Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-12-2016, 02:42 PM   #46
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
These are not your father's kids.
My brother, who is deadly afraid of traumatizing his kids by telling them no, is. And he has never had an unsure thought about politics in his life. Just vote the straight Democratic ticket and you are done.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:10 PM   #47
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
Yes, as in not disturb your little love-in with bks. I'll leave you two alone to admire each other.

And as for your other question, as I've done almost every day for the past 17+ years, I'll continue to comment wherever and whenever I like. If you don't want comments, use private message or email.

Your problem (and it's one shared by many on here), is that you can't distinguish between the "regular guy PA" and the "admin PA."

I'll give you a hint...admin PA rarely comes out into the daylight...99% of the time what you're reading is coming from "regular guy PA."

Once you learn that, you'll have less of a problem with me and simply treat me as you would anyone else on here.
You can comment whenever and wherever you like...and I can have a love-in with whomever I like...without needing your approval. I submitted an initial post here, in support of something that bks had written...and you chose to reply to it in a particular way. My post wasn't directed towards you...and it wasn't antagonistic in any way. So...why did it attract your snide reply?
Old 02-12-2016, 03:14 PM   #48
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Basically, all I said to you originally and in a nutshell is --> I won't continue further commenting about your high praise for bks and his comments.

I thought it was pretty harmless, pretty neutral...and...considering how it appears you don't like me very much these days, I thought you'd be happy reading that I planned on shutting up for a change.

I think you seriously misread me there...saying I am going to back away quietly so not to disturb you does not mean I'm being critical of you...it means I'm gonna leave you be because I have nothing to add.

So much for that plan.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 02-12-2016 at 03:15 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #49
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
I have no problem stating openly that I am bks's #1 fan here. And if he ever decided to write a book...I would walk through a snow storm to acquire a copy.

His integrity is UNMATCHED...as far as I am concerned. Never has an online poster ever made the impression on me that bks has made. In fact...a post of his about his country of origin sits framed on my desk...as an indication of what integrity is all about.
If he ever decided to write a book you would find it in the fiction section.

I don't know about his integrity but his knowledge of Wall Street approached ignoramus status. I am sure that there are crooks on Wall Street just as there in every occupation. To say that a person's job is to cheat is nonsense.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #50
thaskalos

Quote:
If I'm Andy's online attorney, you can be bks' online applause emoticon.

Problem solved.
Nice try...but THIS is the post of yours that I was talking about. I find it inappropriate for TWO reasons.

A) It wasn't I who called you "Andy's online attorney"...and I have never done such a thing. If I had said such a thing...then I could have expected such a reply from you. But as it stands...such a comment should not be directed at me.

And B) The Andy conversation took place in the horse racing forum. And, if you really were the "Regular Guy PA" that you say you are...then you would know that your twin brother, the Administrator PA, strongly discourages the intermixing of topics between the racing and the off-topic forums. Whenever Administrator PA sees that a topic from the racing forum is carried into the off-topics (and vice versa) he pounds his heavy hand on the table and says that such behavior is not tolerated here. So...when YOU do it...are you really the "Regular Guy PA"...or the "Administrator PA"...who is showing us that he can get away with something that we ourselves can't get away with here?

Yes...it does appear as if a certain dislike pervades between us. It doesn't bother me...and I hope you feel the same.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #51
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Doesn't bother me either. Although I don't dislike you...that might be the difference.

Anyway...

Bringing horse racing into off-topic is perfectly fine...it's the other way around that is no bueno...(this was admin PA talking).

AND...as for the "I'll be the attorney and you be the emoticon" thing, that was me trying for some humor. Guess that was an epic fail. I never meant to imply that you called me Andy's attorney...it was simply a joke because you were looking for the applause emoticon...

Anyway...like I said before, this has been nothing but a miscommunication. And really, I want to back out quietly!!!
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #52
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC
If he ever decided to write a book you would find it in the fiction section.

I don't know about his integrity but his knowledge of Wall Street approached ignoramus status. I am sure that there are crooks on Wall Street just as there in every occupation. To say that a person's job is to cheat is nonsense.
Yes, yes...we know. Poor Wall Street gets such an undeserved bum rap.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:56 PM   #53
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, yes...we know. Poor Wall Street gets such an undeserved bum rap.
Yeah and every grocer is honest. Wait, wasn't Whole Foods just caught ripping off NYers? By extension, should I consider you dishonest? I don't. Put the broad brush away.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2016, 03:57 PM   #54
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
You'll be praying for Sanders (or Hillary) when you do.
Not bloody likely.
Both are worthless.
What you say about Wall Street is partially true at best, but it certainly applies ALL of the Hill in DC. The Clinton machine is a huge part of the problem, more so than any single bank. And Bernie is just a deranged dreamer who talks nonsense with absolutely no way to back up any of his hollow promises. So let's throw in the educational system of the nation who have served up hundreds of thousand of brain-dead imbeciles who buy into his crap.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #55
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Yeah and every grocer is honest. Wait, wasn't Whole Foods just caught ripping off NYers? By extension, should I consider you dishonest? I don't. Put the broad brush away.
If the grocers were as corrupt as the Wall Street "Wealth Management" companies, then 99% of the grocery stores would be out of business...because they wouldn't be able to afford the fines that the Wall Street companies had to pay to remain in business.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:16 PM   #56
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
If the grocers were as corrupt as the Wall Street "Wealth Management" companies, then 99% of the grocery stores would be out of business...because they wouldn't be able to afford the fines that the Wall Street companies had to pay to remain in business.
Explain to me how "wealth management" arms of Wall St firms are corrupt. By wealth management, I assume you mean the investment management arms? If you think the fees are too high, buy an index fund. Is there something beyond the fees? Again, please address the "wealth management" arms.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:35 PM   #57
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Explain to me how "wealth management" arms of Wall St firms are corrupt. By wealth management, I assume you mean the investment management arms? If you think the fees are too high, buy an index fund. Is there something beyond the fees? Again, please address the "wealth management" arms.
There have been regulatory actions taken against these major firms, Mike...where they have had to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in fines...and it wasn't because of their excessive fees. Merrill Lynch agreed to pay a $100,000,000 fine in 2002 alone...for "publishing misleading research". Renowned "stock analysts" were caught passing emails to one-another...where they bragged about recommending worthless stock to their gullible clients.

The scandal rocked the entire Street...and these "investment management" companies took to the air-waves...to publicly apologize to their beleaguered clients. Did you miss all that?
Old 02-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #58
classhandicapper

What almost everyone fails understand is that it's the libertarian wing of the REPUBLICAN party that is the only political group in American that both agrees with the negative views on Wall St and actually understands how to correct it. The left sees the problem as a matter of corruption and greed. The problem is actually an unsound monetary and banking system that allows corrupt and greedy people to maximize the damage they do. With a sound monetary and banking system (eliminate the Fed and return to hard money), we can still achieve the benefits of free markets but also sharply reduce many of the excesses. If we take the path of left, we'll all go to hell together.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 02-12-2016 at 04:52 PM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-12-2016, 04:49 PM   #59
thaskalos

Quote:
Doesn't bother me either. Although I don't dislike you...that might be the difference.
I know. You have a fondness for me...but you just have trouble showing it.

No problem, PA. It's a simple personality clash, that's all. Not all of us are meant to get along. All of our problems should be this minor.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:57 PM   #60
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
There have been regulatory actions taken against these major firms, Mike...where they have had to pay hundreds of millions of dollars in fines...and it wasn't because of their excessive fees. Merrill Lynch agreed to pay a $100,000,000 fine in 2002 alone...for "publishing misleading research". Renowned "stock analysts" were caught passing emails to one-another...where they bragged about recommending worthless stock to their gullible clients.

The scandal rocked the entire Street...and these "investment management" companies took to the air-waves...to publicly apologize to their beleaguered clients. Did you miss all that?
You're referring to the equity research dept at Merrill, which is part of the capital markets division. Most wouldn't refer to that as "wealth management." That's why I asked the question. I thought you had some insight into the wealth mgt biz.