Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:53 PM   #16
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage
seems TO BE always WET & miserable for THIS day....bad luck...and almost always a CHALKfest when that occurs there...and damn-it...I don't know why .... ...ya'll have fun, ya hear!!!
I think I have attended 4-5 times recently and there has never been a drop...i do recall it being chalky at times though..types like Russell road and immortal eyes would typically show up and annihilate everyone...i went through the card and I think moonshine Mullin is going to be heavy chalk but that's the only one that jumps out to be as being under even money

remember those capping this that the "good ole boys" mentality does exist at mtr and in the event of a 50/50 type situation the track tends to side with the local boys...just sayin
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #17
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldiatone
it gets packed at MNR this day, have been there twice for Wva derby. my last day of work is sat, so i'll catch it on the web. have a nice time.
40 mins from the airport. if you go down the rt 30 route check out the big "tea pot" at the chester exit
thanks for the heads up, i have a bum knee right now and really don't feel like standing up the whole day. i called my friends in Pittsburgh and they got me a table and a room at the hotel if i decide to stay overnight.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2014, 08:36 PM   #18
tanner12oz

You travelling solo lambo? I'll look around and see if I got an extra chair if you don't mind riding the rail with me and my dad
Old 07-31-2014, 08:44 PM   #19
Track Phantom

Why would Mountaineer run their card during the day when they are head to head with both Del Mar and Saratoga (not to mention other viable options)? Wouldn't they get 85% of the attention if they kept it at night.

In addition, more than a few times they ran this card, I missed it as I didn't realize it was during the day.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:50 PM   #20
tanner12oz

The Whitney is scheduled 1 minute after the derby post....they ran it on Sunday till 3-4 years ago. Turf course has no lights so you would have to rework the card putting the weeds into the first few spots
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 PM   #21
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Last year, they ran it right on top of some other stakes race so it was shown on delay. Looks like they have not learned a thing in the year.

I could not care less about it this year - if they don't care about the bettors, screw them. I can spend my money at a lot of tracks.

Mnr will never be one of them.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:08 PM   #22
AlbertButtry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
The Whitney is scheduled 1 minute after the derby post....they ran it on Sunday till 3-4 years ago. Turf course has no lights so you would have to rework the card putting the weeds into the first few spots
2002 was the last time it was run at night. 2005 -06 they ran it on a Sunday. Since 2007 it has been run on the first Saturday in August with the 2:00 post time. The lights are actually high enough they could run on the turf at night. They did for a year or two but something about the dew that forms later in the evening prevents them. I loved going when it was run at night.
AlbertButtry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #23
picojim

Terrible camera work today
picojim is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2014, 02:54 PM   #24
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVGfan
Terrible camera work today
its awful, not sure what's happening there.....maybe they forgot there's exacta and tri wagering?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2014, 02:57 PM   #25
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Cell phone camera?
Old 08-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #26
Track Phantom

West Virginia Derby post time is EXACTLY the same as the G1 Whitney at Saratoga. Wow. Now that is not very good planning.

I loved the MNR card today...but keep it at night where proper attention will quadruple the wagering pools.

I'm sure there is a business reason for going at this time. Doesn't appear to make much sense to me.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:43 PM   #27
judd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
that looks awesome to me, i just got my plane tickets to Pittsburgh. gonna drive to Chester, W.V. from there and hang out at the Mountain that day.

if anyone else is headed that way, pm me, i'll buy the wiskey
Sorry I missed your post,I'm only an hour away-would have to liked to meet ya
Old 08-02-2014, 05:55 PM   #28
VeryOldMan

Good pick by mountainman and Nancy, and nice call by Peter Berry. Good job, fellow board members.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 PM   #29
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valento
West Virginia Derby post time is EXACTLY the same as the G1 Whitney at Saratoga. Wow. Now that is not very good planning.

I loved the MNR card today...but keep it at night where proper attention will quadruple the wagering pools.

I'm sure there is a business reason for going at this time. Doesn't appear to make much sense to me.
There has to be a specific reason they're running at the exact same time, there's 0 chance that they're just unaware of that stuff. Maybe we will find out someday while we're still young.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-02-2014, 08:52 PM   #30
tanner12oz

If the races go off at the same time then the mnr patrons can get to playing slots without having to waste 1:48 watching the Whitney...seriously I would believe anything at this point.

I know we have mnr folks on this board and everyone us mum on this year in year out