Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #1
porchy44

Castellano on the turf

IMHO Javier Castellano is the best turf rider of all time. (I am talking North American jockeys). BTW he is excellent on dirt also.

I seriously start my handicapping with him if he is listed in a turf race. I do not do that for anyone else, grass or dirt.

Can you name any other turf riders of years past or present that are equal or better than him ?
porchy44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:14 PM   #2
NJ Stinks

Jose Santos. The difference between the two is that Jose was competing against guys like Angel Cordero for mounts.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
Fager Fan
Veteran

Rene Douglas.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 10:33 PM   #4
Thebigguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porchy44
IMHO Javier Castellano is the best turf rider of all time. (I am talking North American jockeys). BTW he is excellent on dirt also.

I seriously start my handicapping with him if he is listed in a turf race. I do not do that for anyone else, grass or dirt.

Can you name any other turf riders of years past or present that are equal or better than him ?
I would take Lezcano over him right now.
What about Ramon and Bailey for all timers??
Thebigguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigguy
I would take Lezcano over him right now.
What about Ramon and Bailey for all timers??

2010, alive in the pick 6 at Belmont. Somehow some way (humbly), it's paying the whole pool. 16 of my 17 tickets have both the horse Ramon is riding and that castecockroach is riding. The 17th ticket got alive to just castecockroach. How? Sheer stupidity. I somehow didn't click the number of ramon's horse on that 1 ticket and missed it.

My dad who is rarely at the track those days, shows up as a surprise. I tell him: Dad, I'm alive again, in the pick 6. He says, you have Ramon's horse, right? I explain my dilemma and he says, well Javier's horse looks better, has the better post as well. Let's pray Ramon doesn't outride your horse. I laughed and said :are you kidding? Of course Ramon will kill me out of this pick 6. Not because of my mistake but because of his talents.

Fast forward, Javier gets better position (good flow from weaker horses up front-it was a turf route). Javier doesn't realize what a super spot he has and vacates his spot. Ramon takes the spot castecockroach vacated. Beats castecockroach with a less talented horse by a neck.

I understand one example does not make a trend but castellano (I've learned to call him castecockroach because he's as smart as a cock roach) has done this countless countless countless countless countless times. He's certifiably brain dead. Ramon was by far, in his worst days, INFINETLY MORE INTELLIGENT than every other comatose imbecile that mounts a thoroughbred COMBINED.

I don't bet jockeys. I bet everything but jockeys. Ramon is the first jockey that seriously affected my handicapping (in a positive way as he was soooo smart, so prepared, so good at what if scenarios that he could elevate a horse CONSISTENTLY) LONG TERM. EVERY OTHER OVER RATED NUMBSKULL COULD ONLY SNATCH DEFEAT FROM THE JAWS OF VICTORY.

Last edited by EMD4ME; 07-30-2014 at 11:21 PM.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 11:38 PM   #6
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Corey Nakatani ...Alex Solis too.

Samyn on the Green..

Castellano is a great rider turf or dirt. No intention of hijacking, but I love seeing him in the SB get out races.

Last edited by Tall One; 07-30-2014 at 11:41 PM.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2014, 11:44 PM   #7
BMustang

Castellano is certainly a great turf rider and presently perhaps the best. IMO Leparoux is also pretty good.

Jerry Bailey was sensational in his day, and Julie Krone was one of my all-time favorites on the grass. And then there was Samyn "on the green."

Last edited by BMustang; 07-30-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: spelling
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #8
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Can't forget Jean "On the Lawn" Cruguet.
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2014, 09:09 PM   #9
uncbossfan

I have used this angle for at least 5 yrs now. Every turf race it starts with who Castellano is on. Hit some big prices on horses I would never bet if he wasn't on them.
uncbossfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
Knowclew

Chicago racing fans had Earlie Fires to deal with for years, back in the 80's and 90's he was at his best, esp. on the AP turf.

He was deadly there....PETA would not have been a big fan of his, he loved his whip, and boy could he hit hard.

We rode him many times, and the welts our horses came back with were legendary.

He is a Hall of Famer, and could ride any surface, but on the turf he was the man. He was a good old southern boy....and for the most part everyone on the track loved him.
Knowclew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 09:37 AM   #11
Arapola

Talking The GREEN

Who could forget Fernando Toro in Cali?
Arapola is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #12
SandyW

Heliodoro Gustines

Heliodoro Gustines in is a retired Panamanian-born jockey and horse trainer. In 1967, TIME magazine called him "The best grass-course rider in the United States."Although Gustines is best known as a jockey on many of U.S. Racing Hall of Fame inductee Forego, the most important win in his riding career came in an American Classic Triple Crown race on June 1, 1968 when he rode Stage Door Johnny to victory in 2:27 1/5 in the Belmont Stakes. The following year, aboard Sharp-Eyed Quillo, he won the second leg of the Canadian Triple Crown, the Prince of Wales Stakes.After retiring as a jockey, Heliodoro Gustines took up training.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #13
pandy

Kent Desormeaux is a very good turf rider, too. The toughest turf courses to ride are at Saratoga, tight turns, tough competition, and Desormeaux was amazing there, as was Ramon D., Krone, Bailey, Cornelio Velasquez, Cordero.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
tophatmert

Bailey in his prime always seemed to get the first turn right from whatever post position he was coming from. He was rarely caught wide on the first turn and was very good at rating speed horses in behind faster early horses. Good turf riders get in trouble late in the race but rarely are finished on the first turn
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #15
ILovetheInner

Castellano is very strong. C Velazquez is excellent on the lawn, but played less.

Totally agree about Santos, who is my all time best. Quite a few of his rides are frozen in my head, particularly his ability to save all the ground and get through traffic. Just unreal. If I saw him in that position through the stretch close up, I never questioned if he had the horse. Santos won the BC Mile on Steinlen every bit as much as the horse did. I still miss Santos. Some of the best adrenaline rides I have seen in my lifetime on the grass.

Harvey Pack has said previously that "Samyn on the green" was more about the fun rhyme than anything else. Earlie Fires I didn't get to see much, but was legend.

Those are my memories. And of course Dominguez, whose intelligent and level headed riding would probably have led to mastery in a NYC traffic jam. I remain in withdrawal. Didn't care that he never had value....he could not have been more of a pleasure.
ILovetheInner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: