Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:16 AM   #16
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mineshaft
then hes a goofball too
Maybe they both prescribe to that tired old saw "you only live once?"
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 08:25 AM   #17
wisconsin

People need to get off the Lukas bashing train. Is a 2nd place maiden really any different than the horse who broke his maiden by a head and then goes into a graded prep? If you really cared, you would see 20 horses everyday of the week running in the wrong spots at racetracks everywhere. But then again, if it's not Lukas, look the other way.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #18
iceknight

Quote:
Answer my question...
Yes, if my trainer says so.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 11:51 AM   #19
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
Yes, if my trainer says so.

Wow................
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 11:56 AM   #20
Greyfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisconsin
People need to get off the Lukas bashing train..
His steed ran 41 lengths behind the winner in the previous 3 races and then nearly won the Risen Star.
Lukas knows how to wake them up when the time is right.
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 01:46 PM   #21
iceknight

Quote:
Wow................
Don't know what's there to "wow" about, but "if" I owned horses, I would properly defer to an experienced trainer (except for making sure he is not drugging them up), more than making my own inexperienced judgement calls, you asked a question, you got the answer. Don't be upset if you did not get the whole world to agree with you. This is the whole reason why people bet longshots, because they have differing opinions than the crowd. Horses that are maturing are all the more reason to be raced, than just ceding to the competition.
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #22
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
Don't know what's there to "wow" about, but "if" I owned horses, I would properly defer to an experienced trainer (except for making sure he is not drugging them up), more than making my own inexperienced judgement calls, you asked a question, you got the answer. Don't be upset if you did not get the whole world to agree with you. This is the whole reason why people bet longshots, because they have differing opinions than the crowd. Horses that are maturing are all the more reason to be raced, than just ceding to the competition.

You right I would defer to an experienced trainer also but if I had a Maiden and my trainer wanted to run in a stakes race with the maiden I would fire him on the spot. But that's just me. If he doesn't have my best interest and the best interest of my horse time to find another trainer and if I had to fire Lukas I would in a heart beat.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #23
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
runs a Maiden in the Risen Star and I think he just crossed the finish line

freakin goofball
Pick and choose...pick and choose...so easy to do...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 06:23 AM   #24
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

I put the in with some dime supers just because he was a Lukas longshot. He was with the pace for half; I didn't mind that he slowed down after that. I don't see why any one else would either, as it shouldn't have affected their wagering or race-watching experience negatively.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #25
burnsy
self medicated

To be fair it's Calumet they don't breed/ buy horses so Lukas can enter them in claiming races. Oxbow was a Calumet horse. This horse is bred like a good thing. Like Turingforhome said they will try all of them to find the "big horse". His odds last time don't matter he clearly out ran 22-1 to finish second. Plus, they did ship out of Oak lawn Park where it seems all the "heavies" are going to show up, the Risen Star is historically a softer group. They definitely "eyeballed" this group and thought is was the easiest stakes race at this point. I could not bet a horse like that but stranger things have happened. People get all wrapped up in the hype, with these 3 yo horses they can "jump up" 5 to 10 lengths in a matter of weeks.....Lukas knows this too and he pulled it off just last year. People forget the changes in this game....the best 3 yo in February (Orb last year) is rarely the best one in May, June and beyond. Just like the best 2 yo last year is usually no where by derby time. If anything these horses are being brought along slower these days. They took a shot........big deal?

Last edited by burnsy; 02-24-2014 at 08:12 AM.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 AM   #26
Mineshaft
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
To be fair it's Calumet they don't breed/ buy horses so Lukas can enter them in claiming races. Oxbow was a Calumet horse. This horse is bred like a good thing. Like Turingforhome said they will try all of them to find the "big horse". His odds last time don't matter he clearly out ran 22-1 to finish second. Plus, they did ship out of Oak lawn Park where it seems all the "heavies" are going to show up, the Risen Star is historically a softer group. They definitely "eyeballed" this group and thought is was the easiest stakes race at this point. I could not bet a horse like that but stranger things have happened. People get all wrapped up in the hype, with these 3 yo horses they can "jump up" 5 to 10 lengths in a matter of weeks.....Lukas knows this too and he pulled it off just last year. People forget the changes in this game....the best 3 yo in February (Orb last year) is rarely the best one in May, June and beyond. Just like the best 2 yo last year is usually no where by derby time. If anything these horses are being brought along slower these days. They took a shot........big deal?

I agree the Risen Star is typically not a strong race but the horse was a 7 race Maiden who ran one decent race. Does that constitute putting him in a stakes race at the FG? I guess it does. Not what I would do but I don't own or train the horse. Did Lukas have anything to say about the race, I haven't heard any comments anywhere?
Old 02-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #27
davew

gotta be in it to win it
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2014, 02:40 PM   #28
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
I agree the Risen Star is typically not a strong race but the horse was a 7 race Maiden who ran one decent race. Does that constitute putting him in a stakes race at the FG? I guess it does. Not what I would do but I don't own or train the horse. Did Lukas have anything to say about the race, I haven't heard any comments anywhere?
I get your point, I didn't bet that race but I would of tossed that horse too. If he got even 3rd or 4th, I'm sure they would of been ecstatic. Didn't hear anything after. I concentrated on GP this weekend and had seconditis.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #29
chadk66

lukas has always done these types of things.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #30
classhandicapper

I think running horses over their head is a really bad idea.

1. You are throwing away a race where the horse might have some earnings power of spotted properly

2. I've seen a lot of very promising horses never come back from a drubbing

Whether the horse is spotted properly is somewhat subjective. There's a difference between aggressive and crazy. But I don't think occasionally winning a big race with some longshot justifies the practice any more that occasionally cashing a bet on a longshot but still losing money on them over the long haul does. It's a long term thing.