Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-03-2022, 03:21 PM   #1
46zilzal
velocitician

Ray Guy passes

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...s-at-age-of-72

Ray Guy, widely considered the greatest punter in history, has died at the age of 72.

“The Southern Miss family mourns today following the passing of Golden Eagle great Ray Guy, who died Thursday morning following a lengthy illness,.
Old 11-03-2022, 06:24 PM   #2
Marshall Bennett

He not only punted distance, the hang time seemed forever. His punts had amazing force off his foot.
RIP tough guy.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2022, 09:43 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

His stats are way below many of today’s punters.

His true skill was placing the ball short of the end zone.

Many believe he should of not made the HOF
Old 11-03-2022, 10:08 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
His stats are way below many of today’s punters.

His true skill was placing the ball short of the end zone.

Many believe he should of not made the HOF

He isn't even top 50 in net average or gross average. There has to be a logical explanation.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2022, 11:59 PM   #5
jimmyb

He once punted so high the ball hit the roof of the Super Dome. Greatest hang time punter I've ever seen.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2022, 01:19 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
He once punted so high the ball hit the roof of the Super Dome. Greatest hang time punter I've ever seen.
I read somewhere that he invented that stat.

Before him they never kept that stat.
Old 11-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #7
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I read somewhere that he invented that stat.

Before him they never kept that stat.
No way. Hang time was commonly used in the 60s. Yale Lary and Donnie Anderson were the first two to be associated with the term to my knowledge. Anderson, prior to Green Bay, was known for his "hang time" as a punter (in addition to being a great rb prior to the knee injury). Connie Alexander was the play by play guy for a lot of tech games on the Humble SWC network, pretty sure I first heard it from his broadcasts
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2022, 01:52 PM   #8
ElKabong

Re : Ray Guy. Best punter I've ever seen. RIP.
“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,” -Joe Biden
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2022, 11:15 PM   #9
jimmyb

I read the Superdome story in John Madden's book. Ray auctioned his Superbowl rings due to bankruptcy. He deserved better.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2022, 06:25 PM   #10
Track Collector
Grinding at a Poker Table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
He isn't even top 50 in net average or gross average. There has to be a logical explanation.
Comparing players from different eras is extremely difficult, and in reality, is often very subjective.

Rules change, training changes, technologies advance, etc.

I was reading a study by a data analyst who was attempting to compare the various chess champions who reigned over the years, to rank who he thought might be among the best of all time. His study focused on the specific champions, and how much dominant or better they were vs. the next top 5-10 contemporaries. By doing so, he did not have to consider variables or conditions (from other eras) which could be seen as problematic to work into the analysis.

It is often fun and interesting to speculate how one player might perform in a different era, but IMO is it much better to focus on information we do have (like comparisons with contemporaries) rather than that which is pure speculation.
Track Collector is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-08-2022, 06:38 PM   #11
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Collector View Post
Comparing players from different eras is extremely difficult, and in reality, is often very subjective.

Rules change, training changes, technologies advance, etc.

I was reading a study by a data analyst who was attempting to compare the various chess champions who reigned over the years, to rank who he thought might be among the best of all time. His study focused on the specific champions, and how much dominant or better they were vs. the next top 5-10 contemporaries. By doing so, he did not have to consider variables or conditions (from other eras) which could be seen as problematic to work into the analysis.

It is often fun and interesting to speculate how one player might perform in a different era, but IMO is it much better to focus on information we do have (like comparisons with contemporaries) rather than that which is pure speculation.

In most instances that is true, but I think not a lot has changed rules wise when it comes to punting. The biggest changes from the old days are definitely the medical ones.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply