Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #16
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I'm not a big weight guy, but I never thought about it like that.

So basically close to 50 years later I may still be underrating Forego (like he didn't beat me often enough already).
One good indicator of how important weight was, at least in long races, was the lengths trainers went to in bullying the racing secretary not to assign heavy weights to their horses.

When you get up to 130 and above, it's a significant handicap, especially when the opponents were carrying 113 or something.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #17
Thomas Roulston

Do these self-righteous idiots realize what effect this is going to have on yearling sales?

Who's going to spend seven figures on a yearling, knowing that if he turns out to be a bleeder and after he runs through his allowance conditions, he's going to have to be given away in a $62.5k optional claiming race?

Either they're going to have to write money-condition and open allowance races for these horses, or prices of horses at yearling sales are going to plummet even worse than stock prices did in the early 1930s.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2020, 01:43 PM   #18
pandy

They race without lasix all over the world and people still buy and breed racehorses. We raced for a very long time without lasix in North America and people still owned and bred racehorses.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #19
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Do these self-righteous idiots realize what effect this is going to have on yearling sales?

Who's going to spend seven figures on a yearling, knowing that if he turns out to be a bleeder and after he runs through his allowance conditions, he's going to have to be given away in a $62.5k optional claiming race?

Either they're going to have to write money-condition and open allowance races for these horses, or prices of horses at yearling sales are going to plummet even worse than stock prices did in the early 1930s.
It's called gambling. Anyone who spent a bunch of money on a yearling like that seeing the public debate that was going on about Lasix may have made a bad bet.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:29 PM   #20
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
They race without lasix all over the world and people still buy and breed racehorses. We raced for a very long time without lasix in North America and people still owned and bred racehorses.
I thought I read you were under the weather. If that's true, does this post mean you are feeling better?
Old 12-23-2020, 05:20 PM   #21
biggestal99

Will be interesting when some of the also rans in those non lasix stakes races run back in lasix allowance races. How many points are can be added to figure out his figure that he will run. An 80 in a stakes race worth how much in an allowance race? Did anyone keep track of the speed figures in non lasix races?

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2020, 05:22 PM   #22
biggestal99

Also will the racing form keep track of the ROI for non lasix races for trainers.

Obviously there will be some marked differences?

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #23
Spalding No!

Quote:

That could be viewed as a good thing; part of the reason owners retire their horses on a whim or after just a single Grade 1 win is to recoup all the money invested from the outset. The yearling market didn't go crazy really until the 1980s.

The quality of racing will never recover if purse money pales in comparison to breeding fees and yearling prices.
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #24
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I thought I read you were under the weather. If that's true, does this post mean you are feeling better?
Thank God, yes, thanks for asking. I got sick on Dec. 5, fever and all that goes with it for six days and then on Friday, Dec. 11, I passed out and fell and kept passing out and they took me to the hospital. I had Covid. I was in the hospital for two days but they decided that since my heart and blood tests were so good, they would not treat me. They said, "Go home and rest." Pretty strange, I thought, considering that I'm 66 years old.

So I came home on Dec. 12 and I felt like crap until 12/21. Walking up the stairs felt like climbing a mountain. I'm still not 100%, knocked the crap out of me, but much better. Fortunately, even though my wife also tested positive, she didn't get that sick, thankfully.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #25
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
That could be viewed as a good thing; part of the reason owners retire their horses on a whim or after just a single Grade 1 win is to recoup all the money invested from the outset. The yearling market didn't go crazy really until the 1980s.

The quality of racing will never recover if purse money pales in comparison to breeding fees and yearling prices.
This. Especially if you want to see good colts race past 3.
Old 12-23-2020, 11:06 PM   #26
taxicab

Thought I read somewhere that Gulfdtream will run lasix free in all stakes on Pegasus day......not sure.
And...
NYRA running lasix free in all stakes races in 2021.......interesting.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2020, 01:18 PM   #27
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Thank God, yes, thanks for asking. I got sick on Dec. 5, fever and all that goes with it for six days and then on Friday, Dec. 11, I passed out and fell and kept passing out and they took me to the hospital. I had Covid. I was in the hospital for two days but they decided that since my heart and blood tests were so good, they would not treat me. They said, "Go home and rest." Pretty strange, I thought, considering that I'm 66 years old.

So I came home on Dec. 12 and I felt like crap until 12/21. Walking up the stairs felt like climbing a mountain. I'm still not 100%, knocked the crap out of me, but much better. Fortunately, even though my wife also tested positive, she didn't get that sick, thankfully.
Glad to hear you are feeling better!
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2020, 01:26 PM   #28
Thomas Roulston

Of course some tracks are refusing to go along with the anti-Lasix crusade: Monmouth Park isn't - and if I'm not mistaken, Indiana Grand isn't either.
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2020, 02:18 PM   #29
Hambletonian

Quote:

Gotta be honest, the last group of folks I am worried about are the breeders--the thoroughbred breed has only gone backwards in the last fifty years, which is quite impressive when you consider the billions of dollars that have been spent trying to breed faster horses.

If you spend a million on a yearling, you obviously have a million to lose...so you roll the dice and take your chances. Being a bleeder is one of a thousand things that could go wrong...and how many seven figure yearlings actually turn a profit?
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-24-2020, 03:30 PM   #30
dilanesp

Quote:
Of course some tracks are refusing to go along with the anti-Lasix crusade: Monmouth Park isn't - and if I'm not mistaken, Indiana Grand isn't either.
Some tracks took longer to adopt Lasix back when it got adopted (NYRA was the last big holdout, and they held out for several years).

So yes, it will take several years to phase out this performance enhancer.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: