Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 28 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:10 PM   #46
thespaah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,073
Rep Power: 18 thespaah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses
I agree with all you say, until the last part.

Never say never - especially when it comes to "easy money".

It's always blown me away how much money can be bet - either legally
or otherwise - on a single game point spread in this country.
The perfect scenario for "fixing" is a huge favorite (say, over 14 points in
either football or basketball) that still wins the game, but doesn't
come close to covering the spread. The casual bystander thinks
nothing of it - after all, the favorite won the game. End of story.

You are correct in saying that pro athletes would be harder to bribe.
College athletes are far more prone to "take a dive".
However, nothing is impossible when large sums of cash are involved.

These types of "non-covering favorite" situations could occur pretty easily
with little risk of detection. Unless, those involved got too greedy and tried it
once too often.

Where would they get the wagers down?
Hard to say, except that large illegal bookmakers might be very interested
in being able to lay large sums at favorable spreads to unsuspecting bettors
in the knowledge that they won't be having to pay out.

This is where the pro sports bodies, and the NCAA, start to cough uncomfortably,
and try to change the topic of discussion.
They always deny that legal books in Nevada are the best possible
barometer for uncovering point-shaving and fixing situations.
Unusual betting patterns can be detected in Nevada pretty easily,
and those responsible actually have a chance of being caught.
This has happened on more than one occasion - an Arizona State
point-shaving scheme comes to mind in 1994.

Under current conditions, with billions being bet illegally
both in the US and with the offshore books, game fixing is far more difficult to detect.
Pro sports, and the NCAA, have no desire to make changes.
They argue their games will become tainted
should gambling on them be legalized beyond Nevada.
They don't want change because they are making billions as things stand.

I won't go into the probable influences on those who lobby politically
for these sports bodies. You can draw your own conclusions.
It's safe to say, though, that all involved do very nicely
under the current state of affairs. They long to maintain the status quo.

This state of inertia, when it comes to sports wagering, goes against the wishes of a growing number of younger voters. It's not a critical issue, by any means, but, like marijuana, it has gained more prominence.

Here's hoping it continues to do so, and that eventually each state
will have a choice as to whether it's residents can wager legally
on a sporting event.
Right...never say never.
Look, I just don't buy the idea that if sports betting is permitted beyond the borders of Nevada, the sports world will experience a spontaneous combustion.
IN the end, we're adults. We should be permitted the right to make up our minds as to sports wagering.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2014, 02:18 PM   #47
thaskalos
"Awake!"
 
thaskalos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 20,471
Rep Power: 40 thaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to beholdthaskalos is a splendid one to behold
There are "gambling laws" in this country?

There are two OTBs within a four-mile drive of my place of residence...and there is a full-scale casino 9 minutes away. Local bars and restaurants have legally installed slot machines...and, as if all that weren't enough, there is even a place called "Stella's" that's opened up nearby...which is strictly a gambling parlor featuring five slot machines, thinly camouflaged by a very limited eating and drinking menu.

And yet...it is still illegal for me to invite a group of friends over for a night of poker...and I am breaking the "law" if I place a bet on my favorite team so I can watch the game at home with a cold beer.

And they call this "justice"...?
__________________
My whole body cries out against the inhumanity of regular employment.

Last edited by thaskalos; 06-30-2014 at 02:19 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #48
horses4courses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,494
Rep Power: 21 horses4courses is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Right...never say never.
Look, I just don't buy the idea that if sports betting is permitted beyond the borders of Nevada, the sports world will experience a spontaneous combustion.
IN the end, we're adults. We should be permitted the right to make up our minds as to sports wagering.
You're absolutely right
__________________
This is one giant reality tv show now, right???
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #49
horses4courses
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,494
Rep Power: 21 horses4courses is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
There are two OTBs within a four-mile drive of my place of residence...and there is a full-scale casino 9 minutes away. Local bars and restaurants have legally installed slot machines...and, as if all that weren't enough, there is even a place called "Stella's" that's opened up nearby...which is strictly a gambling parlor featuring five slot machines, thinly camouflaged by a very limited eating and drinking menu.

And yet...it is still illegal for me to invite a group of friends over for a night of poker...and I am breaking the "law" if I place a bet on my favorite team so I can watch the game at home with a cold beer.

And they call this "justice"...?
Pretty screwed up, alright
__________________
This is one giant reality tv show now, right???
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 PM   #50
Redboard
$2 Showbettor
 
Redboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,353
Rep Power: 0 Redboard is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Please explain to me how Christie in his first year of office was getting anything done without the cooperation of the senate presidents approval. Last time I looked he was a republican in a heavily dominated senate and assembly by the opposing party. Lets throw in Sweeney is from south Jersey do you really think he cares about Secaucus?

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/n...a4bcf887a.html


Camden? REALLY??? Camden? Do you really think you could get one corporation to invest in a casino LOCATED IN CAMDEN??? May be its convenient for you but he would be impeached if a dollar from state funds was invested there for gambling purposes. My hunch is nine out of ten potential customers would drive up to an additional thirty miles to avoid going there.



http://www.us-places.com/New-Jersey/...-by-County.htm
Besides the size of the native population, Philly is usually in the top 15 cities visited in the U.S. How many visitors does Middlesex or Newark get every year? There is one casino in Philly now, but a little competition never hurt and if the place offered better gambling options, who wouldn't walk across the bridge.

The Philadelphia 76ers are investing $82 million on a new practice facility in Camden.

http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2...est_in_us.html

They could put a casino in the same area, which is known as the Camden waterfront. There’s a ball park there for their minor league team, a concert arena, an Aquarium. Handle security the same way they do in AC, hire extra police to patrol a designated area.

As far as Monmouth, they already has the infrastructure along with parking etc. No need to build anything. Of course it would have to be approved by the horsemen.



The 76ers plan to build it in parking lot #2 on the map below.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg camden2.jpg (83.0 KB, 120 views)
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2014, 04:37 PM   #51
thespaah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 7,073
Rep Power: 18 thespaah is on a distinguished road
Camden? God bless them...
I'm NOT going to Camden.
I like my body to remain intact
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #52
Redboard
$2 Showbettor
 
Redboard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,353
Rep Power: 0 Redboard is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Camden? God bless them...
I'm NOT going to Camden.
I like my body to remain intact
Don’t be afraid. I go there all the time to see concerts and Riversharks baseball. If you’re a scared, get a dog!
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2014, 05:38 PM   #53
onefast99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,786
Rep Power: 16 onefast99 will become famous soon enough
As far as Monmouth, they already has the infrastructure along with parking etc. No need to build anything. Of course it would have to be approved by the horsemen.
The horsemen are the reason MP is still operating!
__________________
Monmouth Park...keep racing in NJ!
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-30-2014, 07:38 PM   #54
SandyW
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 821
Rep Power: 6 SandyW is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99
What federal law will jersey be violating? The answer there is no federal law on the books preventing jersey from rescinding its sports betting laws as long as they don't sponser or promote sports betting.

Allan
Ask Delaware what happened when they tried to start up full time sports betting.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2014, 08:14 AM   #55
Canarsie
Registered User
 
Canarsie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,459
Rep Power: 12 Canarsie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard
Besides the size of the native population, Philly is usually in the top 15 cities visited in the U.S. How many visitors does Middlesex or Newark get every year? There is one casino in Philly now, but a little competition never hurt and if the place offered better gambling options, who wouldn't walk across the bridge.

The Philadelphia 76ers are investing $82 million on a new practice facility in Camden.

http://www.nj.com/camden/index.ssf/2...est_in_us.html

They could put a casino in the same area, which is known as the Camden waterfront. There’s a ball park there for their minor league team, a concert arena, an Aquarium. Handle security the same way they do in AC, hire extra police to patrol a designated area.

As far as Monmouth, they already has the infrastructure along with parking etc. No need to build anything. Of course it would have to be approved by the horsemen.



The 76ers plan to build it in parking lot #2 on the map below.
Again please explain to me how this has anything to do with the governor who you ripped when certain things are beyond his control. He pledged tax cuts but there are none because the legislature balked. Same deal with Atlantic City but now you are concentrating solely on Camden.

The aquarium was a mistake the day it was conceived lets go all the way back to 1994

Camden's Aquarium Risks Ignominy; Drab Exhibits a Problem as Complex Fails to Lift Waterfront

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/10/17/ny...ails-lift.html

What a tremendous waste of taxpayer money people choose to spend their money elsewhere.

The 76ers got a $82 million dollar tax break to locate there another waste of taxpayer dollars. People don't go watch them in the regular season how many will watch practice besides their inept (evaluating basketball they stole this money) executives. This isn't even a NJ team the EDA should be disbanded.

You kill the governor for investing $263 million but its ok for 82 mil to be spent on this disgrace. Be consistent at least it will enhance your argument slightly.


There will be more security people at the complex than visitors even from the immediate area. If they charge even a dollar it will be a ghost town. If its free I can only imagine the crowd that goes in there to escape the heat.

You might be the only person to attempt to walk across the bridge but I'll put the odds at 100/1. Please inform me if you attempt it. A pic fron the middle of the bridge would be appreciated.

Why not build two racetracks within five miles of each other Philly is in the top fifteen cities visited in the U.S. Build it as close to Parx as you can according to your logic. We need to spend more taxpayer dollars on stuff like this right?

How many of these visitors go into Camden? If you can find me a stat that shows 5% I'll fold my cards and declare you the champ.
Canarsie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #56
Robert Goren
Racing Form Detective
 
Robert Goren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lincoln, Ne but my heart is at Santa Anita
Posts: 16,316
Rep Power: 29 Robert Goren has a spectacular aura aboutRobert Goren has a spectacular aura aboutRobert Goren has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
As far as Monmouth, they already has the infrastructure along with parking etc. No need to build anything. Of course it would have to be approved by the horsemen.
The horsemen are the reason MP is still operating!
It is my understanding that they are not the reason it is operating, but they are actually operating it.
__________________
Some day in the not too distant future, horse players will betting on computer generated races over the net. Race tracks will become casinos and shopping centers. And some crooner will be belting out "there used to be a race track here".
Robert Goren is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2014, 02:52 PM   #57
onefast99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 5,786
Rep Power: 16 onefast99 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goren
It is my understanding that they are not the reason it is operating, but they are actually operating it.
The NJSEA turned over the operation to the horsemen in May 2012 after Morris Bailey bailed out. Dennis Drazin and Darby Development along with the horsemen run Favorites in Woodbridge, the new favorites in Hillsborough(opening soon)and MP racetrack. There are several "joint" ventures between Jeff Gural(runs the Meadowlands harness)and Drazin are trying to do but thus far they haven't been successful.

Monmouth Park Racetrack is off and running but operating now under the management of the New Jersey Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association (NJTHA).

According to Dennis Drazin, NJTHA Advisor, the time had come to privatize the racetrack. “The horsemen stepped up to the plate and they feel very good about the fact that now they control their own destiny,” said Drazin. “There’s no uncertainty anymore. The horsemen can make this work, we have the vision, we have the where with all, so the state’s out the business and were in charge.”
__________________
Monmouth Park...keep racing in NJ!
onefast99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2014, 04:24 AM   #58
biggestal99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,468
Rep Power: 7 biggestal99 has a spectacular aura aboutbiggestal99 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by onefast99
The NJSEA turned over the operation to the horsemen in May 2012 after Morris Bailey bailed out. Dennis Drazin and Darby Development along with the horsemen run Favorites in Woodbridge, the new favorites in Hillsborough(opening soon)and MP racetrack. There are several "joint" ventures between Jeff Gural(runs the Meadowlands harness)and Drazin are trying to do but thus far they haven't been successful.

Monmouth Park Racetrack is off and running but operating now under the management of the New Jersey Thoroughbred Horsemen’s Association (NJTHA).

According to Dennis Drazin, NJTHA Advisor, the time had come to privatize the racetrack. “The horsemen stepped up to the plate and they feel very good about the fact that now they control their own destiny,” said Drazin. “There’s no uncertainty anymore. The horsemen can make this work, we have the vision, we have the where with all, so the state’s out the business and were in charge.”
With sports betting, exchange wagering , and a concert venue coming on board the horsemen have made sweeping changes to monmouth , thanks to the legislature and some innovative thinking.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2014, 05:39 AM   #59
davew
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7,722
Rep Power: 17 davew has a spectacular aura aboutdavew has a spectacular aura aboutdavew has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses
They should just go ahead and do this and see what the Fed Govt does. Marijuana is illegal at the federal level but it has not stopped many states.
Having Democratic governor's makes less of a target for Holder / Obama.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #60
olddaddy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,062
Rep Power: 10 olddaddy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
There are two OTBs within a four-mile drive of my place of residence...and there is a full-scale casino 9 minutes away. Local bars and restaurants have legally installed slot machines...and, as if all that weren't enough, there is even a place called "Stella's" that's opened up nearby...which is strictly a gambling parlor featuring five slot machines, thinly camouflaged by a very limited eating and drinking menu.

And yet...it is still illegal for me to invite a group of friends over for a night of poker...and I am breaking the "law" if I place a bet on my favorite team so I can watch the game at home with a cold beer.

And they call this "justice"...?
Dont forget about bingo halls and lottery games at every gas station and grocery store.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Meet Sheet Factors
ITM% - 41.67%
5 Votes
WIN% - 50.00%
6 Votes
Total Earnings - 0%
0 Votes
Earnings Per Start (@Meet) - 16.67%
2 Votes
Total Votes: 12
Non-members may not vote on this poll.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2018 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved -- Best Viewed in a modern browser @ 1280x720 Resolution Or Higher
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.