Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 03-06-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
1ejp

Where to start with Computer programs?

What type of handicapping programs do you use?

I currently have always used DRF Classic PP's and have used e-ponies w/ uploaded Bris data files as a supplement.

I am interested in a computer program to formulate pace figures.

I have tried unsuccessfully to make my own data base using excel spread sheets but my programing knowledge is weak to say the least.

Or do most use pace figs made by Bris or others?
Old 03-06-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
HUSKER55

JMHO...

It is imoirtant to know what the figures mean and / or how they are calculated. Lots of people use excel. Programers do things differently. You probably should take an adult class and update your skills. There is a lady who does this at our church. The group meets twice a week for two hours and cost $10 per head.
Yeah,...we kiss off the morning because we visit alot but we do improve ourselves. Our class has any where 10 to 20 people. Check out your local tech school.

Even if you use someone elses figure you should still know how they are made. Otherwis you are betting on something you have no idea about.

That cuts into my comfort zone. If it does not cut into yours then pick one and go.

No Balls.......No baby!

Have you ever noticed that those who do not have a pot to piss in nor a window to throw it out of always seem to know how to handle the money of those who do.
HUSKER55 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
windoor

A Member here, that goes by "H-Cap" has done many custom Excel programs for me over the years, at a very reasonable cost.

Not sure if he is looking for more business, as he has been having some health problems, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

If your into researching numbers and patterns, or just for the ease of daily play, you might want to consider J/Capper. A database program that pretty much does it all.

Between the Excel programs I use, J/Capper, and a working database of the last 150K races in the US, there is not much I can't do. Whether it's testing new theories to see how well (or poorly) they have done historically, or for daily play.

Regards,

Windoor.
windoor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

As Windoor stated, "HCap" is an Excel guru. He and I collaborated on the "AllData Project", which produced several free Excel workbooks, they all use either Brisnet single file card data files and Exotic Results data files, or JCapper card and results data files. All the workbooks are fully automated for both file importing and race processing.

The PPs workbook is "AllData J1" (there are 3 versions of it, one for pre2007 versions of Excel, one for 2007 and subsequent versions of Excel, and a custom "Print Sheets" version), which offers a standard "DRF" style "Past Performances" area, as well as a Sartin style "Pace Ratings" section (fully adjusted fractional velocities) so you know what is in them, versus using "canned" source provided pace and speed figures. Both areas can be "summarized" to show only the selected paceline data for each horse in the race, on the "Summaries" sheet. This gives you a "big picture" of the entire field, the field is listed, each horse below the other, in post position order.

That workbook also has "batch processing" capabilities that allow you to import and process many cards and results files, and saves them for import into our racing database workbook, "AllDataBase", where you can query those races (segmenting the races for both testing and validation) with about 60 factors and thousands of combinations of those factors.

Best of all the workbooks are free and the only costs involved are for your data files, which can be used in other software programs in addition to our spreadsheets.

The "AllData J1" workbook is downloadable here, the downloads are at the bottom of the page: http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/allda...-download.html

The instructions for that workbook are located here: http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/allda...tructions.html

The "AllDataBase" download is located here, again, the download is at the bottom of the page: http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/alldatabase.html

And the instructions for that workbook are located here: http://alldataexcel.weebly.com/allda...-document.html

So, if you have a version of MS Excel (won't work with any other spreadsheet app), give them a shot, it'll only cost you some time and data file costs. The "J1" workbook can be customized if you know a bit about using Excel, by creating new "views" displaying only what you want to see, and of course you can combine or create your own data that nobody else has access to. You could, if you know how, create your own pace and speed figures in this workbook also.

Have fun!!

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 04:29 PM   #5
deathandgravity

I switched to Equisim about 10 years ago. I just didn't have the time or commitment to keep my own DB up and running. (MS SQL) Fair amount of SQL experience, but life/career was getting in my way and just couldn't play the horses on a regular schedule. Equisim had a nice price point & I found the Formula Tool inside it real helpful with pace & PCR ratings.

http://www.thorotech.com/

Not perfect, but does what I need as a casual player @ this time.
deathandgravity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-07-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ejp

I currently have always used DRF Classic PP's and have used e-ponies w/ uploaded Bris data files as a supplement.

I have tried unsuccessfully to make my own data base using excel spread sheets but my programing knowledge is weak to say the least.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/a...hp/t-1039.html

An easy start would be to compute TPR. Yes, it is simplistic and a lot of folks will pooh-pooh it (it's velocity based, it's old fashion, you can't pick winners with anything that simple (wrong BTW), etc.) it but it's a starting point and you can use the data from the classic PPs and it can be programmed in a spreadsheet, BASIC or whatever language you know.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
pondman

Quote:
Excel is a great tool for analyzing your betting patterns and historical play. It could help you discover a strategy that fits your style of play. After I analyzed my play with excel, I realize I way making serious money on bets at over 7-1. And I've tried to wean myself off the entertainment bets.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Flysofree
Veteran

Quote:

Does E-ponies now offer a pace figure? I don't recall seeing that last year in their formats.
Flysofree is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
DeltaLover

I can see the following main areas where a 'Computer program' can be used when
it comes to horse racing:

* Creation of speed and pace figures

There is very little room to improve the existing commercial approaches and I
would advice selecting a vendor and start using it instead of consuming
energy trying to reinvent the wheel..

* Realization of the actual impact of handicapping factors (like for example
female against males, layoffs or first time lasix).

If you have the patience to build your own data base and learn how to query
it you can certainly extract some interesting things out of it, but I think
you will find it disappointing to confirm that although some angles differ
significantly than others, the crowd is well aware of it converting the vast
majority of traditional angles to neutral betting propositions

* Creation of an automated horse selection agent for betting purposes.

You will need advanced math and programming skills trying to put
together a betting model, an activity that might keep you busy for many
years. I do not advice taking this route, since there is not convincing
evidence that you can beat the game for significant amount of money, using
a robot, especially as an individual not having access to a whole
team of experts.

* Pool charting and monitor trying to reveal betting patterns and
inefficiencies in the crowd's behavior.

Easy to develop, requiring basic web development skills, this type of
applications might add some value to your bottom line, although given the
huge volatility of today's pools I still believe that this value is marginal.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
traynor

Quote:

It is not so much making pace figures as it is understanding what the pace figures mean/represent. I highly recommend you try the sample run of RDSS, and take advantage of the excellent library of handicapping materials they offer at no charge. Their programs are decent, but their support and peripheral information are superb. I think it is the best place (and best way) to really learn pace handicapping (rather than just picking numbers off a screen with no idea how they were created or why).

I don't use RDSS, but that is not because of any deficiency in their programs. I write my own, for my own use, and I (very modestly) believe they are better than any commercially available software applications.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply