Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:29 PM   #61
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

For the record, I didn't apply for the NYRA job. They no doubt would like someone a little younger. I'll be happy enough if the new Mountaineer owners keep me.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 10:23 PM   #62
Billnewman

I don't know how to trim the video down to just the ending but it's my favorite call at the finish. Slambino won!! He's 88 to 1 !!!!!

http://youtu.be/PzvFTRWJzYM
Billnewman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 10:35 PM   #63
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by bello
Back to the original thread question. I hope someone is taking a lok at Tony Calo of Finger Lakes. Excellent knowledge of how the race is setting up and who will still challenge turning for home. Great voice. Deserves a shot at the big time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfegveyR_mw
Anyone know if Collmus knew of Durkin's intentions and was able to consider when taking the Churchill gig? Collmus to me would have/is an obvious choice, but I presume he is locked up by Churchill for some time frame.

BTW saw Collmus @ Mth on UN Day last Sunday. He's living on the Shore for the summer.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 11:39 PM   #64
Thebigguy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
As a lifelong NYRA homer, I have to completely disagree with you. I don't care about the accent. I care about the call. And Peter Berry is definitely on my short list of announcers who I think would deserve a shot at the big stage.
Any idea about who is being considered? I can't find any info anywhere. I hope its Vic, I always liked his calls.
Thebigguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2014, 11:50 PM   #65
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigguy
Any idea about who is being considered? I can't find any info anywhere. I hope its Vic, I always liked his calls.
When Vic was on here discussing his options going forward, he indicated a desire to not travel a lot and to stay on the west coast.
I would really like to see Vic take the NYRA job, but I think that possibility is remote.
RATS!!!!!
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #66
TheEdge07
Veteran

John Dooley my 1st choice
Vic
Sam McKee
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2014, 09:59 AM   #67
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07
John Dooley my 1st choice
Vic
Sam McKee
Sam McKee would be an interesting choice. Same path Durkin took. I think McKee's calls are really good and he does a nice job of elevating the excitement as the race progresses. Very descriptive too.
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2014, 10:05 AM   #68
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebigguy
my experience in applying for announcer jobs, which is only a few...is rumors will circulate amongst the boys...someone will quietly get interviewed and hired....an announcement will be made.....then everyone will start gossiping on who is gonna get the job of the guy who just got the NYRA job.

it never ends LOL

But you won't hear any "info" or rumors. they keep the lid tight on these deals
Old 07-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #69
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

NYRA already has the best announcer out there on its payroll.
And it ain't Tom.

Johnny I is far and away there best there is.
If I were NYRA, I'd be looking for a good second man to learn from the best.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #70
TheEdge07
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab
Sam McKee would be an interesting choice. Same path Durkin took. I think McKee's calls are really good and he does a nice job of elevating the excitement as the race progresses. Very descriptive too.
Mckee is real good
Listen to his call Somebeachsomewhere vs Art Officail in the Meadowlands pace final..

Somebeachsomewhere defeated AO earlier in the card..In that race SM used the phrase SBSW has kicked some SANDUST ON ART OFFICIALS FACE..it was classic..

Last edited by TheEdge07; 07-13-2014 at 10:38 AM.
TheEdge07 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #71
NTamm1215

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge07
Mckee is real good
Listen to his call Somebeachsomewhere vs Art Officail in the Meadowlands pace final..

Somebeachsomewhere defeated AO earlier in the card..In that race SM used the phrase SBSW has kicked some SANDUST ON ART OFFICIALS FACE..it was classic..
Sam McKee is a great harness caller with a significant job at the Big M. I'm sure he's happy to do what he's doing moving forward. Doubt he's even interested in NYRA.
NTamm1215 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #72
BlueShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhattab
Sam McKee would be an interesting choice.
Odd, do not recall ever hearing him call a TB race. Have heard Ken Warkentin, who is pretty good. With California's very restrictive simulcast policy, there are many announcers that we never or only rarely get to hear.

Another top announcer, whom I consider to be among the top five in the nation, is Kurt Becker. However, believe that he is involved with auto racing when away from Keeneland, so he might not be available or interested in the NYRA position.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #73
ArlJim78

I've heard Sam McKee call thoroughbred races at the old Detroit Race Course when it was owned by Ladbroke. This was probably some 20 years ago. Actually he was/is quite good at it.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2014, 11:43 AM   #74
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
NYRA already has the best announcer out there on its payroll.
And it ain't Tom.

Johnny I is far and away there best there is.
If I were NYRA, I'd be looking for a good second man to learn from the best.
I happen to like Johnny I. Sometimes you want to hear someone who just doesn't get in the way - he has many other positive attributes.

Picking up live horses from the mid or back of pack is important. T. Durkin picked up the #5 from another galaxy in the fifth yesterday.

I think Travis Stone is very good at Monmouth.

Last edited by Exotic1; 07-13-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #75
wiffleball whizz
Dead money

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Sam McKee is a great harness caller with a significant job at the Big M. I'm sure he's happy to do what he's doing moving forward. Doubt he's even interested in NYRA.
With the meadowlands only racing fri and sat and dark a lot of the year I'm sure he wouldn't turn down the announcer job

Ken warkentin is great....and can call both breeds