Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:44 AM   #61
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Do people really believe other big barns don't operate in a similar manner? Do you believe other big barns do not try and keep a decent horse with bad wheels together on a wing and a prayer? They do not tap joints? They feel no pressure to run a horse who isn't close to 100%?

Come on folks. Don't be naive.

And why are we blasting Blasi for his language? You are looking at human beings here, working for a BIG operation with tons of horseflesh and under tons of pressure. They don't have time to fall in love with their horses, nor should they. It's a business. These horses ARE commodities, like it or not. They aren't pets. They are athletes.

And just like their human counterparts, they play injured. They just have no say in the matter as to whether they play or not. That's the only difference.

It's a cruel world out there people...horse racing is no different. Never was, never will be.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:44 AM   #62
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Complaining on an internet horse racing forum is one thing...and bringing about "major change" within the game is quite another. The game is quite resilient...and has weathered similar storms in the past. And the horseplayer has also proven that he can, at times, get quite forgetful of matters such as these.

The days go on...and so does the game. And there is always another controversy yet to come...to replace the one that had come before.

We SAY that we are disgusted and enraged when things like these are exposed...but we don't show our anger and disgust where it counts; at the betting windows. We expect the GAME to clean up after itself...even though we know full-well that plenty of the power lies in our own hands.

It is OUR money that keeps these bastards in the lap of luxury...and we should play a bigger role in these matters than we currently play.

Otherwise...what right have we to complain?
You bet 10 times the money I do.You are definitely the guy that needs to be on the battle front.Let me know what I need to do to get your back Gus.
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #63
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I get what you're saying, but i think there is not as much "connect" between horse bettors and the inside of the game as people think or want to believe. Bettors only care about the next Plus Ev wager they find.

I think some bettors and fans feel that other bettors and fans ought to actually care about the health of the horses, jockeys and the overall state of the game, but when you come right down to it, can we ask a horse bettor to NOT make a wager on a Plus Ev situation as a "protest" for what goes on behind the scenes?

Most serious bettors have databases of notes, notes in their heads, information that they can use to make a profit at the windows....i think that those people don't feel that its their responsibility to make the game clean and they don't think its unfair to ask the track owners, trainers, jockeys and horse owners to do the work to keep THEIR game clean.

If Track owners, trainers, jocks and major owners arent going to take the lead in cleaning up their sport, why does the onus fall on the customers?
Forgive me for being so uncharacteristically blunt, SRU...but I think it is BULLSHIT that "most serious bettors have databases of notes, notes in their heads, and information that they can use to make a profit at the windows...". The truth is that almost ALL of the serious bettors are STRUGGLING at the windows...and the only thing that keeps them going is the hope that they will eventually "figure this game out". Sadly...the "profit at the windows" is only for the tiny minority...and if these atrocities are allowed to go on for much longer...then there won't be any profit left for anybody.

If the horseplayer's GREED is what's keeping him from speaking up in cases such as this...then he is as short-sighted as these despicable trainers that we all like to bash.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-20-2014 at 02:51 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 02:49 AM   #64
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Do people really believe other big barns don't operate in a similar manner? Do you believe other big barns do not try and keep a decent horse with bad wheels together on a wing and a prayer? They do not tap joints? They feel no pressure to run a horse who isn't close to 100%?

And why are we blasting Blasi for his language? You are looking at human beings here, working for a BIG operation with tons of horseflesh and under tons of pressure. They don't have time to fall in love with their horses, nor should they. It's a business. These horses ARE commodities, like it or not. They aren't pets. They are athletes.

And just like their human counterparts, they play injured. They just have no say in the matter as to whether they play or not. That's the only difference.

It's a cruel world out there people...horse racing is no different. Never was, never will be.
No...that's not the only difference.

Along with the neglected and abused horse...there is also that little matter about the guy on its back.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:51 AM   #65
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:

I agree.But we also could do without the 30-40% trainers.There is something going wrong there for no names to pop up and be win chuggers.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:52 AM   #66
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
No...that's not the only difference.

Along with the neglected and abused horse...there is also that little matter about the guy on its back.
The guy on his back at least can jump off and refuse to ride.

The guy on its back pretty much knows EXACTLY what he is getting into...he knows the risk...he or his agent knows the trainer and/or probably knows the horse and whatever problems it might have.

Of course there will be times where the above does not apply. But I give jocks and their agents more credit than that, most of the time, as far as knowing just what it is they are riding.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 03-20-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:56 AM   #67
thaskalos

Quote:
The guy on his back at least can jump off and refuse to ride.

The guy on its back pretty much knows EXACTLY what he is getting into...he knows the risk...he or his agent knows the trainer and/or probably knows the horse and whatever problems it might have.
How do YOU know that the jockey always knows the risk?

What would it take to put YOU on a horse that you know is held together by steroids and illegal pain killers?

Are you telling me that a multi-millionaire jockey willingly gets on a horse whose ailing limbs have been numbed by frog juice or cobra venom?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:57 AM   #68
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
How do YOU know that the jockey always knows the risk?

What would it take to put YOU on a horse that you know is held together by steroids and illegal pain killers?

Are you telling me that a multi-millionaire jockey willingly gets on a horse whose ailing limbs have been numbed by frog juice of cobra venom?
I amended my reply (before you posted this) because I know people enjoy 100% literal interpretations of my posts...

Of course it is NOT ALWAYS.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:02 AM   #69
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
I amended my reply (before you posted this) because I know people enjoy 100% literal interpretations of my posts...

I only wish you wrote in William Blake style via "Songs of Experience"!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:03 AM   #70
thaskalos

Quote:

Well then...if "it's not always"...then isn't this a CRIME?

How does this bear any similarity to your previous reference of the human athlete who plays hurt?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:11 AM   #71
Dark Horse

World of difference between objective reporting and manipulative journalism. Frankly, after reading the reactions I was prepared for something far worse, so I didn't find that video very surprising or shocking (except the disgusting Nehro section). It was a piece intended to set a certain tone. If I show you the ten worst minutes of your past year I can probably make you look like a monster as well. Few fits of anger, few drunken spells, some flat out lies and there goes your reputation. For a more objective view mentally edit that video. Take away the offensive language, take away the legal Lasix, and pretty much all that's left is Nehro. Plus the electric buzzers. Lukas and Stevens joking about buzzers was shocking to me. That's like sticking a knife in the backs of the players who make this game possible.

Last edited by Dark Horse; 03-20-2014 at 03:17 AM.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 03:14 AM   #72
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
World of difference between objective reporting and manipulative journalism. Frankly, after reading the reactions I was prepared for something far worse, so I didn't find that video very surprising or shocking (except the disgusting Nehro section). It was a piece intended to set a certain tone. If I show you the ten worst minutes of your past year I can probably make you look like a monster as well. Few fits of anger, few drunken spells, some flat out lies and there goes your reputation. That doesn't mean that horse racing doesn't need cleaning up.
For a more objective view mentally edit that video. Take away the offensive language, take away the legal Lasix, and pretty much all that's left is Nehro.
Sure. And if you do a little further "editing" and you take away the drugs and the onerous takeout...you got a great game.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:17 AM   #73
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Well then...if "it's not always"...then isn't this a CRIME?

How does this bear any similarity to your previous reference of the human athlete who plays hurt?
I think Mineshaft correctly stated earlier that the only "crime" in all of this is the alleged buzzer use.

Lasix is legal. Tapping joints is legal. Running a horse who isn't 100% is legal.

What did I leave out from the video?
Old 03-20-2014, 03:19 AM   #74
Dark Horse

Quote:
Sure. And if you do a little further "editing" and you take away the drugs and the onerous takeout...you got a great game.
Actually, I forgot the buzzers and edited it.

Be careful when someone tries to form your opinion for you.
Dark Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 03:25 AM   #75
CincyHorseplayer

Quote:
HAHAH!!Good one Thask.

I think bottomline this shit needs to be hammered anyway so let it be.Nothing to argue about.Let this BS fester itself into nothingness or everythingness.Betting on the former.