Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
TheEdge07
Veteran

Paco Lopez are you kidding?

Completely stopped riding the #1 horse at Monmouth in the 2nd.
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 03:33 PM   #2
camourous

He wins a ton of races, but seems to not give any where near maximum effort more than half the time
camourous is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Wow, that was ugly. You would have to think he's getting a 30 or 60 day suspension for that.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 08:26 PM   #4
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Wow, that was ugly. You would have to think he's getting a 30 or 60 day suspension for that.
My buddy who owns the horse was fuming. Said he told him to rate and make one move. He burned this horse in a 4 horse duel and refused to listen to instructions.

The stewards called him in and he said the horse didn't feel right late, hence why he stopped riding.

Stewards sent two vets out to check the horse out, couldn't find a thing wrong with him.

Stewards still said he will be placed on the vets list and must work under their watch.

Instead of suspending him a year, they are giving him credibility and siding with him. My friend was repulsed.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 09:10 PM   #5
sammy the sage

yep...they joined THe Arlington list today...they put up the supposed winner in the last race of the day w/NO photo or replay VERY quickly...only thing you got to see is the jockey praying who though he'd LOST...I thought I'd won...then a BIG smile on his face when posted...

mighta been a dead heat...he mighta won...he mighta lost...but hey....if you can't bother to even post a lousy photo...well...too bad...no more dinero from moi...

it's interesting tho...have complained about this before at other tracks...and at least a poster or two...(thanks CJ)...did find THE photo...except the last time I posted about Arlington as well...and oh well...
Old 08-23-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
My buddy who owns the horse was fuming. Said he told him to rate and make one move. He burned this horse in a 4 horse duel and refused to listen to instructions.

The stewards called him in and he said the horse didn't feel right late, hence why he stopped riding.

Stewards sent two vets out to check the horse out, couldn't find a thing wrong with him.

Stewards still said he will be placed on the vets list and must work under their watch.

Instead of suspending him a year, they are giving him credibility and siding with him. My friend was repulsed.
That's incredible.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #7
BIG49010

Not to get completely off subject, but MTH today seemed to be less speed favoring than usual, and on these kind of days strange things seem to happen. Paco when the early speed is holding, wins with 4-5, when it's not some of rides look like what you describe.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:49 PM   #8
nijinski

Why isn't it possible the horse just didn't feel right under him ?
He's just a 3 yo that looks like he belongs with this class. One win
in 18 now 19 starts is not exactly a lock though.The horse could be
on the vets list for a reason .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 11:59 PM   #9
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

Owner is listed as Gina Bentivegna you had me confused .
Old 08-24-2014, 12:40 AM   #10
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
Why isn't it possible the horse just didn't feel right under him ?
He's just a 3 yo that looks like he belongs with this class. One win
in 18 now 19 starts is not exactly a lock though.The horse could be
on the vets list for a reason .
I'm going to ask you a question.

out of all the cheap claimers that are currently running in August of 2014 in the USA, what percentage of them feel "smooth" underneath their riders from start to finish in all the races they run in?

The next question is this.

If this particular horse "felt funny" at the wire the moment this guy stopped riding, did the horse feel incredibly smooth all the way until that very moment? It seems that he wants us to believe that what he felt at the wire was not the same as what he felt all the way around the track....because if the horse was "bumpy" or "not smooth" all the way, why not just finish the race considering he had already ridden the horse 999/1,000ths of the way already anyway?

If every jock riding every horse in America pulled up every horse that was anything less than "smooth as silk" we would have a lot more pullups i'd imagine.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:08 AM   #11
nijinski

[QUOTE=Stillriledup]I'm going to ask you a question.

out of all the cheap claimers that are currently running in August of 2014 in the USA, what percentage of them feel "smooth" underneath their riders from start to finish in all the races they run in?

The next question is this.

If this particular horse "felt funny" at the wire the moment this guy stopped riding, did the horse feel incredibly smooth all the way until that very moment? It seems that he wants us to believe that what he felt at the wire was not the same as what he felt all the way around the track....because if the horse was "bumpy" or "not smooth" all the way, why not just finish the race considering he had already ridden the horse 999/1,000ths of the way already anyway?

If every jock riding every horse in America pulled up every horse that was anything less than "smooth as silk" we would have a lot more pullups i'd imagine.[/QUOTE

I honestly cannot answer that without speaking to him . I would say it's like
wearing red flags on your sleeves if you stop like that on a favorite for no
reason . His percentage indicates a better rider than that . I honestly don't
know the reaon for this ride .
Why not finish the race ? Maybe the horse was out of wind or his frog was
sore only the owner and Farro know .

Like Eddie Arcaro once said when asked why he didn't move up ." What ? and leave the horse behind " .
Old 08-24-2014, 01:25 AM   #12
tampahorseplayer

Ride to the finish unless theres something drastic going on not you feel "weird" In japan if they dont ride to the finish and the vet clears the jockey gets fines and days. Cant believe the stewards just brused it off, thats why most have no trust of those in control. People are betting on him, this looks as if your not wanting to get a spot for a specific reason (memories of tampa and judice and derek bell reminds me of this type of thing) I didnt bet it but if I did Id want a real explanation, especially the owner/trainer.
tampahorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-24-2014, 02:09 AM   #13
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampahorseplayer
Ride to the finish unless theres something drastic going on not you feel "weird" In japan if they dont ride to the finish and the vet clears the jockey gets fines and days. Cant believe the stewards just brused it off, thats why most have no trust of those in control. People are betting on him, this looks as if your not wanting to get a spot for a specific reason (memories of tampa and judice and derek bell reminds me of this type of thing) I didnt bet it but if I did Id want a real explanation, especially the owner/trainer.
I hear and understand the frustrations on this matter . I'd like to believe
he was protecting the horse but we really don't know .

Perhaps in Japan the fines and days are not easily appealed . Here the court judges are sympathetic to the jocks , so the stewards can have
their hands full and tied .

Situations like this perhaps with enough complaints , should at least warrant
full disclosure .

Last edited by nijinski; 08-24-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-24-2014, 03:00 AM   #14
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
I hear and understand the frustrations on this matter . I'd like to believe
he was protecting the horse but we really don't know .

Perhaps in Japan the fines and days are not easily appealed . Here the court judges are sympathetic to the jocks , so the stewards can have
their hands full and tied .

Situations like this perhaps with enough complaints , should at least warrant
full disclosure .
Jocks are paid to ride, which means they need to ride to the wire. We can't have jocks just arbitrarily pulling up horses on whims. Picking and choosing which horse feels "funny" is not what i want to see. If you don't want to ride the horse all the way, give up the mount to someone who does.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #15
TravisVOX
Track Announcer

A review of the publicly available rulings from this season would show that the stewards at Monmouth Park take this stuff seriously.
TravisVOX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply