Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:06 PM   #61
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry
I have addressed it at length on Twitter today and yesterday: @peterberry57
thank you....and I'm glad you've stuck around on twitter
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #62
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
being that you work at the track vs. Me who was at the track I would think you might be able to add more then me...

just like if the topic was commercial bakeware I would be able to contribute more then you and I would provide the forum with my insight on that industry.
if you don't know anything then you don't know anything but if you do know something but you "dont want to be a whipping boy" then I think your greatly underestimating the maturity of myself and others on the forum. Your the track handicapper and on the track show correct? i dont think you have any control over race timing but I do think you have the ability to hear more then we hear

but I forgot this is racing which defies the logic of common sense
Look, this kind of thread poses a nasty catch 22 for me. Either speak against management or be branded a shill. It's a lose/lose scenario, the likes of which I've been gleefully dragged into numerous times over the years.

But, for the record, I'm not consulted, am outside the loop, and have heard no gossip about derby scheduling. And please understand there is nobody from mnr on this forum who possesses one scintilla of power or is even in the galaxy of that pay-grade.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-04-2014 at 10:44 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2014, 03:31 AM   #63
WP1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Look, this kind of thread poses a nasty catch 22 for me. Either speak against management or be branded a shill. It's a lose/lose scenario, the likes of which I've been gleefully dragged into numerous times over the years.

But, for the record, I'm not consulted, am outside the loop, and have heard no gossip about derby scheduling. And please understand there is nobody from mnr on this forum who possesses one scintilla of power or is even in the galaxy of that pay-grade.
This makes me sad.

I have always appreciated your opinion, with exception to the CC stuff.

You, whether they like it or not are the face of MNR. Not within one scintilla?
WP1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2014, 04:10 AM   #64
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:

But isn't "Avoiding the issue" shill-like in nature?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2014, 04:13 AM   #65
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
I have addressed it at length on Twitter today and yesterday: @peterberry57
Funny stuff. I'll be looking forward to that 335am post time so i can actually bet the race next year.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #66
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Funny stuff. I'll be looking forward to that 335am post time so i can actually bet the race next year.
Hong Kong and mnr would have mirrored posts lol
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM   #67
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
But isn't "Avoiding the issue" shill-like in nature?
tx for proving my point. very much.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #68
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by WP1981
This makes me sad.

I have always appreciated your opinion, with exception to the CC stuff.

You, whether they like it or not are the face of MNR. Not within one scintilla?
I get that, and tx. But these guys aren't commissioner Gordon, i'm not batman, and this place isn't the bat signal.

Doing tv is a very isolating experience. I'm so far outside the loop that I can't see the loop. And so is anybody else from mnr who posts here.

na na na na na na na na na na..................

Last edited by mountainman; 08-05-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #69
tanner12oz

Quote:
I get that, and tx. But these guys aren't commissioner Gordon, i'm not batman, and this place isn't the bat signal.

Doing tv is a very isolating experience. I'm so far outside the loop that I can't see the loop. And so is anybody else from mnr who posts here.

na na na na na na na na na na..................

that's funny cuz peter seems to have a reason for the conflicting posts.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #70
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
that's funny cuz peter seems to have a reason for the conflicting posts.
One that you couldn't come up with? Independently?
Seriously??????????

I'll take a wild guess here that tx exposure, those evil folks who run the whitney, and consequent dictums of fox factor in. Just a wild (wild) guess.

You can stroke him all you like for responding to the bat signal. I'll still post what I want, when I want.

Last edited by mountainman; 08-05-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 PM   #71
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
tx for proving my point. very much.
Um.

Ok,

You're welcome.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:14 PM   #72
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Mountainman is 100% correct: Neither he nor I have any say in or influence on the decisions made by Mountaineer management. Nor do I believe our opinions have ever been sought or would count for much anyway. We leave management alone, they leave us alone, which tends to extend the boundaries of our jobs. We unquestionably have more freedom than other announcers and commentators to express our opinions as to what is happening on the racetrack.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2014, 06:34 PM   #73
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Mountainman is 100% correct: Neither he nor I have any say in or influence on the decisions made by Mountaineer management. Nor do I believe our opinions have ever been sought or would count for much anyway. We leave management alone, they leave us alone, which tends to extend the boundaries of our jobs. We unquestionably have more freedom than other announcers and commentators to express our opinions as to what is happening on the racetrack.
They don't ask you guys for input, but i have to imagine that they would care about lost revenue and betting handle. A poster in one of these threads said they probably didn't need the money, but my experience is that people running these tracks try and be very conscious of how they can increase revenue, i can't imagine they would leave money on the table if they knew that running the race 2 or 3 minutes earlier or later would gain them extra handle.

Are they just out of touch with the general public and race horse bettors and just didn't realize that running a banner race on top of the #1 track in America when they are running one of their banner races wasn't the best idea they could have come up with?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:53 PM   #74
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

I was not thrilled that we ran against the Whitney but I understand how and why it happened. It may have cost us a few dollars but I think most players who wanted to bet the WV Derby would have done so no matter what. It was truly a great day of racing at Mountaineer on Saturday, the best I have experienced. I'm very exited about the future of the track and have every confidence in current management to make the right calls to take us forward, aside from keeping their current announcer.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #75
Track Phantom

Quote:
I was not thrilled that we ran against the Whitney but I understand how and why it happened. It may have cost us a few dollars but I think most players who wanted to bet the WV Derby would have done so no matter what. It was truly a great day of racing at Mountaineer on Saturday, the best I have experienced. I'm very exited about the future of the track and have every confidence in current management to make the right calls to take us forward, aside from keeping their current announcer.
Peter,

I bet both the Whitney and WV Derby. Although, I likely would have put more into either or both had they been separated a bit. I know this has been discussed a lot and opinions have been made. It was likely a business decision and difficult to alter.

I will say, I don't understand the logic of moving to daytime for the big race day. Everyone knows MNR is at night and can easily miss the fact that, for just this day, it was changed to the afternoon. I missed it myself a few times for that reason. Again, likely a logical reason for moving it to 2PM EST. I would advocate it would be much more highlighted with the traditional evening post time.