Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-16-2014, 04:33 PM   #1
holmmd

Calvin on ROC

Discuss...ROC is not tier 1 for me (yet) but a definite tier 2. King Calvin helps but not sold that ROC has that late extra gear that I think some others have. Horse tries hard and is improving so I can easily see him grinding his way to a piece though.
holmmd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
bgbootha

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmmd
Discuss...ROC is not tier 1 for me (yet) but a definite tier 2. King Calvin helps but not sold that ROC has that late extra gear that I think some others have. Horse tries hard and is improving so I can easily see him grinding his way to a piece though.
YEah he is going to be tough to keep off the backend of some of my tickets, but I don't see him in the winners circle. Even with Calvin aboard.

This is a horse that has found the money in 8 of his 9 starts. His only miss was a close finish behind Tapiture in the G3 Iroquis in which he was destroyed by an amazing quick feeling pace, in fact in that race he of the three horses out on front he finished ahead of the other two.

I also like the fact that Calvin is getting the mount, but it isn't a Calvin for the sake of Calvin type of move. Borel has ridden ROC 5 times in the past, including a HORRIBLE trip being pushed 7 wide in the Southwest. The fact that he was even up for 3rd in that race says something about this horse.

THis is really the first time I have looked really really closely at ROC while writing this response, and reading his trip notes, reads like a chapter by chapter troubled trip encyclopedia.

Bumped Start
7 wide / 3 wide
4 wide
6-7 wide
4 wide
Off Slow
Broke Slow

Hmmm, if Calvin can get him a trip??? I may have to rethink my first couple of sentences.
bgbootha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
letswastemoney

An elite horse overcomes adversity to win, and Ride On Curlin seems to have trouble winning.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #4
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbootha
YEah he is going to be tough to keep off the backend of some of my tickets, but I don't see him in the winners circle. Even with Calvin aboard.

This is a horse that has found the money in 8 of his 9 starts. His only miss was a close finish behind Tapiture in the G3 Iroquis in which he was destroyed by an amazing quick feeling pace, in fact in that race he of the three horses out on front he finished ahead of the other two.

I also like the fact that Calvin is getting the mount, but it isn't a Calvin for the sake of Calvin type of move. Borel has ridden ROC 5 times in the past, including a HORRIBLE trip being pushed 7 wide in the Southwest. The fact that he was even up for 3rd in that race says something about this horse.

THis is really the first time I have looked really really closely at ROC while writing this response, and reading his trip notes, reads like a chapter by chapter troubled trip encyclopedia.

Bumped Start
7 wide / 3 wide
4 wide
6-7 wide
4 wide
Off Slow
Broke Slow

Hmmm, if Calvin can get him a trip??? I may have to rethink my first couple of sentences.
if calvin can get the trip that thus far calvin has not been able to get? Its not like its a different pilot here
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-16-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
Valuist

I think we should not allow acronyms in headlines. Of the top of my head, I don't remember who ROC is.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 09:58 AM   #6
precocity
Veteran

ride on curling? could hit the board!
precocity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
tanner12oz

im not sure if this horse is going to be as much value as some believe...I have seen MULTIPLE threads on different forums talking about this horse
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
precocity
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
im not sure if this horse is going to be as much value as some believe...I have seen MULTIPLE threads on different forums talking about this horse
think he will be 14 to 20 range?
precocity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #9
bgbootha

So much can affect thsi in the next couple of weeks. Post draw being a huge one. But yeah I can see ROC falling somewhere in the 15-20 range. Which I would be very happy with. But I could also see him drawing a good post, or working out well, teh media will start talking about Calvin Bo'Rail' and he could get beet down to 8-1.

Thats the beauty of doing your homework beforehand and finding your own fair odds lines that you are looking for come post time.
bgbootha is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #10
SecretAgentMan

If Borel wins another derby, I will scream......although I had him on Street Sense & Super Saver, its time for other jockeys to shine & I don't think ROC has a shot to win. He's a B rated horse IMO.
SecretAgentMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
holmmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbootha
So much can affect thsi in the next couple of weeks. Post draw being a huge one. But yeah I can see ROC falling somewhere in the 15-20 range. Which I would be very happy with. But I could also see him drawing a good post, or working out well, teh media will start talking about Calvin Bo'Rail' and he could get beet down to 8-1.

Thats the beauty of doing your homework beforehand and finding your own fair odds lines that you are looking for come post time.
Wow. No way I could take this horse at 8-1. Not even sure I could take him at 15-1 or less. Was thinking he would be in the 20-25 range (and that's because of Borel). Sounds like he may becoming the "square" wise-guy pick. Right now, he is still a tier 2 (i.e. exotics play) for me.
holmmd is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan
If Borel wins another derby, I will scream......although I had him on Street Sense & Super Saver, its time for other jockeys to shine & I don't think ROC has a shot to win. He's a B rated horse IMO.
Then MTBird was a Z rated horse........and Calvin gave him the ride of a lifetime.

The horse was ready to run his best race, not sure ROC would be in the same condition. I think he may have shown all he has.

don't forget that MTB ran pretty damn good in the Preakness and Belmont. All about the timing...........
Old 04-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #13
SecretAgentMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Then MTBird was a Z rated horse........and Calvin gave him the ride of a lifetime.

The horse was ready to run his best race, not sure ROC would be in the same condition. I think he may have shown all he has.

don't forget that MTB ran pretty damn good in the Preakness and Belmont. All about the timing...........

I agree 100%......I kept looking at MTB but what got me off him was that BC Juvenile race when he came in 12th place out of 12 runners. He ran great upnin Woodbine.......he ran decent races at Sunland but I just didn't fall in love with him. I played Pioneer Of Nile & like a dummy, I didn't play an exacta box with MTB, grr......
Old 04-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #14
SecretAgentMan

Thing is, with the new point system, its a matter of time where ugly looking horses win a major prep & then win the KD.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgentMan
Thing is, with the new point system, its a matter of time where ugly looking horses win a major prep & then win the KD.
Wow. Silly statement. Ugly looking horses? What do you term as ugly?

I guess you never heard of this guy. He was pretty much nondescript, but he could run like a bat out of hell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Henry_%28horse%29

So much for looks. They can get us in the door, they don't always keep us in the room.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: