Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-01-2021, 07:41 AM   #1
sammy the sage

Bye Bye Fla. Greyhounds

https://www.yahoo.com/news/demise-u-...154030519.html

Part of my mis-spent youth...been to every track in Fla.....whether just closed or years ago...
Old 01-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #2
judd

Been to Flagler— wheeling and Sarasota kennel club
Old 01-01-2021, 09:06 AM   #3
davew

I wonder what will happen to the 3000-10000 dogs in training
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #4
lamboguy

i used to go to Wonderland every night when it was owned by a corporation called Revere Racing. if you owned stock, you didn't have to pay to get in until the track was bought by Charlie Sarkis. he bought the place because his father was barred from it and his dad got back in the place.

if my memory serves me correctly from only seeing him once this century, i think i saw the the head man here running up and down that place. at one point in time Wonderland used to have over 10,000 people a night there and $1 million in handle on many nights during the summer months when they were the only dog track running in Mass.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #5
classhandicapper

I have a lot fond memories of dog racing in Florida. It's a shame the industry couldn't figure out a way to deal with all the gambling competition and also satisfy those that had concerns about the dogs and sport.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:46 AM   #6
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I have a lot fond memories of dog racing in Florida. It's a shame the industry couldn't figure out a way to deal with all the gambling competition and also satisfy those that had concerns about the dogs and sport.
you might be writing that same quote sometime down the road.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #7
JimG

A huge chunk of my youth was spent going to the dog races in Florida. I will miss it.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2021, 12:14 PM   #8
lamboguy

in the movie Ocean's 11 they found LYMON ZERGA at the Flagler Kennel Club
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-01-2021, 12:28 PM   #9
JimG

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
in the movie Ocean's 11 they found LYMON ZERGA at the Flagler Kennel Club

Derby Lane was the track featured in Ocean's 11.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...7JPeJrL-KCMU-D

Last edited by JimG; 01-01-2021 at 12:29 PM.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-02-2021, 10:38 AM   #10
king kong

Wonderland Greyhounds

Al lot of reported and unreported druging of dogs in the early 60s at Wonderland the biggest dog track in the country at the time!
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2021, 01:11 AM   #11
The_Turf_Monster

Greyhounds were too closely associated to pets. I don’t think that horse racing has to worry about that but should still learn a lesson about what the local government can do if it wants to. Horse racing will lose 10 times out of 10 on a referendum or ballot initiative regardless of how many people it employs
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2021, 02:51 AM   #12
BMustang

Sad day. My finest memories of winters spent in the Miami area are of an afternoon at Gulfstream Park, followed by a nice Italian dinner, and an evening at the Hollywood Dog Track. Good times, fondly remembered.

My first dog track experiences were at the now defunct Biscayne Dog Track on I-95. It was actually much nicer and prettier than Hollywood, but fell victim to its somewhat unsavory location.

More recently I would spend Saturday evenings having dinner in the dining room at the Palm Beach Kennel Club, playing their live racing while having my TV tuned to the Jai-Alai games being played at Dania.

I have lived through a golden era where there were many entertainment outlets available in South Florida during the winter months and am thankful for the experience. Sadly, this is a bygone era.

Thanks for the memories!!!!
BMustang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2021, 04:13 AM   #13
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
I wonder what will happen to the 3000-10000 dogs in training
Same thing that was always happening to them....they go to rescues for adoption, if they aren't killed because they are no longer competitive or badly injured.

I had 2 but you have to work with their special needs in adapting, since their lives were very institutionalized in kennels 16+ hours a day and they are not used to sights and sounds of normal life.

Now there will be less of them, sort of like what happens when people (responsibly) spay and neuter their pets.

I'm not against racing dogs or horses if done responsibly. But greyhounds have a short career, then are "dumped" into rescues as someobody elses problem.

Rescues that subsist on donations and what they can get back from adoptions. Many of the dogs have injuries and require big vet bills before they can be adopted out, too.

Problem w/ sighthounds is they can never be let off a leash, it's in their nature to dart after movement ... so you can't play with them, off leash, in a park or anything.

Is this a new question or were you asking the same thing before?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2021, 02:01 PM   #14
Boomer

If you are looking for a great pet. adopt a greyhound. I have had a few right off the track. Takes a few weeks and they will become part of your household.

They are trained to hold it until they go out. Don't shed. And are fine in a house or apartment. Take them lure coursing a couple of times a year and tou and your families will have a great new family member.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply