

Made a few bucks, as I recall, but the paperwork involved in tax reporting was a little daunting.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike
Yes, something called Trans-Atlantic Racing Stable, which I got into over the internet, either through this forum or a similar one.

Made a few bucks, as I recall, but the paperwork involved in tax reporting was a little daunting.
Trans-Atlantic was a disaster in the end. Mike DeVita got in way over his head and was taken to the cleaners by some trainers. He tried to keep the shell game going as long as he could, but it blew up in the end.

I'm out a few hundred bucks but some of the memories I have more than make up for that. I got to see a horse I was a small owner in work out at MNR and the walked him around the barn area.

But Mike was an out and out liar, and I'd be happy to give him a bloddy nose if I ever met him in person.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 08:19 PM   #5
baconswitchfarm

The only ship that's sure to sink.
baconswitchfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-22-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

Try and find one that's affordable and successful.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2014, 05:09 AM   #7
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
A business partnership or a horse owning partnership or a "let's go partners on today's pick 6" partnership?
ownership
Old 09-23-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp Howard
Try and find one that's affordable and successful.
no such thing?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:46 AM   #9
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
no such thing?

They got some that are successful but dont know about affordable. When a partnership takes 15% of purse revenue then i have a problem with that.
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #10
sammy the sage

you might try pm'ing the poster...Lambo...if he doesn't chime in....he'll tell it like it is/was...
Old 09-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #11
forced89

Good way to get started and see what is going on. Go in for as small a piece as possible at first. Follow recommendations here at to which Partnership. Problems are (1) when you win there is 30% off the top to trainer, jockey and Partnership Manager; (2) many Partnership Managers will run a horse into the ground rather than giving it time off figuring (I guess correctly) that Partners want action: and (3) Partnership Managers will spend money like water on Vet, Van, etc. because it is not their money. Still I think it is a good way to get your feet wet in ownership.

Last edited by forced89; 09-23-2014 at 09:50 AM.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #12
RaceBookJoe

I was in one, had a blast while in but no longer involved. The horse I was involved with ( 5% ) actually ran in the 2011 Breeders Cup trained by George Weaver, unfortunately was her last race. Got injured, and each comeback attempt caused another setback, so we retired her. She is now in foal. Bonaventure Stables was the stable, and they offer both 5% and 10% shares for their runners. The owners are great, family run and got started as a bunch of ex- St Bonaventure alumni.
There is/was a very low priced group also, think the name is Horse Race Players Club? If I remember correctly, you can get 1% shares, some only $200 to get in. Depends on what you are looking for and your budget...but its a tough way to make money. expense after expense
Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
chadk66

they work fine if they're set up properly and if the expectations are based on reality.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #14
onefast99

Per the Westpoint site here is a great line,
“is a partnership the best way for me to have the greatest ownership experience?”

Personally I wouldn't go near one but I am sure there are a lot of partners who have had a good experience as well as ones who haven't.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #15
Rex Phinney

I was at one one time. It was great way for the racing manager to take everyone's money and play like it was his own.

He bought a $15,000 horse, owned it a week, and sold it to the partnership for $70,000 (without really sharing that's what he was doing) We also spent about the first 9 months with all the money going to only the racing manager or his attorney buddy. Very little spent on vet bills, shoeing etc. Yet all the money was still being spent.

My advice is to get in touch with a trainer directly, alot of times they have horses in their barn or at sales they want to buy and they will take you in directly with others. Especially the smaller barns are looking for owners, tell them what you have to spend and that you want to know when something comes up. You will surprised how quick they take to you if you are serious and stay out of their way.

Basically the trainer is running the partnership, all the financial aspects of it are then much more clearly laid out, they will have their day rate, vet and medication bills and entry fees, and that's about it. You also end up with the one guy in charge who SHOULD BE, the trainer.

Get rid of the middle man (the racing "manager"), 9 times out 10 that I've seen they are crooks.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply