Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapper's Corner

Old 06-18-2014, 08:10 PM   #1
Capper Al

testing

Soon the first phase of my new program will be tested. It is always difficult to determine if an individual attribute has value. Using only strike rate or only ROI doesn't quite get it. The problem, in this complex game, is that an attribute on its own may not be profitable but could be supportive in a comprehensive mix. Frederick Davis instead of tracking the top rated attribute's hit rate only, would track any of the top three ranked hit rates. If the hit rate for any of the top three came in at over 62%, it was considered good. This makes sense. Consider you found a factor that wasn't time or speed based with the top three having a strike rate of 70%. Now you have your contenders in your new found factor.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
cashmachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper Al
Using only strike rate or only ROI doesn't quite get it.
Why ROI is not good? After all it is ROI you are interested in. Hit rate of top three choices doesn't take into account field size, nor odds of those three horses. I think ROI is less misleading.
cashmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashmachine
Why ROI is not good? After all it is ROI you are interested in. Hit rate of top three choices doesn't take into account field size, nor odds of those three horses. I think ROI is less misleading.
Most cappers who test use strike rate (win percentage) or ROI or impact value. Probably most don't test. But those that do test very few succeed.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 06-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
Capper Al

What I'm suggesting is that there might be needed other ways to look at results. Given the idea that in a comprehensive mix that the sum is expected to be greater than the whole, an isolated factor may not be needed to be profitable on it's own.

Anatole France

Old 06-19-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Soon the first phase of my new program will be tested. It is always difficult to determine if an individual attribute has value. Using only strike rate or only ROI doesn't quite get it. The problem, in this complex game, is that an attribute on its own may not be profitable but could be supportive in a comprehensive mix. Frederick Davis instead of tracking the top rated attribute's hit rate only, would track any of the top three ranked hit rates. If the hit rate for any of the top three came in at over 62%, it was considered good. This makes sense. Consider you found a factor that wasn't time or speed based with the top three having a strike rate of 70%. Now you have your contenders in your new found factor.
Who is Fredrick Davis?

Are you blindly betting all or some of the top three (or xx number of) rated attributes or those over 62% or whatever? You aren't considering the distance, pace or speed for the race? Or, is it incorporated in the attributes?

Are you going to provide real time examples of handicapping with your new program?

I'm always interested in different (or new) approaches to handicapping. It's the way one improves.

Thanks,
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike
Who is Fredrick Davis?

Are you blindly betting all or some of the top three (or xx number of) rated attributes or those over 62% or whatever? You aren't considering the distance, pace or speed for the race? Or, is it incorporated in the attributes?

Are you going to provide real time examples of handicapping with your new program?

I'm always interested in different (or new) approaches to handicapping. It's the way one improves.

Thanks,
Betting on nothing. I'm actually going to test on paper so to speak. I'm not testing a selection method but only one factor, class ratings. I will be comparing mine to BRIS'. BRIS does do an excellent job with their race ratings (RR) and their class ratings (CR). Eventually, I will be providing real time examples. If you are looking for new approaches and are not using BRIS' class ratings, I suggest that you look into them.

Anatole France

Old 06-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Capper Al

Fred Davis wrote Percentages & Probabilities back in the day, a long time ago. It is a classic handicapping book.

Anatole France

Old 06-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
classhandicapper

Quote:
I'm not testing a selection method but only one factor, class ratings. I will be comparing mine to BRIS'. BRIS does do an excellent job with their race ratings (RR) and their class ratings (CR).
Interested in the results.
Old 06-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Capper Al

Am surprised that more developers haven't jumped into this conversation. Testing methods might be as propriety as formulas.

Anatole France

Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
traynor

Quote:
Am surprised that more developers haven't jumped into this conversation. Testing methods might be as propriety as formulas.
Yuh. Especially the ones that work.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #11
dkithore

Quote:
Betting on nothing. I'm actually going to test on paper so to speak. I'm not testing a selection method but only one factor, class ratings. I will be comparing mine to BRIS'. BRIS does do an excellent job with their race ratings (RR) and their class ratings (CR). Eventually, I will be providing real time examples. If you are looking for new approaches and are not using BRIS' class ratings, I suggest that you look into them.
AL,

I use BRIS CR regularly but have not figured out use of RR. Does it mean theoretically, higher RR and CR are better? Is that it?

Do you mind telling me how You use it? Thx.
dkithore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #12
Billnewman

I think RR means the average class of that race
Billnewman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #13
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkithore
AL,

I use BRIS CR regularly but have not figured out use of RR. Does it mean theoretically, higher RR and CR are better? Is that it?

Do you mind telling me how You use it? Thx.
It does indirectly because because CR is based off RR or vise versa. They are related, and yes higher is better.

Anatole France

Old 06-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #14
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billnewman
I think RR means the average class of that race
Agree.

Anatole France

Old 06-25-2014, 12:01 AM   #15
dkithore

Thanks Capper Al.
dkithore is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: