Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #61
Ocala Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millpond68
9 at Saratoga looks like a repeat of the Orino DQ
Not even close, in my opinion. A textbook case for a dq in today's race.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #62
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
At first glance, it doesnt look like even the same, but i'll have to watch it again later tonight.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #63
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Seriously?
Watched the head on several times. The did slightly impede the .
The problem I have with this DQ is while the was gaining on the , just before the interference took place, the appeared to flatten and stopped gaining on the ...I do not think the would have headed the before the finish. IMO the DQ is incorrect.
Of course I am not the guy with the white shirt, tie, binoculars and the power to change the order of finish.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 11:31 PM   #64
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
Never seen anyone who continues to play this game who thinks any and everyone in it is so crooked.

Yeah, the starter is kicking horses. Good luck proving that one, buddy.

Yeah, the 3 horse came down. He needed to. Keep watching the head on maybe you'll get it.

Everyone is conspiring against you ... you're just another whiner.
In your opinion, where did the infraction take place that in your opinion necessitated a DQ....I see the 3 move in slightly. I did not believe the 2 would have gotten by the 3 before the wire.
How do you see it?
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #65
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
In your opinion, where did the infraction take place that in your opinion necessitated a DQ....I see the 3 move in slightly. I did not believe the 2 would have gotten by the 3 before the wire.
How do you see it?
Even the start was bad but horses rarely come down when they impede at the gate .
I think Rosario may get some days for this too . That's just from reading the chart . I'm going to look at the race again , but the DQ was deserved .

B. Calhoun was not happy with Rosario either .

“It’s very disappointing,” he said. “It looked like we were coming through and going to win. Race riding is race riding, but I think [Rosario] overdid it today. He endangered a lot of riders and horses, and I hope he gets a long vacation to think about it. He’s a great rider, but that was very uncalled for.”

Print

Last edited by nijinski; 08-11-2013 at 11:58 PM.
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 06:41 AM   #66
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantombridgejumpe
It is Race 4 on August 2nd at Finger Lakes.

Seemed like the Old Guard thought it shouldn't be a DQ and the newer
players thought it certainly would.

Just an interesting case where the fans (majority of who
didn't even bet the race) could not agree.
Well, at SRU downs there would have been NO long inquiry, and the original finish stands.

Excellent example of "50-50" sort of call, IMHO (unlike the Orino race). The was definitely gaining, the comes out under left hand urging, and contact is made. After, reviewing the low-res pan and head-on shots replay of the race, it comes down to several subjective outlooks:

a. The was going to go by the and win
b. The , once challenged, was going to fight back since it had a bettor trip and had more "left in the tank"
c. The , though impeded, had further opportunity to go by the , and failed to do so

A case can be made for either result, but I happen to agree with the stewards in leaving the deuce up. Contact, while it occurred, was not flagrant enough to know if it altered the outcome....for sure.

To add to the flawed, subjective system, we also have to consider the factor of "where the foul occurred" during the race. Obviously, the deep stretch incidents make up the majority of the inquiries. But had the made similar contact with the going into the first turn, is there even an inquiry? Especially if the goes wide, fades and finishes 6th? Like holding in the NFL on every play, there's contact between the horses in every race.

If the stewards DQ the , then bettors of the scream foul, and assume the officials had an interest in that result. Since the stewards leave the up, the bettors of the can complain that they got the short end of the stick. Either way, there will be some players that are unhappy.

Only at SRU Downs can everyone look at the result, shrug, and move on to the next race without malice in their hearts....
Old 08-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #67
Hoofless_Wonder
broken-down horseplayer

Quote:
It is similar in that it involves yet another attempt of a heavy favorite to come up the rail, requiring horses outside of it to maintain an absolutely straight path in the stage of the race in which they are most tired, and hence least likely to do so. The horse in between, while appearing to be the worst offender on the head-on replay, is of course also getting bumped from both sides.

A tough, though perhaps correct call for the stewards, and a bad break for Rosario fans. At least the show bettors on Fiftyshadesofgold got their money back to churn more dough in the last two race...

Another excellent example of where under "SRU Downs" rules, we get a consistent, less subjective result with well understood payouts. Then we allow for the stewards to follow up and give Rosario days for rough riding, if they can make the case for it....
Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #68
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofless_Wonder
It is similar in that it involves yet another attempt of a heavy favorite to come up the rail, requiring horses outside of it to maintain an absolutely straight path in the stage of the race in which they are most tired, and hence least likely to do so. The horse in between, while appearing to be the worst offender on the head-on replay, is of course also getting bumped from both sides.

A tough, though perhaps correct call for the stewards, and a bad break for Rosario fans. At least the show bettors on Fiftyshadesofgold got their money back to churn more dough in the last two race...

Another excellent example of where under "SRU Downs" rules, we get a consistent, less subjective result with well understood payouts. Then we allow for the stewards to follow up and give Rosario days for rough riding, if they can make the case for it....
Stewards gave Rosario 7 days which will equal 3 days if no appeal .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 AM   #69
Stillriledup
Veteran

Interesting there was no inquiry or DQ in theStga Special. The winner Corfu, came out and brushed Wired Bryan right near the wire starting a bit of a chain reaction back and forth bumping between the two. The result was a win by the smallest of margins for Corfu..if he doesnt brush or touch Wired Bryan, the result might have been different.

Now, i'm not calling for a DQ here becuase you know SRU leaves em up, but if you're going to take Orino down, why not this race? Corfu didnt travel in an exact straight line, that seems to be the standard the judges set with the Orino DQ yet this one was left alone.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #70
1st time lasix

The interference by Rosario in the Spa feature on Sunday cost me a winning pick six as i had Fiftyshadesofgold as my logical single in the sequence. I get a $350 consolation at least---- instead of the likely $3-6k return. Not my worst bad "beat" of the weekend however. Not even close. I had a monster pick five at Monmouth taken down by the stewards when the 4 horse on the turf was taken down in the fourth leg of the sequence. My chosen horse was trying to get through a hole at the top of the lane and he finished 3 or 4 lengths ahead of the others at a price. Much the best. The 5 horse he bumped was a tiring fifth....with zero chance of winning. It paid $44,000 on a fifty cent ticket. The horse that was moved up was about 13-1...the horse i had on my two tickets that was taken down was around 11-1. Not a material difference in a pick five. Here is the real kicker....i had TWO fifty cent tickets! I figure at best it cost me $21 k....it could possibly have cost me $ 88 k. Truth is .....I needed a stiff drink after that one and i have keopt the tickets as a reminder in the future it could always be worse.
1st time lasix is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #71
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st time lasix
The interference by Rosario in the Spa feature on Sunday cost me a winning pick six as i had Fiftyshadesofgold as my logical single in the sequence. I get a $350 consolation at least---- instead of the likely $3-6k return. Not my worst bad "beat" of the weekend however. Not even close. I had a monster pick five at Monmouth taken down by the stewards when the 4 horse on the turf was taken down in the fourth leg of the sequence. My chosen horse was trying to get through a hole at the top of the lane and he finished 3 or 4 lengths ahead of the others at a price. Much the best. The 5 horse he bumped was a tiring fifth....with zero chance of winning. It paid $44,000 on a fifty cent ticket. The horse that was moved up was about 13-1...the horse i had on my two tickets that was taken down was around 11-1. Not a material difference in a pick five. Here is the real kicker....i had TWO fifty cent tickets! I figure at best it cost me $21 k....it could possibly have cost me $ 88 k. Truth is .....I needed a stiff drink after that one and i have keopt the tickets as a reminder in the future it could always be worse.
Jeez FTL, that's rough. I've had stuff like that happen to me too, for huge huge money, so i know how you feel.

A quote from the 1978 movie Animal House "my advice to you is to start drinking....heavily"
Old 08-14-2013, 08:56 PM   #72
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Hmmm, DQ in the feature at DMR today. Thoughts?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #73
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Hmmm, DQ in the feature at DMR today. Thoughts?
Bad DQ an earlier race had more bumping, involving the same two Jocks and no DQ. Good acting job by Gary.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #74
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I actually thought it was a pretty clear cut foul. The leader came out two different times pretty sharply.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #75
menifee

I put together a p6 and did not play. Good thing I did not as that DQ would have cost me the ticket. I disagree with this call. Yes, the horse did come over, but Stevens way overreacted and the contact was minimal. I don't think the horse coming over would have changed the result. What cost Stevens' horse second was the overreacting.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply