Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #16
Big Russ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBred17Roan
Congrats Russ. Always nice to see a member here get the top prize. A fellow capper of mine, RYonker was with you in the final four until near the end so I was following along despite being knocked out early. Once again, nicely played.
Thanks. It did get exciting once it was down to 4 remaining alive. RYonker played very well!
Big Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #17
Big Russ

Thanks everyone for the congrats. I had a lot of fun and learned a few things.

1. After the first couple of weeks, I played on Tampa Bay instead of my usual 4 or 5 tracks at a time. It was nice to be able to do and helped with recognizing trainer patterns in more detail.

2. I used both BRIS PP's and DRF. Beyer numbers seemed a bit better than BRIS on dirt, while I found the opposite on Turf. In neither case were speed figures my biggest asset.

3. By being able to concentrate on 1 track, I found that my decades of handicapping experience was more helpful than I thought it would be. From reading many books, and the countless hours looking at PP's, I somehow manage to use all of that knowledge to form a decent opinion every now and then.

4. I would find it almost impossible to explain to a newbie how to go about becoming a decent handicapper without frightening them.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words. That's enough horn blowing for me.
Big Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply