Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:48 PM   #16
Grits

Regarding Churchill--if you've not done this before.

The museum is closed on Oaks and Derby Day, if you arrive in Louisville early in the week--if you do nothing--but this one thing aside from attending the Derby you will have had an incredible visit.

Go, earlier in the week, to the museum. Try and make a reservation if necessary. There, as part of the museum experience--is a theatre in the round. High above you, looking upward to the second level, turning full circle, in Dolby surround sound--you will watch the film that tells the story of the "Run For The Roses", the story of colts coming into this world (sometimes a filly, too) and their journey to the Kentucky Derby. It is narrated by the rich baritone voice of trainer, D.Wayne Lukas. It starts, softly. Quietly, in the barn's shedrows before sunrise and builds to the moment the gate opens with the thunderous rush of hooves.

I've seen it several times, and it never fails to give me chills. It will take your breath. And remind you of why you love thoroughbred racing and why it was important to you to embark on this travel to all three Triple Crown races. Have fun with your family!!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2014, 08:37 PM   #17
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

What a treat, and what a great thread. Thanks, Gar.

Well, you are not alone in wanting to attend all three jewels of the Crown. I would not say it's a "Bucket List" item for me, but I have wanted to attend since I got into Thoroughbred Racing in the Mid 80's. Like you, I grew up on some land a bit out in the country and my Father (RIP) had a passion for Quarter Horses, so I grew up around them. I never got into QH Racing (too fast and over too quick), but developed a love for Thoroughbreds when I was a young adult.

I've been to Churchill for the Derby three times. All three times were spectacular. You are in for a treat, especially if the weather is bright and sunny and you can enjoy the festivities. Have a Mint Julep and take in some people watching. Even if it rains, it's still a wonderful place to be for the most exciting two minutes in sports. I have also been to the Preakness and Belmont (not in the same years), but there is something magical to me about the Derby.

I'll be spending Derby Day at Beulah Park in Columbus for the final "Derby Day Party" before the park closes permanently that evening ending over 90 years in Thoroughbred Racing History at Beulah. Sigh. It will be a very sad day for me.

I'll be reading this thread with anticipation. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy yourself. I know you will.

-Billy
Old 04-22-2014, 11:19 AM   #18
TheGarMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Regarding Churchill-- ---

Go, earlier in the week, to the museum. Try and make a reservation if necessary. There, as part of the museum experience--is a theatre in the round. High above you, looking upward to the second level, turning full circle, in Dolby surround sound--you will watch the film that tells the story of the "Run For The Roses", the story of colts coming into this world (sometimes a filly, too) and their journey to the Kentucky Derby. It is narrated by the rich baritone voice of trainer, D.Wayne Lukas. It starts, softly. Quietly, in the barn's shedrows before sunrise and builds to the moment the gate opens with the thunderous rush of hooves.

I've seen it several times, and it never fails to give me chills. It will take your breath. And remind you of why you love thoroughbred racing and why it was important to you to embark on this travel to all three Triple Crown races. Have fun with your family!!
On this recommendation, I just called the museum, and made a reservation for the "backside tour" and museum visit for the four of us for 8:00 Wednesday morning.

Grits, a million thanks!

Gar
TheGarMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 11:37 AM   #19
precocity
Veteran

man that's awesome have a great time gar, wish I could do that one year?
precocity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 12:09 PM   #20
tanner12oz

mammoth cave national park isn't that far south of Louisville if you want a little nature to go along with your horses and whisky
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #21
tanner12oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan
Preakness :

So for us, attending the Preakness has become a pretty common practice . This will be our fourth year in a row. It is a nice easy 3 hour drive from our home in Pennsylvania. Further our son lives just north of the Baltimore city limits, near Cockysville, Maryland. We generally use his place as our "meeting place" before and after the races. From a gamblers perspective, I always do very well on Preakness day. Last year we hit "Oxbow" pretty hard, and also had "Sky Ring" in the previous race at a big number.

For the last three years, we have a group of 8-10 tickets inside behind the glass in "Grandstand Upper Reserved" . It is air conditioned and if it rains, you have no worries. These tickets also allow you to travel into the Preakness famous "infield fest" which is plenty of fun, and nowhere near as wild as it was 10 years ago. In recent years we have seen some great concerts on Preakness weekend from Florida Georgia Line, The Goo Goo Dolls , Rodney Atkins and many others. There are plenty of food and drink vendors at the "Fest". The infield is generally PACKED with college aged kids, and can be overwhelming at times, but no worries, as you are only a 15 min walk back to your own seat, and air conditioning

As most of you may know, Pimlico is honestly in a pretty dumpy community, but it has its own charm. I have never been mugged or felt unsafe near the racetrack.

Once you have Preakness tickets, they will continue to mail / email you a yearly confirmation in December for a "renewal" -- You have until late January to confirm your seats and send payment. My ticket contact is "Ashley" and they seem to be well organized and friendly. This year our tickets were right about $110 each. A parking pass for Saturday was $50.

We will be staying at the Ramada Limited in Cockysville the day before and after the races. (A middle of the road hotel, priced at $60.00 a night on Expedia) Not fancy, but functional.

One of the truly nice things about Preakness is Fridays "Black Eyed Susan Day". I think general admission for the Friday races is less then 10 bucks. The weather is normally great, and its is a nice day to the track, without all the fuss of Preakness Day -- I would strongly urge you to consider B.E.S. day in your plans.

Once we made our plans for the Derby, and our normal renewal for Preakness, someone in the group pointed out the obvious: If you are going to Kentucky, and you are going to Maryland, "We might as well try the Belmont" -- -

I'll pick it up here next time.
im a Pittsburgher who has made the trek since afleet alex to hook up with my uncle who lives in Westminster, md and has been going since the early 80's...I have taken over our seating year to year and we are front row apron box midway between the starting gate and finish...Preakness has changed a lot since I started going but its still a lot of fun...completely different vibe and scene from the derby, keeneland, toga or anything else...not stuffy in the least...almost feels like "the peoples race" or something...

as much of a dump that pimlico is they do a great job with ticketing, the renewal process and the like...like clockwork my renewal forms show up, like clockwork the high gloss fancy tickets arrive in the mail. year to year the price seems to get higher and higher ($136 now) but I'm going till they bury my ass.
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #22
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGarMan
On this recommendation, I just called the museum, and made a reservation for the "backside tour" and museum visit for the four of us for 8:00 Wednesday morning.

Grits, a million thanks!

Gar
Gar, I'm happy for you all--the reservation assures your getting in! You and your family will have an incredible time in Louisville!!

You'll enjoy the Preakness and the Belmont just as much as the Derby!

I love the quiet afternoons of Belmont Week on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday each year before the big crowd on Saturday.

Talk to your wife, make sure she wears flats--her most comfortable shoes-- for all three. Forget the stilettos. What a hassle; I shucked them long ago.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #23
Greyfox

Good luck TheGarMan in your forthcoming undertaking.
It sounds like an interesting trip.

Many years ago Hunter Thompson, a somewhat off the wall writer, took in The Kentucky Derby.
You might be interested in his 1970 report of that experience that is posted in the link below.
It's entitled
The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved

Hunter S. Thompson

http://sensitiveskinmagazine.com/hun...-and-depraved/
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #24
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox

Many years ago Hunter Thompson, a somewhat off the wall writer, took in The Kentucky Derby.
You might be interested in his 1970 report of that experience that is posted in the link below.
It's entitled

Hunter S. Thompson

Thanks GF, I'd not read that before. Interesting. I did not know whether to laugh or cry upon reading.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #25
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly
Thanks GF, I'd not read that before. Interesting. I did not know whether to laugh or cry upon reading.
Thank you.

Hunter Thompson was a weird guy. He ultimately committed suicide at age 67.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #26
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Thank you.

Hunter Thompson was a weird guy. He ultimately committed suicide at age 67.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson
I'm fairly well read and have a decent home library (not counting Kindle). Yet, even though I know of Thompson's work, I never read any of it - that I am aware of.

I may read "Hell's Angels" just to get a flavor for his work. It's been on my hit list for a while.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #27
glengarry

Quote:

It's entitled

Hunter S. Thompson

I read that article years ago. It was part of a collection of short stories from various authors, including a few by Hunter S. The Derby story was by far the most interesting for me. No surprise there.
glengarry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 11:20 PM   #28
Cratos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanner12oz
im a Pittsburgher who has made the trek since afleet alex to hook up with my uncle who lives in Westminster, md and has been going since the early 80's...I have taken over our seating year to year and we are front row apron box midway between the starting gate and finish...Preakness has changed a lot since I started going but its still a lot of fun...completely different vibe and scene from the derby, keeneland, toga or anything else...not stuffy in the least...almost feels like "the peoples race" or something...

as much of a dump that pimlico is they do a great job with ticketing, the renewal process and the like...like clockwork my renewal forms show up, like clockwork the high gloss fancy tickets arrive in the mail. year to year the price seems to get higher and higher ($136 now) but I'm going till they bury my ass.

You are absolutely correct about Pimlico being a "dump" and I gave up on Pimlico in 1996 and vowed never to return until they completely renovate the facility which I suspect will never happen.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-22-2014, 11:23 PM   #29
glengarry

Garman, you are indeed the man. I have one question. On the presale, did you have the opportunity to choose from a list of seats at all price ranges? Did you have to set your price range early on, and were locked into choosing seats in that range? Or was it more of a crapshoot, where you get what you are assigned, sort of like a "best ticket available? From what I read, there is an enormous difference in price of seats, based on accessibility to food and drinks, whether covered or not, whether bleachers or seat backs. I guess what I'm asking is whether the presale allows you to pick the seats or sections you like, with everything Churchill has available for the choosing, assuming money is not a concern.
glengarry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #30
Tall One
Scum Bum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettinBilly
I'm fairly well read and have a decent home library (not counting Kindle). Yet, even though I know of Thompson's work, I never read any of it - that I am aware of.

I may read "Hell's Angels" just to get a flavor for his work. It's been on my hit list for a while.

Hell's Angels isn't the "Gonzo" style writing Thompson is known for, but it's a solid read. Day in the life of an 81 could've been the title.

If you want Thomspon at his best, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas would be the ticket. The drugs he did would've put down the normal man...
Tall One is offline   Reply With Quote Reply