Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #406
burnsy
self medicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity
maybe we should let flacco have ONE season where he throws for 30+ touchdowns OR breaks 4000 yards (yes, either one) before we talk about him in the same breath as peyton manning?
You are caught up on stats, which a lot of people equate with winning. Flacco is a winner. Winning gambling and winning football games are different from stats. That's the difference between fans and gamblers. I've made a lot off of Denver but if you want to bet them after December.....good luck to you. Frankly, I don't even think much about that stuff when I bet. Colin pointed this out too.....who gives a crap about September and October...Its after Thanksgiving that counts and face it, Peyton Manning has lost many a big game.....even with his "lofty stats" when he was prime. That's why these knuckle heads demean Russell Wilson...he'll never have those numbers but made Peyton look like a Pop Warner QB when they faced off. What games are you watching? He looked God awful last year at times, I could care less if he threw for 5000 which by the way will probably be half of that this year. You are run by emotions and coughing up stats, today, right now (physically) he's in the bottom rung of QB's and his football smarts are the only thing keeping him afloat. They were talking today, right now, not years ago.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 10:25 AM   #407
pandy

If I were a GM and I had to chose between Manning and Flacco now, sure I'd take Flacco because of his age, but Manning throughout most of his career was sensational. Most top QBs are efficient, not sensational. In my opinion, only Dan Marino and Manning were super-players at the position, because they could complete passes with pinpoint precision to receivers that were well covered and no other QBs in history could do that with the consistency they had. And they both won a high percentage of games even though they rarely had a good defense to support them.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 AM   #408
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
You are caught up on stats, which a lot of people equate with winning. Flacco is a winner. Winning gambling and winning football games are different from stats. That's the difference between fans and gamblers. I've made a lot off of Denver but if you want to bet them after December.....good luck to you. Frankly, I don't even think much about that stuff when I bet. Colin pointed this out too.....who gives a crap about September and October...Its after Thanksgiving that counts and face it, Peyton Manning has lost many a big game.....even with his "lofty stats" when he was prime. That's why these knuckle heads demean Russell Wilson...he'll never have those numbers but made Peyton look like a Pop Warner QB when they faced off. What games are you watching? He looked God awful last year at times, I could care less if he threw for 5000 which by the way will probably be half of that this year. You are run by emotions and coughing up stats, today, right now (physically) he's in the bottom rung of QB's and his football smarts are the only thing keeping him afloat. They were talking today, right now, not years ago.

Winners, as you say, tend to be the guys who are on the best teams. Russell Wilson is not anymore of a Winner than Peyton Manning, or many others, he's just fortunate to play on a team with a sensational defense. If Russell Wilson was quarterbacking on some of those Colts teams that Peyton played for they would have been lucky to break :500. Manning carried that team on his back.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-24-2015, 10:49 AM   #409
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnsy
You are run by emotions and coughing up stats, today, right now (physically) he's in the bottom rung of QB's and his football smarts are the only thing keeping him afloat. They were talking today, right now, not years ago.
i'm not run by emotions, but something called body of work rather than individual cherry picked games. and although I certainly do think his overall body of work shows he has tremendous "football smarts" it was HIS own ridiculous game plan of attempting to attack the strength of the colts defense (the two excellent cover corners) rather than the middle of the defense and the weak colts linebackers that is most responsible for costing Denver the win.

if we're going to cherry pick random games, his offense at least averaged 21 1/2 first downs a game against the colts. Baltimore only got 15 when we basically toyed with them.

to me though it's an issue of respect. say you have 16 years of winning $1000+ a year at the track and another player (finally) got to within $14 of even last year in his 6th year of handicapping. he might be an up and coming star (?) but I would NEVER talk about that player in the same breath as burnsy when discussing GREAT handicappers. jmo.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 03:18 PM   #410
Secondbest

Well its looks Flacco won't be Baltimore anymore. He's being traded to Denver.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #411
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondbest View Post
Well its looks Flacco won't be Baltimore anymore. He's being traded to Denver.
Flacco has a an energy and motivation problem if you ask me.

That won't change in the Rockies
Old 02-13-2019, 11:08 PM   #412
NJ Stinks

Say it ain't so, Joe.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:16 PM   #413
jocko699
Resurrectionist

My 2-cents is that Joe is a Super Bowl winner and brings class similar to graded stakes winners. I believe he will fit very well with Denver.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #414
Secondbest

Denver giving up a 3rd or 4th rounder. Not a bad trade for Denver.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #415
headhawg
crusty old guy

Not a bad trade? The former SB MVP has been in decline for years. He's 34, and his best years are behind him. Elway has no clue about quarterbacks, and I mean NONE!. Let's see now...there's been Brock Osweiler, Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch, and Case Keenum, Elway's most recent QB disaster who is still going to get paid, Flacco deal or not. Elway is a perfect example of a great player who doesn't make a good -- or even decent -- pro sports executive.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:10 PM   #416
Secondbest

It's worth a shot considering the mid round pick and the current QB. Not much too lose. If it doesn't work they'll cut him.
Old 02-14-2019, 12:49 PM   #417
headhawg
crusty old guy

Easy for you to spend money frivolously. You can't just sign players to contracts which are partially guaranteed. You will lose the contract dough and take a salary cap hit. This ain't fantasy football. I predict that this is Elway's last season unless by some miracle Flacco works out, Elway makes a good move or two, and the Broncos somehow make the playoffs.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #418
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Easy for you to spend money frivolously. You can't just sign players to contracts which are partially guaranteed. You will lose the contract dough and take a salary cap hit. This ain't fantasy football. I predict that this is Elway's last season unless by some miracle Flacco works out, Elway makes a good move or two, and the Broncos somehow make the playoffs.
Elway's record after being GM for 8 years:

1. Overall record: 78-50
2. Playoff games record: 6-4
3. Super Bowl appearances: 2
4. Super Bowl wins: 1

I don't know how many teams besides NE and Seattle fared better in the last 8 years.

Link - open and scroll down:
https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/ElwaJo0.htm
Old 02-14-2019, 07:22 PM   #419
headhawg
crusty old guy

He inherited most of the roster when they made the playoffs. And it's amazing what Peyton Manning will do for a team. After he retired the Broncos haven't been much. What else ya got?
Old 02-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #420
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
He inherited most of the roster when they made the playoffs. And it's amazing what Peyton Manning will do for a team. After he retired the Broncos haven't been much. What else ya got?
That was my best shot.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: