Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-04-2022, 08:40 AM   #1
lamboguy

NYRA Breakage

with payoffs between 2.10 through 9.99 breakages is .10. from 10.00 through 49.99 breakages is .20. for payoffs 50.00 through 499.99 it is .50. anything above 500.00 is 1.00.

the takeout on straight wagering is 16% but the CAW is not allowed in those pools.

just bringing this up before Saratoga begins because it's not such a bad deal compared to other options now. Saratoga also offers the biggest pools on a daily basis on this continent.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2022, 02:25 PM   #2
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
with payoffs between 2.10 through 9.99 breakages is .10.

Looks like you'd better guess again.

Nickel breakage is obvious - even with the last race they ran as of this writing.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-05-2022, 02:48 PM   #3
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
Looks like you'd better guess again.

Nickel breakage is obvious - even with the last race they ran as of this writing.
what part is obvious?
Old 07-05-2022, 06:58 PM   #4
AndyC

Quote:
what part is obvious?

Breaking to the nearest dime for a $2 win-place-show bet is nickel breakage. You are both correct.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:48 AM   #5
lamboguy

right now in Kentucky, if your ticket is worth $595 before breakage, you get $550. that is if i am reading this correctly. i can't find the exact figures, but i suspect there is a lot of money that is paid by horseplayers in the form of breakage.

https://www.usbets.com/horse-racing-breakage-kentucky/
Old 07-08-2022, 04:09 AM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
right now in Kentucky, if your ticket is worth $595 before breakage, you get $550. that is if i am reading this correctly. i can't find the exact figures, but i suspect there is a lot of money that is paid by horseplayers in the form of breakage.

https://www.usbets.com/horse-racing-breakage-kentucky/
Good article. The example of the 47% takeout is a bit extreme, based on 250 two dollar tickets as opposed to a single 50 cent trifecta, but the math is sound. Reminds of the theft running rampant in the Illinois OTB system. I've always tried to wager larger bets online, but one night back in 2003 or so I was at the OTB in Springfield, and I loved a horse at 20-1. I bet $100 to W/P on the mule and it finished second, paying $20.80 to place or so. After taking a hit from the on track breakage, I found my pants around my ankles when I got back just over $900 instead of $1040 after the OTB "surcharge".

For the first state to move forward with penny breakage, I imagine a boost in handle will follow. But I'm not holding my breath as the banksters running racing are from the same cloth as the banksters on Wall St.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-08-2022, 08:52 AM   #7
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Good article. The example of the 47% takeout is a bit extreme, based on 250 two dollar tickets as opposed to a single 50 cent trifecta, but the math is sound. Reminds of the theft running rampant in the Illinois OTB system. I've always tried to wager larger bets online, but one night back in 2003 or so I was at the OTB in Springfield, and I loved a horse at 20-1. I bet $100 to W/P on the mule and it finished second, paying $20.80 to place or so. After taking a hit from the on track breakage, I found my pants around my ankles when I got back just over $900 instead of $1040 after the OTB "surcharge".

For the first state to move forward with penny breakage, I imagine a boost in handle will follow. But I'm not holding my breath as the banksters running racing are from the same cloth as the banksters on Wall St.
what an example of thievery that one is. i don't know of to many horse players that would bet into that type of rake.

i have no idea why the racing industry doesn't get together to get the game on track.. its really the easiest and most sustaining form of gambling around, and the guys running the show have figured out how to infiltrate the sport and ruin it in every way imaginable. its almost impossible to fathom that a video slot machine business does better than live racing.
Old 07-08-2022, 10:33 AM   #8
BarchCapper

Quote:
what an example of thievery that one is. i don't know of to many horse players that would bet into that type of rake.
Back hen it was the only game in town other than the lottery, we horseplayers flocked into NYC OTB (and other NY state OTBs) for the privilege of paying the 5% surcharge on winning bets. I guess we were consoled by the fact that on the larger number of tickets we had which lost, we were losing the same amount as the on-track bettors.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply