Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #1
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Most vulnerable types of races where favorite is consistently beaten?

Is this type of information available or does anyone keep track? Seems to me that there should be patterns of what types of races favorites consistency get beat at. That info could be huge when betting exotics like pick 3,4,5 etc.
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 08:41 AM   #2
Onion Monster

Ultimate PPs from Brisnet have a race summary page that gives the favorite's winning percentage, ITM percentage and ROI in races of that type. The sample sizes can be quite small, though and past performance, of course, is not indicative of future results.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
ZippyChippy423
Veteran

Thanks!

That should be huge information to any hanicapper out there. Imagine normally
a favorite wins 25% of the time in all races but in
certain condition races only like 5-10% of the time. That is a beautiful thing especially if someone was going to single a favorite
in a particular race..... given this info they clearly would want to change that. Thanks again!
ZippyChippy423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 11:20 AM   #4
CheckMark

When favourites lose

If you do handicap Woodbine, I see any horse that is either 4/5 or really bet down lose. A good example is Pink Lloyd. Bet down and lost the race. I had the winner because I knew Lloyd was going to lose. I am more into value capping at Woodbine this meet, but when I see a big favourite I like, I will be $20 on it.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChippy423 View Post
Is this type of information available or does anyone keep track? Seems to me that there should be patterns of what types of races favorites consistency get beat at. That info could be huge when betting exotics like pick 3,4,5 etc.
Yes, you need the data to make determinations.

I know the stats for all surfaces and class levels through a database for every race in the country, what factors win more than others, etc etc.

In general, turf racing produces the most dynamic price shifts, likely because factors other than pace and speed, which most public information is geared around, performs poorer than on dirt.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #6
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Yes, you need the data to make determinations.

I know the stats for all surfaces and class levels through a database for every race in the country, what factors win more than others, etc etc.

In general, turf racing produces the most dynamic price shifts, likely because factors other than pace and speed, which most public information is geared around, performs poorer than on dirt.
Ever notice most of the trainers that fall under the move up category don't do very well on turf?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Ever notice most of the trainers that fall under the move up category don't do very well on turf?

And what would be your explanation for that happening on a regular basis?
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 02:09 PM   #8
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
And what would be your explanation for that happening on a regular basis?
Dirt is more tiring. On that surface, some trainers seem to find ways to get horse to keep going. On turf, it is more about waiting and speed bursts late. Whatever they are doing helps mostly with stamina.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #9
JohnGalt1

In my experience NW2L claiming races are more likely that the favorite doesn't win. The cheaper the claiming price the more likely the favorite is vulnerable.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
thaskalos

Quote:
certain condition races only like 5-10% of the time. That is a beautiful thing
especially if someone was going to single a favorite
in a particular race..... given this info they clearly would want to change that. Thanks again!
IMO...the betting public has proven themselves quite competent across all types of races. If I ever saw a sample where the favorite won only 5-10% of the time...then, instead of betting that this trend would continue...I would expect that things would revert to the mean.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #11
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...the betting public has proven themselves quite competent across all types of races. If I ever saw a sample where the favorite won only 5-10% of the time...then, instead of betting that this trend would continue...I would expect that things would revert to the mean.
I can put up some stats when I get home.

I have definitely changed the way I bet now and a big part of it is finding the type of races that produce more random results. Random in the sense the general, or even the slightly less sophisticated player does not see.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #12
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
In my experience NW2L claiming races are more likely that the favorite doesn't win. The cheaper the claiming price the more likely the favorite is vulnerable.
Are you suggesting that a 3/2 favorite in a NW2L wins at a rate lower than 3/2 favorites in other types of races? There may in fact be fewer winning favorites in NW2L but there is probably a higher average odds for favorites in those races.
AndyC is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 09:29 AM   #13
castaway01

Quote:
certain condition races only like 5-10% of the time. That is a beautiful thing especially if someone was going to single a favorite
Most of these stats are more like the favorite wins 38% in one type of race and 30% of the time in another. If there was a condition where the favorite was winning 10%, better start betting the favorites in those races because the public will figure it out.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-12-2018, 02:54 PM   #14
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1 View Post
If true that's pretty interesting. Because traditionally one of the categories with the highest % of winning favorites is lower level maiden claimers.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #15
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
If true that's pretty interesting. Because traditionally one of the categories with the highest % of winning favorites is lower level maiden claimers.
This is accurate based on my studies, and on the grass even more so.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: