Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-17-2020, 05:01 PM   #46
depalma113

The Spanish Flu killed people within hours of contracting because their lungs filled with fluid. This is not happening with Covid-19.

Comparing the two is just pure hysteria.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 05:46 PM   #47
tophatmert

If there are big races to be run later in the year , there will be big money preps for them. I just look at it like a target date that that people can look at and maybe start to think about. Not all of the tracks need to have a live audience. They might want one but they may not need it the way CD does for the derby . Many things can happen in the next few weeks and months. I'm going to continue to support the racing I can now and going forward.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 05:47 PM   #48
airford1

Dont stand, dont stand, dont stand so close to me. Our future doesn't look too bright gentlemen
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 09:21 PM   #49
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
The Spanish Flu had a much higher death rate than is generally reported. Interesting people keep comparing C19 to that...

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19...e-spanish-flu/

"A popular refrain is that the new coronavirus has a frighteningly high fatality rate of at least 2 percent, which is supposedly comparable to that of the 1918 influenza pandemic, also known as the Spanish flu—one of the deadliest viral outbreaks in history. The truth is that this comparison is severely flawed and that the numbers it relies on are almost certainly wrong."
https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...nt_either.html

Swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths in the U.S. Worldwide, swine flu may have killed up to 203,000 people, more than the number thus far infected with Coronavirus, and the vast majority of those infected recovering uneventfully.

Why wasn’t virtually every major sporting event in 2009 cancelled given these numbers? Especially with swine flu preferentially affecting the young?

Granted the coronavirus hasn’t run its course and the numbers will likely increase, but look at the comparison of numbers and reaction now versus then.

In the U.S., 63 deaths now versus 12,000 then. 3,621 cases now versus 60 million then. Yet I don’t remember the hair-on-fire media reaction now versus then. What a difference a president makes.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 09:48 PM   #50
airford1

You dont shut down the WORLD for the flu. People will die. a lot of people and all they are trying to do is slow it's roll to be able to process the carnage. Hold on to your butts.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2020, 10:36 PM   #51
Appy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afleet View Post
https://www.americanthinker.com/arti...nt_either.html

Swine flu caused 60.8 million illnesses, 273,304 hospitalizations, and 12,469 deaths in the U.S. Worldwide, swine flu may have killed up to 203,000 people, more than the number thus far infected with Coronavirus, and the vast majority of those infected recovering uneventfully.

Why wasn’t virtually every major sporting event in 2009 cancelled given these numbers? Especially with swine flu preferentially affecting the young?

Granted the coronavirus hasn’t run its course and the numbers will likely increase, but look at the comparison of numbers and reaction now versus then.

In the U.S., 63 deaths now versus 12,000 then. 3,621 cases now versus 60 million then. Yet I don’t remember the hair-on-fire media reaction now versus then. What a difference a president makes.
The point of measures being taken now is to do whatever possible to lessen catastrophic results. As I post now the number of cases has risen to several times what they were when you posted. That is FAST! Had they undertaken such measures back then maybe the effects wouldn't have been nearly as bad as they were.

I don't see any way you can possibly credit this president with the preventative measures being taken. He called this a "hoax" and defunded the organizations we had in place to deal with such things. Now seeing he was losing even more cred he has swapped ends and is trying to take credit for what others are doing to fight it, along with instituting measures designed to buy your vote with your own money. Gawd I hate politics!
I also don't like the effects of all the shutdowns any more than anyone else, but I would dislike having the effects of testing positive far more. I'm entirely satisfied with playing from home via adw as opposed to attending the track.

Curious to see what the effects of running the Derby late summer has on the sport, and what will they do with the other TC legs? Follow suit, or change the order? I always like the Belmont being third leg. It's easily my fave of the 3.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:33 AM   #52
taxicab

I'm just glad they didn't cancel the Derby this year,they could of scheduled it on December 31st for all I care.......just as long as they run the most exciting two minutes in sports.
Considering the real world situation right now,I'll take a Labor Day weekend Derby.
For one year only,why not look at the bright side of a Triple Crown sequential race change ?
Start the TC off with the 12 furlong Belmont Stakes.......if CV19 is still in play,maybe Belmont Park can push the race back to the July 4th weekend.
No matter when the Belmont is carded,the field will be larger than usual(I think).
The Belmont Stakes day card ia already one of the best betting cards going,if it's pushed back.......just throw in the Belmont Derby & Belmont Oaks carded for the holiday weekend(NY handle records will probably be broken).
The Preakness can be carded whenever Maryland wants.......maybe a month after the Belmont.
And then on to the Derby Labor Day weekend (it would be madness if a Triple Crown was on the line for the Derby).
Plus......it would be cool to have the Breeders Cup right around the corner @ Keenland.
Considering the NBA/NCAA/Masters/MLB [opening stretch] have all been kind of doomed,horse racing kind of dodged a bullet.
Of course the one drawback is the Travers takes a bad beat......hopefully the NYRA can figure out something to help the Travers.

Last edited by taxicab; 03-18-2020 at 12:35 AM.
taxicab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2020, 01:34 AM   #53
AlsoEligible

MD governor announced today that Preakness will also move to sometime in September (date TBD). Assuming Belmont follows suit and stays as the third leg, that puts it in early October? Meaning a three week layoff between the TC and BC? Or does that have to move now too? Gonna be interesting for sure.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2020, 01:49 AM   #54
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
I'm just glad they didn't cancel the Derby this year,they could of scheduled it on December 31st for all I care.......just as long as they run the most exciting two minutes in sports.
Considering the real world situation right now,I'll take a Labor Day weekend Derby.
For one year only,why not look at the bright side of a Triple Crown sequential race change ?
Start the TC off with the 12 furlong Belmont Stakes.......if CV19 is still in play,maybe Belmont Park can push the race back to the July 4th weekend.
No matter when the Belmont is carded,the field will be larger than usual(I think).
The Belmont Stakes day card ia already one of the best betting cards going,if it's pushed back.......just throw in the Belmont Derby & Belmont Oaks carded for the holiday weekend(NY handle records will probably be broken).
The Preakness can be carded whenever Maryland wants.......maybe a month after the Belmont.
And then on to the Derby Labor Day weekend (it would be madness if a Triple Crown was on the line for the Derby).
Plus......it would be cool to have the Breeders Cup right around the corner @ Keenland.
Considering the NBA/NCAA/Masters/MLB [opening stretch] have all been kind of doomed,horse racing kind of dodged a bullet.
Of course the one drawback is the Travers takes a bad beat......hopefully the NYRA can figure out something to help the Travers.
There will not be a Travers this year.

And there's a big difference between the responsible, low key meeting NYRA is conducting at Aqueduct right now and what a TC race or Saratoga would be like. We would need to have the coronavirus vaccine operational before we can have tens of thousands of people stuffed together again. And you can't run these bigger things without fans- large numbers of media types and owners will demand to attend them, which will then also require a lot more staffing.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2020, 02:48 AM   #55
taxicab

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

And there's a big difference between the responsible, low key meeting NYRA is conducting at Aqueduct right now and what a TC race or Saratoga would be like. We would need to have the coronavirus vaccine operational before we can have tens of thousands of people stuffed together again. And you can't run these bigger things without fans- large numbers of media types and owners will demand to attend them, which will then also require a lot more staffing.

So why is Churchill Downs and their gazillion people in attendance a go on Labor Day weekend Saturday ?
Saratoga is running the exact same day.......with about 1/4 of the people Churchill will have.
Why is Saratoga a massive problem that day and Churchill isn't ?
And how do you know the Travers won't run this year ?
Slow down a little slick......

Last edited by taxicab; 03-18-2020 at 02:51 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:54 AM   #56
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
So why is Churchill Downs and their gazillion people in attendance a go on Labor Day weekend Saturday ?
Saratoga is running the exact same day.......with about 1/4 of the people Churchill will have.
Why is Saratoga a massive problem that day and Churchill isn't ?
And how do you know the Travers won't run this year ?
Slow down a little slick......
I am extrapolating from the amount of time we are going to have to maintain social distancing. We are definitely canceling anything with 10,000+ people into August. And that means no Saratoga.

There ain't likely to be a Derby this year either, of course.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:06 AM   #57
taxicab

Quote:
I am extrapolating from the amount of time we are going to have to maintain social distancing. We are definitely canceling anything with 10,000+ people into August. And that means no Saratoga.

There ain't likely to be a Derby this year either, of course.
Quit while you're behind player.....
Old 03-18-2020, 09:34 AM   #58
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:

I could see them running the SPA meet without fans this summer. Some tracks are still running this week.

By that time there should be enough test kits available. They could test everyone who enters the track. I don't believe horses can be carriers. So how many people are we talking about?

They could push the Travers back a couple weeks so as not to interfere with the Kentucky derby.

And hey people, this forum is supposed to be politics free. If you(not talking about dilanesp) have any comments about politicians, there is the Off Topic - General forum for such things.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2020, 10:19 AM   #59
azeri98

Quote:
Yeah, but it flows completely outside of the NCAA. The NCAA needs that basketball tournament to cover its expenses, which are quite large (because they run all the championships in the non-revenue sports, as well as compliance and enforcement).
You didn't answer the question. Who gets the revenue if the NCAA doesn't get it? The NCAA get 550 million every year for basketball including the tournament. The NCAA gets 470 million per yer for the BCS playoffs ONLY. That doesn't include the regular season and all other bowl games. The SEC alone has a 300 million dollar a year deal just for their regular season games. The NCAA probably makes twice as much on college football when all is said and done.
azeri98 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-18-2020, 11:43 AM   #60
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by azeri98 View Post
You didn't answer the question. Who gets the revenue if the NCAA doesn't get it? The NCAA get 550 million every year for basketball including the tournament. The NCAA gets 470 million per yer for the BCS playoffs ONLY. That doesn't include the regular season and all other bowl games. The SEC alone has a 300 million dollar a year deal just for their regular season games. The NCAA probably makes twice as much on college football when all is said and done.
The NCAA literally doesn't get a cent from FBS college football television rights, including the playoff.

College teams won a court case allowing them to go around the NCAA in the 1980's. That's why there are no NCAA logos at the playoff.