Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #511
lamboguy

David Wells is not taking any chances with this horse, once a horse passes him that's the end of the horses career. the horse is going to pick up $10k every 10-21 days as long as they can find fields without speed. they are leaving nothing to chance. if the horse loses a step on his fastball he is done too.

its a nice streak, but the horse is not the same as we was last may!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #512
Midnight Cruiser

I think I just read an article where the owner indicated that he would retire after this race and that he is looking for a "retirement home" for RR to spend his golden years...
Midnight Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #513
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
You don't think the only other horse with any early speed scratching out altered the way the race played out? How could it not?

The 6 scratching allowed Rapid Redux an uncontested lead. Most horses are going to run better uncontested, instead of having a hopeless longshot lapped to their outside.

You can't take away his consistency. But the behind the scenes stuff is unfortunate.
In that 5000N2L win last out, William's Prayer was positioned behind the early leaders for the first 6f. Hard for me to believe that he would be matching strides early today with a much faster and classier competitor than anything he faced last time. The horse is cheap and his demonstrated early sprint speed is nothing like RR's. I think it's unlikely that scratching the #6 impacted the race.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 05:02 PM   #514
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
In that 5000N2L win last out, William's Prayer was positioned behind the early leaders for the first 6f. Hard for me to believe that he would be matching strides early today with a much faster and classier competitor than anything he faced last time. The horse is cheap and his demonstrated early sprint speed is nothing like RR's. I think it's unlikely that scratching the #6 impacted the race.
He broke from the 8-hole in a 8.5f race at Laurel which starts very close to the clubhouse turn...it's no surprise he didn't make the lead there.
If you look at WP's pace figs (i have BRIS pp's) you will see he has an E1 fig from his previous 1m races at Lrl that would put pressure on Rapid Redux through the first 1/4m...that alone could have made the difference in RR holding on late and getting caught today.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 PM   #515
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
He broke from the 8-hole in a 8.5f race at Laurel which starts very close to the clubhouse turn...it's no surprise he didn't make the lead there.
If you look at WP's pace figs (i have BRIS pp's) you will see he has an E1 fig from his previous 1m races at Lrl that would put pressure on Rapid Redux through the first 1/4m...that alone could have made the difference in RR holding on late and getting caught today.
"Lost iron early" and got beat a zillion lengths against lesser company when he ran the big E1 fig. Would it seem like anything other than a kamikaze mission for the trainer/owner to put this horse into a race where he's clearly outclassed by the second and third favourites, never mind RR, and then the jockey to go duel with RR? If you owned that horse, do you think you'd care to run him against RR, especially in a dueling fashion?
Old 01-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #516
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
So I don't think the scratches altered much in terms of the way the race played out, and I certainly don't think there was anything conspiratorial about them.
Maybe, maybe not, but the fact there has been in the past on more than one occasion puts a cloud on the whole streak for me.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 05:16 PM   #517
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
"Lost iron early" and got beat a zillion lengths against lesser company when he ran the big E1 fig. Would it seem like anything other than a kamikaze mission for the trainer/owner to put this horse into a race where he's clearly outclassed by the second and third favourites, never mind RR, and then the jockey to go duel with RR? If you owned that horse, do you think you'd care to run him against RR, especially in a dueling fashion?
Then why enter the horse at all?

You have to admit that in nearly all of the races during the streak other horses with early speed seem to scratch. I could see if it was a one time thing, but the fact it happens over and over again make the whole situation seem fishy at best.

Cole giving horses to Scooter Davis days before Davis trainees were set to run against Rapid Redux (shockingly they scratched) sort of tells the story.

Nice horse, but another manufactured streak.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #518
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

[QUOTE=RXB]"Lost iron early" and got beat a zillion lengths against lesser company when he ran the big E1 fig. Would it seem like anything other than a kamikaze mission for the trainer/owner to put this horse into a race where he's clearly outclassed by the second and third favourites, never mind RR, and then the jockey to go duel with RR? If you owned that horse, do you think you'd care to run him against RR, especially in a dueling fashion?[/QUOTE]

He entered the horse in the race didn't he? He has an E/P run style and would have kept closer company to RR than anyone else today...and i contend it may have made a difference in the outcome.
By the way, he was a vet scratch today as was the other scratched horse (not part of the Rigg entry)...hmmmm.

I see your point about a suicidal duel with RR and that this guy was never gonna win the race today, but trainers aren't always putting their horses in the best spots either....esp this guy who is a 5% trainer and only had 20 starters last year and so far this year.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:23 PM   #519
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
Then why enter the horse at all?
Many horses were entered in the last 5 or 6 races without the connections having any intention of actual showing up in the gate. Favors, bribes, whatever, you be the judge, but the whole things smells. This isn't news, it was so obvious the first few times anybody could see what was happening if they wanted to see it.

Our sport is so desperate for attention it ignores the shady stuff, right or wrong.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:41 PM   #520
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Many horses were entered in the last 5 or 6 races without the connections having any intention of actual showing up in the gate. Favors, bribes, whatever, you be the judge, but the whole things smells. This isn't news, it was so obvious the first few times anybody could see what was happening if they wanted to see it.

Our sport is so desperate for attention it ignores the shady stuff, right or wrong.
i think you happen to have a good handle on things.

i really want to point out how un level a playing field it is for most owners and trainers in this game. this is one example but only a very small one. how about todd pletcher having over 100 stalls in new york tracks, along with other trainers that are top notch. they are top notch because they send their horses out in sets 5 at a time, and charge big money to train them because they have to. but that is really nothing when you go down to fairhills, how about G. Motion having 3 barns there. he sends them out in sets of TWELVE or more! he is paying over $10 a day for rent in Fairhill. he is doing nothing wrong either. i often wonder how he could possibly lose a maiden first or second time starter. its basically impossible for him not to do well with the money he has behind him to train those horses.

you can say what you want about David Wells, or Cole, or all those other guys that win bottom races. they can't win big races like those other guys do.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 06:01 PM   #521
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

Stuff goes on sometimes, and I would hardly be surprised if a few calls have been made re: RR, but I think there's also a significant amount of unfounded speculation. What goes on between Cole and Davis is not necessarily indicative of the reasons behind other withdrawals.

RR is an absolute frontrunning menace at the 5k starter level. He has the stamina to win going away at 9f but he has legit frontrunning sprint speed, too; he was leading or within a head/neck after 2f in his last 14 sprint races. So there shouldn't be any surprise when he gets the lead consistently in route races, and there shouldn't be any surprise when connections of other horses often decide to wait for another spot after the entries are published and they see RR on the list. He's almost like an automatic 60% purse cut.

Any winning streak in horse racing has some sort of manufacturing/management to it.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM   #522
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Stuff goes on sometimes, and I would hardly be surprised if a few calls have been made re: RR, but I think there's also a significant amount of unfounded speculation. What goes on between Cole and Davis is not necessarily indicative of the reasons behind other withdrawals.
I'm not going to get into details, but it is not speculation, and far from unfounded. People can believe what they want. What I find sad is the horse probably didn't even need his races to be rigged to win them, but for some reason the owner thought he might.
Old 01-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #523
proximity

today's race represented so much that is wrong with maryland racing.

* (yet another) hokey unbettable five horse starter allowance.

* goofy one turn mile. a frank stronach obsession.

* silly second finish line.

* and thanks to mr stronach we will never be able to play poker or slots after taking in one of his boring live cards without having to drive to a shopping mall. at least we'll always have the grainy pp-less simulcasts from argentina though!!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 08:13 PM   #524
keilan
Veteran

Frank's isn't what's wrong with racing but go ahead and babble because he's a easy target for many Americans
keilan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #525
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by keilan
Frank's isn't what's wrong with racing but go ahead and babble because he's a easy target for many Americans
he single handedly ruined all chances for maryland racing to have any future by totally bungling the slots deal that was gift wrapped for him.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: