Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 05-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #91
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Hey coach.....your falling apart before your 10,000th post...

imagine what you'll be like at 100,000

We need some tips from Tom on ...HOW HE DOES IT!!!

Magic formula?
Problem is.....

1) I was running on fumes at 3:30 AM when I was handicapping this card.

2) When I downloaded and saved my PP's, I accidentally saved them as GP 5/9. My hard drive allowed me to because yesterday's were saved as gp 5/9 (lower case).

I've been falling apart for a long time
Old 05-10-2020, 12:27 PM   #92
Muddy
Muddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
Problem is.....

I've been falling apart for a long time
I think there's a lot of that going around.
Muddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 12:41 PM   #93
mapman

mike

thanks for your analysis....

i just play numbers generally...

now using the 6 in the ticket
mapman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 01:10 PM   #94
mikesal57
Veteran

GUYS...track is off...no turf

I am relaxing today

good luck who ever plays
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 02:41 PM   #95
Longshot6977

Gulfstream's 4th race

At 1 MTP I did a 2-6-7 exacta box and also used 11 w 2-6-7- for an exacta just in case, LOL. Good luck all.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #96
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
At 1 MTP I did a 2-6-7 exacta box and also used 11 w 2-6-7- for an exacta just in case, LOL. Good luck all.
Not a bad Exacta...$24.20 for $1

2 didn't run a bad race
Old 05-10-2020, 03:21 PM   #97
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:

2 didn't run a bad race
Congrats!!!

Not any different than what I capped...

11 goes to the lead or close to it and the 7 is better than the 2 (last)

too bad it didnt stay on turf...the 6 looked like he was ready today...next out
Old 05-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #98
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:

2 didn't run a bad race
By the way....

it was the 12 running a good race...not the 2...

you ARE falling apart....
Old 05-10-2020, 03:45 PM   #99
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
By the way....

it was the 12 running a good race...not the 2...

you ARE falling apart....
oh jeez....I turned on the video stream just as they were in the stretch. I though that was the two in third for a little while before fading.
Old 05-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #100
Light
Veteran

Coach

I've been aware of this angle for some time and incorporate it it in my homemade program. I actually used it as my "secret weapon" when I went to the NHC handicapping contest years ago to catapult me into the top ten after day 1. Another story. Point being it is a solid angle.

However I use a variation of it from you. My program uses the last race and looks for an italicized horse. Also there does not have to be 2 italicized horses in the way I use it. But I have a requirement of the horse being within 3 lengths of the last italicized horse,if there are 2 of them. In looking at your examples I see all the winners from 2 back having been within 3 lengths of the italicized horse. So just my 2 cents as far as some structure for this angle. You have a few that were well outside that criteria and they did nothing.

I noticed some of your horses do not follow the rules you originally stated. For example some show only 1 italicized horse two back. The horse today "Perfect enough" who did nothing had his italicized race 3 back instead of 2. Also that horse was 8 lengths behind the last italicized horse in that race. Whereas your other horse "Castillete" who ran second had even beaten one of the italicized horse two back. Also not all your horses in your examples are dropping class. Some like "Lionite" who I loved and had, had stepped up in class last time and stayed there for the win. Personally I like to give an angle some criteria but also be flexible and use common sense.

For example, yesterday there was a horse who had this variation of this angle @ GP R3 and won paying $29.80 named Temperance. 2 back she finished 3 1/2 back of the italicized horse. So slightly out of my own rules for lengths back. But that was when the horse was a 3yo. I also give flexibility for trouble as far as lengths behind but nothing too far out of the criteria range.

I can tell you the angle is positive and it is one of the highest with ROI.Win percentage seems to be around 35%. But other factors that combine with this angle can enhance it or weaken it. And a lot of times that is difficult to determine. But keeping statistics helps.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #101
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Coach

I've been aware of this angle for some time and incorporate it it in my homemade program. I actually used it as my "secret weapon" when I went to the NHC handicapping contest years ago to catapult me into the top ten after day 1. Another story. Point being it is a solid angle.

However I use a variation of it from you. My program uses the last race and looks for an italicized horse. Also there does not have to be 2 italicized horses in the way I use it. But I have a requirement of the horse being within 3 lengths of the last italicized horse,if there are 2 of them. In looking at your examples I see all the winners from 2 back having been within 3 lengths of the italicized horse. So just my 2 cents as far as some structure for this angle. You have a few that were well outside that criteria and they did nothing.

I noticed some of your horses do not follow the rules you originally stated. For example some show only 1 italicized horse two back. The horse today "Perfect enough" who did nothing had his italicized race 3 back instead of 2. Also that horse was 8 lengths behind the last italicized horse in that race. Whereas your other horse "Castillete" who ran second had even beaten one of the italicized horse two back. Also not all your horses in your examples are dropping class. Some like "Lionite" who I loved and had, had stepped up in class last time and stayed there for the win. Personally I like to give an angle some criteria but also be flexible and use common sense.

For example, yesterday there was a horse who had this variation of this angle @ GP R3 and won paying $29.80 named Temperance. 2 back she finished 3 1/2 back of the italicized horse. So slightly out of my own rules for lengths back. But that was when the horse was a 3yo. I also give flexibility for trouble as far as lengths behind but nothing too far out of the criteria range.

I can tell you the angle is positive and it is one of the highest with ROI.Win percentage seems to be around 35%. But other factors that combine with this angle can enhance it or weaken it. And a lot of times that is difficult to determine. But keeping statistics helps.
Thanks Light...this is very helpful! As you mention, I do go away from the angle on a few of these. I posted them because they were kind of a hybid or variation of the angle. Great stuff!
Old 05-10-2020, 05:02 PM   #102
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Coach

thxs Light...

as I said this has been around a long time...
and if
we want we can get into the A Angle and have a dynamic duo....for years to come also
Old 05-10-2020, 05:36 PM   #103
Secondbest

Quote:
Coach

Do you also include the jockey switch in your program for the angle? Especially to a rider who has won or hit the board with horse before.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #104
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
Do you also include the jockey switch in your program for the angle? Especially to a rider who has won or hit the board with horse before.
My program includes more than just jockey switches to come up with the "combined total factors" a horse can have.

For example if the horse only qualifies for the "italicized angle" my very limited statistics show a 35% win rate . Even slightly better is if the horse's last race was a "top"as well. But if the horse had a top and no works >23 days, it becomes a losing angle. Or if there was no top, just no works greater than 23 days.

I have limited data when there is a jock switch. That's because I don't enter data on jock switches unless the new rider (same goes for trainers) has a win % that is 10% above or below the previous one. Horses definitely perform better with a jock who has a 10% greater win % than the previous one and vice versa.

If there is no 10% discrepancy between riders and the previous jock was within 1 length of winning with the horse (or won) and is now on another horse, then that is usually a negative with this angle. My stats show those horses win only 10% of the time.

I make exceptions if the horse is claimed. Most of the time the new trainer will use his own jock and the jock switch is not intentional but from the barn change.Also if a horse comes from another track into the track you are playing and had a 20% jock on and now you have a 6% jock on I don't bother giving that a negative either because there are many things beyond control in those situations. Also sometimes the lower % jock is intentional to get the price up.

There are 50 "factors" that my program checks for. Besides the italicized horse, there are drops, trouble,change in distance,"big wins"etc. That would mean around 2500 different "combined total factors" a horse can have coming into a race. I currently have data on only 900 form factors, some with only 1 sample.

Although I've used this factor Coach is talking about for years, it's only been the last couple of years I decided to try to find the statistics on it as well as other form factors. Anecdotal evidence is too inaccurate.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2020, 08:17 PM   #105
coachv30

Quote:
My program includes more than just jockey switches to come up with the "combined total factors" a horse can have.

For example if the horse only qualifies for the "italicized angle" my very limited statistics show a 35% win rate . Even slightly better is if the horse's last race was a "top"as well. But if the horse had a top and no works >23 days, it becomes a losing angle. Or if there was no top, just no works greater than 23 days.

I have limited data when there is a jock switch. That's because I don't enter data on jock switches unless the new rider (same goes for trainers) has a win % that is 10% above or below the previous one. Horses definitely perform better with a jock who has a 10% greater win % than the previous one and vice versa.

If there is no 10% discrepancy between riders and the previous jock was within 1 length of winning with the horse (or won) and is now on another horse, then that is usually a negative with this angle. My stats show those horses win only 10% of the time.

I make exceptions if the horse is claimed. Most of the time the new trainer will use his own jock and the jock switch is not intentional but from the barn change.Also if a horse comes from another track into the track you are playing and had a 20% jock on and now you have a 6% jock on I don't bother giving that a negative either because there are many things beyond control in those situations. Also sometimes the lower % jock is intentional to get the price up.

There are 50 "factors" that my program checks for. Besides the italicized horse, there are drops, trouble,change in distance,"big wins"etc. That would mean around 2500 different "combined total factors" a horse can have coming into a race. I currently have data on only 900 form factors, some with only 1 sample.

Although I've used this factor Coach is talking about for years, it's only been the last couple of years I decided to try to find the statistics on it as well as other form factors. Anecdotal evidence is too inaccurate.
This is really good insight Light....makes it a lot easier to ignore this angle if certain other elements don't fit.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: