Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-16-2022, 01:44 PM   #1
Sea Hero

Telemarketing myself

A few minutes ago, my cell played its old-time phone ring. I looked at the screen, and caller ID read "My Phone." The number that was calling me was the same one as the phone in my hand.

I talk to myself anyway, so I thought that I should hear what I had to say. I answered the call. A female voice told me to wait for the next agent. It was a nice voice if you're into the digital voice thing. Then a human spoke. I could hear a lot of other humans in the background. I didn't know I had so many people in the house. If there were I didn't see them. Just the wife and cat, and if they were talking, they learned ventriloquism.

So I waited to see what Me had to say to me. The Me on the other side of the call didn't sound like the me sitting in the chair listening to myself. Me on the other side had an accent, probably from somewhere in Asia. That Me wasn't using very good English either. It was also a female version of me. Thus giving a new meaning to "bisexual." Or something.

Anyway, Me wanted to sell me an automobile warranty plan on a vehicle I traded in two years ago for the vehicle I now have. I told Me that my vehicle was under warranty for another three years. Me didn't care. Me went right on reading from the script, until I got tired of listening to Me, told Me to do something special and probably impossible, and pressed the red button.

After I mumbled something about the state of the world, my wife asked me if I was talking to myself again. I told her that I was not only talking to myself, I was also phoning myself from India (or wherever) to sell myself an auto warranty. She gave me THAT LOOK that suggested that I'd finally emptied the bag of marbles, and I had to show her the call log.
Sea Hero is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2022, 02:02 PM   #2
Inner Dirt

Usually those companies just spoof the area code to make you think it is a local call, you got a real strange one. What annoys me is when you call customer service and end up getting a call center person who has a strong accent and obviously knows nothing about what they are representing. I will usually then ask where the hell they are at, some will flat out lie and claim they are in the USA. That then escalates my anger and I start screwing with them.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2022, 02:32 PM   #3
vegasone

If you answer these kind of calls you are put into a list and they never stop calling you.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2022, 02:37 PM   #4
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
If you answer these kind of calls you are put into a list and they never stop calling you.

I never answer and I constantly get auto warranty calls. I know because some leave long voicemails.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:21 PM   #5
tbwinner

I get 3 a day, minimum.

Once they get your number, you're on forever.

As I have my number used for work and my small biz, I still need access to voicemails. This is the ONLY reason I have the Voicemail-to-Text transcription. I think it's something like $3 a month....but absolutely necessary so I don't hear the auto warranty messages.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2022, 07:34 PM   #6
boxcar

Thank God for good ol' fashioned land line answering machines. We screen 100% of our calls just so we don' have to deal with the insanity.

I've always had a philosophy about phones: Since it's mine and I bought it and I pay the monthly service charges, I get to choose with whom I want to talk.
Old 10-16-2022, 07:44 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Funny, I got an auto warranty call today, every 276 area code call I get is that BS. Not sure if it is a spoofed area code or there is a boiler room in southwest Virginia. I live in Central Va, area code 804. I don't answer unless I know the number and I am even self employed. Almost every initial business contact is through e-mail, so it doesn't cost me any business.