Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-03-2022, 06:33 PM   #1
Overkill

Hong Kong - Largest Dividends

Hello all,

Newbie here. You all have helped me in the past.

Let's make a crazy assumption. Let's say I have noticed that Horses whose names have 8 or fewer letters in their names tend to be faster than other horses. Of course, this is not true - I am just picking something for illustrative purposes only.

So, let's say I indeed have discovered a winning pattern (number of letters in the horse's name) that is independent of odds. And, further assume I only want to bet on races that will have the largest payouts.

So, aside from odds, are there any characteristics of a Hong Kong (Sha Tin, Happy Valley) horse race that leads one to believe a particular pool (e.g., Quinella, Forecast a.k.a. Exacta, Quartet, Tierce a.k.a. Straight Trifecta, etc.) will be very large?

That is, does the last race of the day or night tend to have the largest pools? Or does the Class (Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, Class 4, Class 5) of the race play a role? Or does the number of horses play a role? How about weekend vs. weekday? Night vs. day? # of Horses in the race?

On the Hong Kong Jockey Club website, under Racing, Local, Under "Current Odds," at the bottom, there is a chart "Total Investment" that lists 9 or so Pools including "Tierce," "Quinella," "Race Total (All Pools) $4,500,000," etc., for example. Is this table the best indicator how big a particular Pool might be for that race?

Thank you in advance!
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2022, 06:43 PM   #2
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
Hello all,

Newbie here. You all have helped me in the past.

Let's make a crazy assumption. Let's say I have noticed that Horses whose names have 8 or fewer letters in their names tend to be faster than other horses. Of course, this is not true - I am just picking something for illustrative purposes only.

So, let's say I indeed have discovered a winning pattern (number of letters in the horse's name) that is independent of odds. And, further assume I only want to bet on races that will have the largest payouts.

So, aside from odds, are there any characteristics of a Hong Kong (Sha Tin, Happy Valley) horse race that leads one to believe a particular pool (e.g., Quinella, Forecast a.k.a. Exacta, Quartet, Tierce a.k.a. Straight Trifecta, etc.) will be very large?

That is, does the last race of the day or night tend to have the largest pools? Or does the Class (Class 1, Class 2, Class 3, Class 4, Class 5) of the race play a role? Or does the number of horses play a role? How about weekend vs. weekday? Night vs. day? # of Horses in the race?

On the Hong Kong Jockey Club website, under Racing, Local, Under "Current Odds," at the bottom, there is a chart "Total Investment" that lists 9 or so Pools including "Tierce," "Quinella," "Race Total (All Pools) $4,500,000," etc., for example. Is this table the best indicator how big a particular Pool might be for that race?

Thank you in advance!
when the tracks show the payoffs, they are based on $10 units in Hong Kong

i wish you luck, i tried the racing there and got busted.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-03-2022, 06:45 PM   #3
Overkill

Yes, thank you

Thank you
Overkill is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-05-2022, 09:24 PM   #4
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post

A few years ago I noticed an 80-to-1 shot having just won at Sha Tin.

It was soon after our money first began to go directly into their pools, so my ADW was representing $U.S. amounts for our digestion.

The 80-to-1 shot had more than a quarter million dollars (bet to win) on it.

I don't think pool size is a factor to the random individual inquiring about Hong Kong wagering pools.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2022, 01:44 AM   #5
Parkview_Pirate

Most of the Hong Kong pools available for us to bet here in North America are co-mingled, and are huge. We do not have access to all of them, and the ADW's are different.

If you have access to all the pools from where you live, I am jealous.

Currently I can play win, place, quinella, quinella-place (omni), trifectas (tierce) and a pick three on the last three races. NYRA bets offers 20 cent tris, Twinspires $1.30 tris. I think the pick 3 is a "local" North American pool at the hosting hub, which used to be Woodbine.

No bets are available for doubles, forecast (exacta), supers (first four (straight) and quartet (box)), or the other crazy multi-race wagers double trio (like a twin tri), triple trio and six up.

On the odds page on the HKJC site for each race, the far left pane has the info on the various pools, and at the bottom of the column is the "pool investment" tab which shows the totals for each pool. The quinella place pool is HUGELY popular, and in spite of the triple breakage, seems to offer some great overlays, especially when the chalk runs out. Watch these pools for a few days, and see which ones are largest. I have not noticed any trends across the cards, though I do believe Sha Tin weekend (usually Sunday) pools are a bit larger than the Happy Valley on Wednesday nights.

As Lambo mentioned the payouts are in $10 (Hong Kong) dollar units. Oddly enough, the payouts in Singapore are in $5 units. The HK dollar is tied to the U.S. dollar at 8-1, so if you see $2M in a pool, that's $250K US. Doesn't matter too much as whatever units you bet are automatically converted back and forth by the ADW, just like when a US citizen bets Woodbine.

A larger pool doesn't automatically mean a dumber pool. If you have the bankroll to dent ANY of those on-track pools in Hong Kong, then good luck!

It's my favorite circuit to play, but it's tough. The horses are very closely monitored and handicapped, and it comes down to trip and bias most of the time. The late plunges are something to behold. Keep an eye on the Q/Q-P probables, and watch the board light up in colors the last minute - green for a 20% drop in odds, brown for a 50% plunge. Some serious money comes rolling in late from the whales, and they are not always correct....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2022, 02:46 AM   #6
Parkview_Pirate

Screen shot - Race 4, Sha Tin - all pools

Divide by 8 to get amounts in US dollars. Win, place, Q and Q-P pools large, others smaller.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot from 2022-05-07 01-36-55.png (40.1 KB, 7 views)
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2022, 11:35 AM   #7
Ted Craven

There is a direct co-relation between number of runners and pool size. When 14 horses run, all pools are almost always higher than when 7 horses run. As a generalized statement, the payouts stand a better chance of being higher in a larger field.

Ted

Last edited by Ted Craven; 05-07-2022 at 11:37 AM.
Ted Craven is offline   Reply With Quote Reply