Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-23-2014, 01:54 AM   #16
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I am looking for another step forward for V.E Day, the other Jerkens runner, and hoping he gets a piece.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #17
appistappis
longshot kick de bucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
I am looking for another step forward for V.E Day, the other Jerkens runner, and hoping he gets a piece.

me too, I'm keying him and wicked strong on top
Old 08-23-2014, 06:45 AM   #18
JohnGalt1

Bris 1 1/4 distance breeding---

108 Bayern

116 Tonalist

114 Wicked Strong

JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #19
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by appistappis
me too, I'm keying him and wicked strong on top
V.E. Day hit a wall at the eight pole in the Curlin. Had that race been a mile and a quarter, I project the final time would have been around 2:05 and change. The Travers looks to finish around 2:02 flat, my projection. V.E. Day will need to improve about 15-17 lengths to win this. Could he improve that much? While there is no indication that he will, this is horse racing and I have seen just about everything in 40 years. Almost nothing is impossible in this game, but my money says no he can't make that big of an improvement.

Also, he is picking up 7 pounds and the jockey opts elsewhere. Two not so good signs. Finally, so many people on this board talk value. True value on this horse would be around 50-1. And you won't get that on him. So he is an underlay and offers no value at 20-1, IMO.
zico20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 09:34 AM   #20
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele polo
2 opinions I want to share:

- Saratoga's main track has played pretty fair so I dont see a son of Oflee Wild (Bayern) getting the distance. I think he hits an absolute brick wall inside the 1/8th pole and may not hit the board. Will not use in the top 3 spots.

- Mr Speaker is very intriguing and I'm willing to use him extensively with Tonalist and Wicked Strong. These three together are the clear standouts for me.

Also want to add that the meet has been JimmyJerkins' coming out party. He's been tearing it up and having two in the Travers is a great accomplishment. A very good trainer that Im happy to see find this type of success.
How many Oflee Wild horses sell for 320,000? His stud fee is 4000, so this is a fluke horse where breeding can be thrown out the window.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:42 AM   #21
jefftune

I think TONALIST gets a more aggressive ride from Rosario today.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/tune/travers.html
jefftune is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 10:03 AM   #22
zico20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefftune
I think TONALIST gets a more aggressive ride from Rosario today.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/tune/travers.html
I agree with you. I believe the big three will be running 1-2-3 down the backstretch. Which means an inferior horse will have to pass one of them instead of a cheap horse stealing a placing because an idiot jockey gets the better horse too far behind. Another reason why they should run 1-2-3.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 AM   #23
Ocala Mike

Travers

Using the , MR. SPEAKER.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #24
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele polo
2 opinions I want to share:

- Saratoga's main track has played pretty fair so I dont see a son of Oflee Wild (Bayern) getting the distance. I think he hits an absolute brick wall inside the 1/8th pole and may not hit the board. Will not use in the top 3 spots.

- Mr Speaker is very intriguing and I'm willing to use him extensively with Tonalist and Wicked Strong. These three together are the clear standouts for me.

Also want to add that the meet has been JimmyJerkins' coming out party. He's been tearing it up and having two in the Travers is a great accomplishment. A very good trainer that Im happy to see find this type of success.
I share your concerns about Bayern getting 10f.
Here's my take.
With Bayern being the only real speed of the field, I see him taking command by the time they hit the first turn. All that's needed is to get a clear lead, give him a break down the backstretch, bottoming out the rest and then being urged home in a dawdling 25 second last quarter to win in like 2:03 and change. The others will be running on a treadmill trying to gain ground on the huffing and puffing Bayern.
JMHO....

Last edited by thespaah; 08-23-2014 at 12:39 PM.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #25
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
I don't get why no one thinks Offlee Wild can sire 10 F winners. Did he not win the 10 F 2005 Suburban?
Here's a quote I pulled from Horseracingnation.com
"None of Offlee Wild’s offspring have won or placed at 1 ¼ miles in a stakes race. "
Full link....
http://www.horseracingnation.com/blo...rs_Stakes_123#
Old 08-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #26
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
Just out of curiosity, would Bayern have hit a wall in the Haskell and finished off the board had they gone another quarter mile. To me, it didn't look like he would have stopped on a dime.
Well, it would have only been another furlong.
Bayern finished up strong in the Haskell. I wish I'd seen the gallop out.
That would help me to decide if he can get the extra panel.
Edit.
Just watched the replay. Unfortunately the camera did not follow the winner after the wire. However, to me it appeared that Bayern finished up driving, no stick.
That finish would not scare me off him today.
Again, Bayern looked strong.

Last edited by thespaah; 08-23-2014 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:31 PM   #27
Tor Ekman

Tonalist . . . last time out was basically a prep, he'll prove best today again
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #28
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

If the Wood Mem were another furlong do you think Bellamy Road would have folded?
He folded badly in the Derby...

My point is that the "extra furlong added to the Haskell" argument is hollow.

We aren't going from 1m to 1m1/8...the last furlong in a 10f race often spells ruin for runners not ready to go that far.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 08-23-2014 at 12:46 PM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 12:53 PM   #29
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Tonalist......short price

Bayern....same

Wicked Strong..........again

Mr Speaker would have to be the only play value wise
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-23-2014, 01:18 PM   #30
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico20
V.E. Day hit a wall at the eight pole in the Curlin. Had that race been a mile and a quarter, I project the final time would have been around 2:05 and change. The Travers looks to finish around 2:02 flat, my projection. V.E. Day will need to improve about 15-17 lengths to win this. Could he improve that much? While there is no indication that he will, this is horse racing and I have seen just about everything in 40 years. Almost nothing is impossible in this game, but my money says no he can't make that big of an improvement.

Also, he is picking up 7 pounds and the jockey opts elsewhere. Two not so good signs. Finally, so many people on this board talk value. True value on this horse would be around 50-1. And you won't get that on him. So he is an underlay and offers no value at 20-1, IMO.
I agree with you on V. E. Day.
While he is a really nice animal, I don't like his action in the lane last time. He also had a dream trip and needed a blanket finish.