Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #16
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
I believe his proper name is "4 Time Major League All Star" Paul Lo Duca.
I just call him "The Juicer" not a big fan...........at all

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ticle-1.271946

His response

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/...=was&fext=.jsp

Last edited by JustRalph; 05-09-2014 at 11:08 PM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2014, 11:09 PM   #17
GMB@BP

You would juice too if everyone else was and it got you a 20 million dollar contract.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 12:07 AM   #18
SandyW

My favorites are Gino & Nick Hines, both are colorful and enjoyable to listen to.
Gino is so enthusiastic, reminds me of my youth and how my friends and I could not wait to go to the races on the weekends.

Nick Hines a good guy with plenty of knowledge.
SandyW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #19
SharpCat

I don't play the quarters but handicapping wise I think Les Onaka is the best of the bunch.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #20
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

The Quarters crew is good. I'd take Todd Schrupp over Gino anyday!
Old 05-10-2014, 05:29 AM   #21
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
I believe his proper name is "4 Time Major League All Star" Paul Lo Duca.
Lol no doubt. I don't think he's ever been introducted as anything but.

The ironic thing about introducing him as a 4 time all star is that in horse handicapping, you're only as good as you're next winner and what you did in the past, even yesterday, means nothing. We all start the day out as equals, we all start every day out with a 0- 000 slate and as the day wears on, we earn our stripes.

Of course, Loduca has earned his stripes long ago in a different sport....so, in THIS sport, he needs to be "celebrated" for having success in another field?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #22
rrpic6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

His response

I always get Dutrow and LoDuca mixed up. What position did Big Brown play again?

RR
rrpic6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2014, 11:00 AM   #23
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
I agree some are entertainers and some are handicappers which brings me to my next point ....

Juaquin Jaime ( spelling ??? ) anyways I am sure he is a nice guy off camera but watching him is like watching paint dry. He Definently does not fall in the entertainer category. And his handicapping is so bad that it defies mathematical probability. The guy usually always picks chalk which would make you think he would get at least some winners from time to time but despite chalking out all the time he still manages to somehow rarely even hit the board with his picks much less actually win a race. He Definently is not a handicapper .

So if he's not a entertainer and he's not a handicapper than how does he still have a job ???? I would much rather them give rich Perloff a few extra shifts or maybe give that new girl Brittany eurton a few shifts.
I don't know what it is about that guy, but he's one of the one's that I just can't do. I think I catch him on solo duty more often than not and it's that Radio Announcer 101 inflection draped over a Rich Perloff motif/impression, but the Perloff character just doesn't work for him sort of problem.

"Okay Jim, okay Jim, Jim from... Tallahassee... I get it.

I, I, I, I,... I can see your perspective here. Doesn't mean I agree... doesn't mean I agree... Jim... from Tallahassee...

But hey... but hey... Jim... I get it. I, uh, I do get it. I do. Jim. From. Tallahassee. Thanks.

Cal from Baltimore writes to ask how many consecutive days I can possibly do the same schtick..."

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2014, 07:08 PM   #24
Stillriledup
Veteran

Mike Joyce, eating food. Just what i want to see instead of horse races.

Wonderful.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-06-2014, 07:58 PM   #25
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

I think I "mentally" cut Race Announcers some slack. This is because I don't have the skill set to hold facts and figures in my head like they seem to do at THAT level of detail. I am not able to talk ad nauseam for hours about each horse race being telecast and each horse in each race. I'm OK with the generalities, but I can't quote you how ABC horse owned by XYZ and trained by 123 broke his Maiden on such and such a date ridden by whomever the Jockey was. I just can't commit that kind of trivia to long term memory. Perhaps if I did it for a living? I don't know.

I only get TVG for a few hours a day via NBCSN, and from what I've seen, I'm OK with the announcers in general, although it seems to me that TVG announcers are indeed trying to coax you into placing a bet. Sort of like watching an infomercial. Whereas HRTV, seems to purely cover the races. I also like HRTV's Commentators. From Millie Ball to Brad Free, I like them all.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:42 PM   #26
duncan04
Let's go Reds!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly

I only get TVG for a few hours a day via NBCSN, and from what I've seen, I'm OK with the announcers in general, although it seems to me that TVG announcers are indeed trying to coax you into placing a bet. Sort of like watching an infomercial. Whereas HRTV, seems to purely cover the races. I also like HRTV's Commentators. From Millie Ball to Brad Free, I like them all.
Of course TVG is trying to coax you into betting. They have an ADW they want you to bet through.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM   #27
thespaah

I cannot stomach Schrupp's man crush on Del Mar.
I don't care for the goofing off and contrived banter between the on camera people.
As a far as likes are concerned, Perloff is my preference.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2014, 10:47 AM   #28
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph

His response

Here's the rub..Just about every major league ballplayer was juicing.
Lenny Dykstra came to the Mets in 86 weighing in at 165 lbs. When he led the NL in total base hits ( 194 in 1993) to go along with his 19 hr's Dukstra was tipping the scales at around 200lbs
And of course there was the worst egg on the face of Major League baseball for the most obvious use of illegal substance. Barry Bonds.....From age 35 thru 39, Binds led the NL in Hr's and RBI's.Including the highly improbable 73 hr's in 2001...When he was in his late 20's and early 30's he was a rather wiry guy who weighed around 190 lbs.
When he was hitting the ball into orbit at a time in his life when normal athletes are losing their physical prowess, Bonds was weighing in around 230 lbs.
Juicing? Nah.....Can't be...
Old 07-07-2014, 10:49 AM   #29
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
Of course TVG is trying to coax you into betting. They have an ADW they want you to bet through.
One thing I find wrong with TVG is every show host pitches horizontal bets FIRST
Old 07-07-2014, 03:20 PM   #30
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncan04
I realize that. TVG is my primary ADW. Churchill owns a piece of HRTV and you don't see HRTV constantly pushing people to TwinSpires.

I was just making an observation regarding TVG VS HRTV. I don't think it would hurt TVG to back off on the sales pitch to bet once in a while. When I do get TVG every now and then on NBCSN, I enjoy the change of pace from HRTV and really enjoy the HDTV. But the "Infomercial" aspect of it at times is a bit bizarre.