Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Dave Schwartz

HSH v9 is coming - You will want to read this

In the relatively near future - certainly before the Breeder's Cup - I will be releasing HSH version 9.

The featured "new technology" that will be released is "UNIQUE PAST PERFORMANCES."

What if you had a handicapping method or system that was based upon information that gave YOU a truly unique view of each horse's capabilities?

Please do not confuse this technology with anything currently available. This is NOT simply filtering existing pacelines to show only what you want to see. Neither is it simply adding rows or columns.

We worked long and hard to figure this out.

It began with several whiteboard sessions where we looked at what was wrong with our attack on the game. We reached several highly negative conclusions in those sessions. Among those were:
  • Everyone has the same information.
  • There is not enough data for each horse.
  • The paceline approach is too time sensitive.
  • There are too many facets of the game missing from the current paceline system.
  • The entire system is too speed-rating-sensitive.
  • The entire value-based process is too tote-change-sensitive.

There are other problems that we came up with, but these were enough for us to get to thinking about potential solutions. As we whiteboarded for those solutions, attempting to think out of the box, we came to the conclusion that this was the biggest issue of all:

Everyone has the same information.

Almost as a joke, we decided that solving this one would be enough to give EVERY one of our users an advantage that the rest of the world would be hard-pressed to find.

I recall when I wrote "UNIQUE PAST PERFORMANCES" on the board as a target, followed by the word "HOW?"

We stared at it for awhile. Laughed at how ridiculous it all sounded, and then, just as we were going to move on to other potential solutions, my wife, Beth, says, "Wait... Could you... ??" and the idea was born.

Pretty soon we were taking it seriously. After 2 or 3 more whiteboard sessions, I got a couple of other people involved by asking questions of people I respect in racing. Delta Lover was one of those people, although he might not have realized it at the time. I bounced a couple of ideas off him, which led to even more ideas.

Ultimately, my small team finalized the process which, in my opinion, solves ALL the major problems that handicappers face:
  • Proliferation of common information preventing the gain of an informational advantage without copious amounts of higher math.
  • Dependency on tiny, narrow (almost meaningless) samples of data (i.e. pacelines) to build studies from.
  • Too great a dependency upon the Final Odds (which do not truly exist for people wagering in the real world) to determine value.
  • Inability to build a reasonably accurate and testable probability for each horse without a stable of deep mathematicians supporting you (i.e. Whales).

Is this a TEASER? You bet it is! I am trying to tease my past customers into coming back.

There are several hundred of you out there who purchased HSH and are not currently using it. I want you to come back!

Be aware that if you have ever been a registered HSH user you will be entitled to upgrade to version 9 for a nominal upgrade fee. (Nominal is synonymous with SMALL; very small.) It does not matter how far back you were a user! Once a registered user, always entitled to come back.

Note: Current or recent active users will not face any upgrade fee.

Anyone who read this far probably wants more details. I am not willing to divulge much right now but I will tell you more when you are ready to come back as a customer.

I also suggest that you come back BEFORE HSH v9 is released because you are going to want several months of data to play with this effectively. (Obviously, when it comes to data, more is always better than less.)

If you are ready to come back now, the pre-release upgrade fee is only $59. After the official release it will be at least $89.

Just call the office to get the upgrade process started. 775.853.1234.

Please note: When you call, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to speak to me directly. Beth will be able to handle the questions pertinent to your return. Once you come back, you will be invited to our upcoming private workshops where you can learn more.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 07-13-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
MrBill

Old User

Hi Dave;

I am one of the several hundred previous users of HSH and I'd thought I'd give you my perspective. I don't post much (lurk everyday though). I enjoyed using the software and had a lot of fun with it along with making some money. Interestingly, I probably had the most success with it using the SLT's (Sheet like Things) at smaller tracks like Remington.

The problem is I have a full time job and currently am living on my own, so I don't have a lot of free time during the week. I tend to be a weekend warrior when it comes to racing, since this is really the only time I have available to do it. I'm not sure how your software works these days, but I know I did a LOT of testing and trial and error using Pickmaster and some of the other tools in the software. I just don't have the time to do this. The data downloads are $129.00 per month which is a lot to overcome before I have even made a wager.

I'd like to see a business model/software developed for people like me (this includes other data driven software like HTR) - people who play part time. I have been betting for many years and get a real thrill out of the game. As it is, I probably wouldn't use software like HSH until I retire.

You provide great support for your software and I have no complaints in anyway. I wish you well with your newest endeavor.

MrBill
MrBill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2014, 09:58 PM   #3
Dave Schwartz

Bill,

I absolutely hear what you are saying.

Ironically, what you describe is very common. That is, the intensity with which most HSH users test and run their software.

The primary goals of HSH are:

1) To provide a platform that is capable of winning using an automated (or semi-automated) approach.

2) To make the user's race day experience smooth and exhilarating.

The ironic part is that they way the software operates makes #2 absolutely easy to accomplish. I mean, imagine...

*Marks tracks and races you would be interested in playing by filtering
*sorts those races by post time so you don't miss anything
*grabs early scratches
*captures tote odds and new scratches
*allows you to build a betting system
*fires the betting system on demand
*builds a "standard" bet upload file for many ADWs
*captures your wagers for later study
(including the horses you didn't bet),
*grabs payoffs
*tracks how the bets have done (including your rebates)

The point is that PLAYING the races becomes an absolute pleasure.

Even more so considering that the prep time is typically zero. Of course you download the files (which can be done automatically on a schedule), and you must import the files (which can also be done automatically), but beyond that it is just go to the races.

When I play with a 9:30am post, I am in my studio at around 8:50 to make sure all the files are downloaded and imported already. At 9am I get my TVs going (RTN system) - (Link to Studio picture) - BTW, HSH tracks my satellite channels.

After that, it is non-stop PLAYING and WATCHING! What could be better?

But playing and winning are not the same thing.

The most difficult of these two goals is clearly #1: winning. About 20-25% of our users are winning players, and several win at a "professional level. That still leaves 75-80% of our users that are not winning players.

The great majority of our users are all about winning. If they are not convinced they are going to win, they will not play.

Why do they not win? Because horse racing is always an individual journey. I coach, I help... occasionally I even share a system that I have been winning with. I have never completely understood why one person uses a system successfully and another does not.

I have seen it for years. Even have a professional player who gave me his precise system. It worked for me to some degree - I was down around 2% before rebate - but I never saw the 4% profit (before rebate) that he got.

I am hoping that The Unique Past Performances will make it easier. It will certainly put the responsibility clearly in the hands of the user even more than it is now.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 07-14-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #4
thaskalos

Why one player wins...and the other loses.

Most players have totally unrealistic expectations when they start to really apply themselves in this game. They think that, once they attain a certain skill level, their results will achieve a level of consistency which will spare them the frustration that the exasperating losing streaks inflict on "lesser" players. Yes...most players will readily acknowledge that losing streaks are an inescapable part of the game...but acknowledgement is not the same as "understanding". What the weekend warrior calls a "losing streak" is very different from the losings streaks that the everyday player is acutely acquainted with.

As the hobbyist gets more serious about the game, and he acquires more handicapping skills...he starts playing the game more often -- so he can put his newly-acquired skills to more profitable use. That's when he discovers that the game is much more turbulent than his hobbyist experience had led him to believe. He experiences highs and lows that he is not prepared for...and he soon loses confidence in himself and his "system". His expectations of what a "winner" should be is contradicted by first-hand experience...and he doesn't know what to do.

IMO, he should REJOICE...because he has just learned the most important lesson that this game has to teach. THERE IS NO CONSISTENCY IN THIS GAME...no matter WHAT your level of expertise might be. We are all in this together...and we ALL experience these dizzying highs and humiliating lows. And the bigger bettors get even more frustrated by them than the smaller bettors do.

The best "system" doesn't get the money; the best MINDSET does. Because, no matter how good your "system" is...inconsistency will be your constant companion at the track. And what will your "system" do about that?
Old 07-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #5
Rferguson

should be

Why one player wins...and the other 99 loses
Rferguson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2014, 12:16 AM   #6
Dave Schwartz

You guys make it sound like it is not about the quality of the handicapping as much as it is some touchy-feely, gritty thing.

While I agree that it takes a winner's mindset to win, a guy with a great mindset and less-than-stellar handicapping tools will not make that upper 1%.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 AM   #7
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
You guys make it sound like it is not about the quality of the handicapping as much as it is some touchy-feely, gritty thing.

While I agree that it takes a winner's mindset to win, a guy with a great mindset and less-than-stellar handicapping tools will not make that upper 1%.
There doesn't seem to be a shortage of "stellar handicapping tools"; there are plenty of them all around...and most of them come highly recommended.

But the winning players are still few and far between...

There is a big difference between having stellar handicapping tools...and being a stellar player.

Last edited by thaskalos; 07-18-2014 at 12:57 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #8
Moto Pete

Unless you meant it's speed and ease of use I don't think Bill's point was addressed. While I've never been a HSH subscriber I did use HTR for a few years. It's pricing is similar to HSH and like BIll I found myself too busy with life to devote much time to racing. I'm far from a $2 bettor but I'm not a heavy hitter either. The cost of the subscription versus the number of races played a month is a lot to overcome. Like Bill I dropped HTR and wish there was a program that was priced daily instead of monthly.
Moto Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
Dave Schwartz

Unless you meant it's speed and ease of use I don't think Bill's point was addressed. While I've never been a HSH subscriber I did use HTR for a few years. It's pricing is similar to HSH and like BIll I found myself too busy with life to devote much time to racing. I'm far from a $2 bettor but I'm not a heavy hitter either. The cost of the subscription versus the number of races played a month is a lot to overcome. Like Bill I dropped HTR and wish there was a program that was priced daily instead of monthly.

Moto,

Quote:
Unless you meant it's speed and ease of use I don't think Bill's point was addressed.
I believe his point was "speed and ease of use."

Quote:
...like Bill I found myself too busy with life to devote much time to racing.
Products such as HSH are not designed for the guy who wants to play the races once or twice per month. Guys such as yourself are simply not the target market for software that takes a serious development investment.

Quote:
...wish there was a program that was priced daily instead of monthly.
The cost of producing such a program is just not going to permit it to be available to someone who is only going to generate a couple of dollars per month in revenue.

You know, I can precisely connect to where you are coming from, but for me it is a boat.

I live 35 minutes from Lake Tahoe, one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. I would love to go out on the lake 3 or 4 times per summer on a boat.

Considering the complete investment in the boat - the initial purchase price plus the upkeep - how can a 4-times-per-year boater justify his purchase? The answer is that I can't.

Instead, I can rent a boat at Tahoe for the day on those 4 times when I really have a hankering to get out on the lake. However, the cost per day is around $750 and I simply cannot justify that very often, either.

Unfortunately, I do not get to have the boating experience that I want without spending a substantial amount of money (something I choose not to do).

And that is the point: The occasional player simply cannot cost-effectively get access to the best software and data. That is simply how it works.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 07-18-2014 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
traynor

Quote:
And that is the point: The occasional player simply cannot cost-effectively get access to the best software and data. That is simply how it works.
I think the major reason occasional players are occasional players is that they are losing (and limiting losses) or only winning trivial amounts. I think if the best software and data were consistently profitable, a LOT of those occasional bettors would decide it was far more cost-effective to wager seriously on a steady (if not full-time) basis than whatever else they are doing.

The problem seems more the lack of consistently profitable software and data than anything else. Cost-effective is directly related to profitability. If profit is there, the initial cost and ongoing cost are secondary. Simple cost-benefit analysis. Just like buying (or starting) any other kind of business.

Occasional (or "recreational") bettors are only so because they lack the skills or tools to consistently win significant profits.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #11
098poi

Dave,
I am a current HSH user and look forward to any new upgrade you offer. I don't use it like most people and probably don't take advantage of all it offers now. I don't wager much anymore but I enjoy handicapping and playing in the contests here.

As far as a new approach I am sure there will be one of your always interesting instructional videos. The one thing I want you to focus on in this new one is to be as specific as possible about usage, configuration setup etc. Sometimes in your videos you get out the information you want but there may other fields or boxes and you offhandedly say don't worry about this or I use this value sometimes I check this or that and it confuses more than helps. Don't address what we don't need. Make a video, watch it or have a user watch it (I will for a nominal fee, ha, ha) and see if you are throwing in extra comments or addressing things that the user watching might get confused about. If it takes a script as opposed to and outline or guideline for the video so be it. (I don't know the process you use now but I know you work hard) I am not trying to be detrimental just offering an idea to assist in getting out your new product. Bob
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #12
Moto Pete

I'm not trying to be argumentative but I don't think we're connecting here. Typical message board dysfunction.

"The problem is I have a full time JOB and currently am living on my own, so I don't have a lot of free time during the week. I tend to be a weekend warrior when it comes to racing, since this is really the only time I have available to do it. I'm not sure how your software works these days, but I know I did a LOT of testing and trial and error using Pickmaster and some of the other tools in the software. I just don't have the time to do this. The data downloads are $129.00 per month which is a lot to overcome before I have even made a WAGER."

A weekend warrior is 8 days a month. And to be honest if someone plays 8 days a month he's not an occasional player. We're not pros, we do have a job and a family and we do devote significant time to the sport. When I read Bill's comment it struck a cord. We seem to have parallel handicapping lives. I subscribed to HTR for 3 years and downloaded every day and capped most. Maybe I got burned out, but I've also taken on some work that is taking it's toll on me. So for now I'm an occasional player but that might change.

I fully understand the economics of the pricing. It's just too bad for guys like me and Bill that we can't get the best data without paying more than is practical.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:19 PM   #13
Dave Schwartz

Pete,

It is too bad. It is also too bad that I don't get my boat.

The economics just don't work for the vendor.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #14
Moto Pete

I completely understand. Ken has said the same thing and I'm sure JCapper and RDSS would too. But as a former daily player who will get back to that level sometime in the near future, if there was something available to me now on a al a carte basis I'd buy it and the vendor would end up making out in the long run.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #15
Exotic1

Quote:
Pete,

It is too bad. It is also too bad that I don't get my boat.

The economics just don't work for the vendor.
Just to be clear, Can you or Can't you use your software for boat races?
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: