Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Trading The Financial Markets

Old 09-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
badcompany

You Know You're A Financial Market Addict When...

A part of you dreads the weekend because the markets are closed.

― Thomas Sowell
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2014, 07:41 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Or you're there when the futures open up early Sunday evening...lol

I used to be like that...then I started trading options...I like it better this way...one trade a month (unless I have to "adjust")....
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
lamboguy

i know the takeout is more in racing than the markets, but i can overcome racing while the market's seems to put me under the either.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
badcompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
i know the takeout is more in racing than the markets, but i can overcome racing while the market's seems to put me under the either.
IMO, the psychological aspect of financial markets is harder, especially when you have long term positions.

If things are going badly with the ponies, you can simply take some time off.

An intermediate downtrend in a long term uptrend can last for weeks or more, and you have to sit there and take it.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 09-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
_______
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcompany
IMO, the psychological aspect of financial markets is harder, especially when you have long term positions.

If things are going badly with the ponies, you can simply take some time off.

An intermediate downtrend in a long term uptrend can last for weeks or more, and you have to sit there and take it.
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/09/...ecret-amnesia/

"An employee who recently joined his firm told him that Fidelity had studied which customer investing accounts performed the best: They were the ones held by people who had forgotten they even had Fidelity accounts, and so did no buying or selling from them."

You could do worse than turning off the financial channel for a few months.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

I used to be like that...then I started trading options...I like it better this way...one trade a month (unless I have to "adjust")....
Are you selling puts?
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Actually, long put RUT butterflies (Russell 2000 index), hedged with IWM (Russell ETF) calls...

You can read/watch more about what I'm currently doing here:

http://www.smbtraining.com/overview/m3

I didn't purchase any of the stuff at that link...just interpreted the video presentation, liked what I saw, and tried to adapt it to my own style, although I do follow most of the rules he puts forth, except when I don't...lol

This is his "old" method, developed years ago...if it continues to do well with me, I may give the man a reward and purchase some of his newer stuff.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 09-17-2014 at 03:52 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
lamboguy

i have been watching the squirrels around my property scooping up all the acorns for the last 3 weeks and storing them for the winter. this is the earliest that i have ever seen them go to work on storage.

animals are smarter than humans and the squirrels must think the winter is coming early this year. i am going to go long the front month of heating oil futures in anticipation of an early winter.
Old 09-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #9
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
i have been watching the squirrels around my property scooping up all the acorns for the last 3 weeks and storing them for the winter. this is the earliest that i have ever seen them go to work on storage.

animals are smarter than humans and the squirrels must think the winter is coming early this year. i am going to go long the front month of heating oil futures in anticipation of an early winter.
Brilliant!
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2014, 05:20 PM   #10
badcompany

Quote:

In my neck of the woods, there's been a big switch to nat gas.

It's been bouncing along at a bottom. If it breaks out on the upside, it could be worth a play.

― Thomas Sowell

Last edited by badcompany; 09-17-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #11
lamboguy

that one looks good because you know when your back is up against the wall. that's a nice clear chart too.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
badcompany

Arrow

Quote:
that one looks good because you know when your back is up against the wall. that's a nice clear chart too.
Looks like Nat Gas isn't gonna break out on the upside for awhile. The recent move has been down.

I've been having a pretty good run shorting grains, using the 12sma for a stop after a breakout.

― Thomas Sowell
Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 PM   #13
Tape Reader

Anyone see an advantage with candlesticks on intraday charts? I always thought that taking “the price to bed” is what gave them their significance.
Tape Reader is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2014, 12:57 AM   #14
incoming

Using Bollinger Bands and Bollinger Bandwidth indicators a perfect Bollinger Band squeeze is starting to form. I would prefer the consolidation to last a couple of more weeks but a break of the bands in either direction and confirmed by volume above normalization would be enough for me to start a small position. I trade Forex but Bollinger Bands works across all markets.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-03-2014, 06:41 AM   #15
incoming

UNG daily chart closed above the upper BOLLINGER BAND 4 days ago. BANDWIDTH is still showing squeeze. Using hourly chart for entry, it's on the bottom band, great entry point!! The fat doji on daily chart yesterday tells me indecision is starting to creep in, along with heavy sale volume yesterday. I would open a 1/4 position at this point with a stop placed on a close below the lower band using daily candles. When there is a tag or close above the upper band using daily chart or a couple of days with positive above normalize volume I would load the wagon. Watch out $28. Lets see if I'm right.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply