Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #31
olddaddy

My next thought is with national tv coverage of the derby preps will they have the stones to bring this up? Will they try to interview asmussen, lukas, stevens? I sure hope so.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #32
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddaddy
My next thought is with national tv coverage of the derby preps will they have the stones to bring this up? Will they try to interview asmussen, lukas, stevens? I sure hope so.
Why do you think they waited to file the complaints? The highest profile time of the year is the next six weeks or so. They aren't stupid. My stomach turns......
For multiple reasons
Old 03-20-2014, 01:03 AM   #33
olddaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Why do you think they waited to file the complaints? The highest profile time of the year is the next six weeks or so. They aren't stupid. My stomach turns......
For multiple reasons

I know why they waited but will the national tv media take it from here is my question.
olddaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 01:15 AM   #34
Edward DeVere

Hideous all the way around.

And that great sucking sound you hear is the acceleration of slots money withdrawal.
Edward DeVere is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 01:19 AM   #35
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leparoux
The quotes by Blasi are hard to spin out of...
I wonder if he'll be out of a job soon .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #36
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski

Owners stick by their "high percentage barns" thru thick and thin......what are the owners going to do, fire a trainer who makes em run fast and give them to a trainer who makes em run slow or slower?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 01:22 AM   #37
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward DeVere
Hideous all the way around.

And that great sucking sound you hear is the acceleration of slots money withdrawal.
Good point. How many owners pull their horses in time to beat the coverage?

Last edited by JustRalph; 03-20-2014 at 01:24 AM.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 01:24 AM   #38
Stillriledup
Veteran

As far as Asmussen "forcing" horses who were injured to race, isnt that on the state vet to decide whether they're fit to enter the starting gate?
Old 03-20-2014, 01:27 AM   #39
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
If you going to nail Blasi on the buzzer charge why not nail Stevens and Lukas also? The tape clearly shows them talking about using machines.

The illegal workers working for them they going to get nailed on that. The buzzers they might get nailed on that too. Everything else they will be cleared.
Lukas mentioned Ruidoso Downs . That may have been a very long time
ago . Quarter horse days ?
If they get nailed on the illegal workers , they will need a quick job fair to recruit backstretch workers . Many barns will have to clear out .
Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #40
Tara73
Veteran

All I could think of when watching this video is how TLG would sing the virtues of Blasi with his NY string of horses. TLG in his attempt to give credit to the assistant trainer seemed like the right thing to do since Blasi was running the show in New York.
Tara73 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 01:29 AM   #41
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup

Owners stick by their "high percentage barns" thru thick and thin......what are the owners going to do, fire a trainer who makes em run fast and give them to a trainer who makes em run slow or slower?
Blasi I mean . I can see him an Asmussen part ways .
Old 03-20-2014, 01:32 AM   #42
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Blasi I mean . I can see him an Asmussen part ways .
Yes, i guess if you're the "lowly" assistant, you can be the "Fall guy".
Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 AM   #43
Edward DeVere

Quote:
Well, I think it's safe to say Blasi, at minimum, won't be working with any of Zayat's horses anymore. . . . People normally aren't too find of being called a c**t. (On top, of course, of all the details about Nehro.)
Edward DeVere is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 01:40 AM   #44
Grits

It may not take the game down, but is it going to do an even greater amount of harm than it's image has already suffered for decades? I'd count on it. Matter of fact, I'd take it to the bank...that, yes, it will. The piece Joe Drape did two years ago? Its nothing compared to this undercover work--four months with video and documentation. It doesn't hold a candle to this.

I despise PETA, but, this time, these people ain't played. This isn't sophomoric and small time. They worked diligently, methodically--carrying out a well planned operation. They're going to take on this sport from top to bottom. From the the Jockey Club, that's run it for so many decades (into the ground, btw) all the way to the lowly paid illegal backside worker. It will have, as someone said, "a ripple affect". As far as trainers having illegal workers, they've already nailed Romans. This one's nothing new. This has been going on for years.

These trainers, for their treatment of these animals, are screwed. Nothing has ever been recorded, or alleged, on this damaging a scale. No one has ever gone in wearing a wire. Maybe, finally, it will clean up this sport. Its way, way past due as every one of us here have known for a long time. The men running this game have done nothing for it, but look out for their own interest. They will work together on ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that doesn't directly benefit themselves. State to state cooperation = 0. They don't care about the animal, the backside workers, or anyone else. God knows they care nothing about BETTORS.

Ray Paulick is a guy who doesn't usually flinch, but when he states, "this video is hard to watch", one figures, yes, its gonna be pretty bad.

To learn that a horse was running on, literally, no hoof, one so full of holes and in that kind of pain--is devastating to me. I sat here with tears rolling down my face. Until, I got mad as hell. The more I listened to Scott Blasi throughout both videos the madder I got.

We're hearing--first hand--straight out of a top trainer's assistant's mouth exactly how he views the horses in his care. If Blasi has no more feeling than this for the animals in his care, he should carry his sorry lowlife self back to wherever in the hell he came from. Texas or Oklahoma. He makes me sick!!

https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocac...Action&id=5345

On PETA's page, note the green box, as Paulick did. They're not asking the sport to be stopped, they're asking that it be cleaned up. I've never loved horses more, and I love this sport. But, gentlemen, you ain't seen nothing go down like you're getting ready to see. And its time. Either one continuing to load horses full of drugs, I hope he won't know where his next meal's coming from, or whether he's gonna be living in a run-in shed. I'm tired of this kind of treatment of horses.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-20-2014, 01:42 AM   #45
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I've ripped Asmussen many times on this board about how his horses end up. Still, I hope this is exaggerated a lot. This could be really bad. Flip Men, said it many times, terrible for the game.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply