Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-04-2017, 10:47 AM   #316
Track Phantom

What would be very illuminating is if someone can compare how many horses each trainer has in training at Santa Anita vs how many they've entered. It would be interesting to know which trainers are not entering horses that fit conditions. To me, this is the root of the issue in So. Cal.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #317
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
What would be very illuminating is if someone can compare how many horses each trainer has in training at Santa Anita vs how many they've entered. It would be interesting to know which trainers are not entering horses that fit conditions. To me, this is the root of the issue in So. Cal.
Also for me, it would be more interesting to find out .... Why they are not entering horses that fit the conditions?

Do they all have some type of injury?

Because I've always felt that most (not all) horses have something physical or mentally wrong with them.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 03:44 PM   #318
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #319
Andy Asaro

Old 06-04-2017, 04:05 PM   #320
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Track Phantom View Post
You're getting warm. Fast.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 04:20 PM   #321
Andy Asaro

Couldn't post them without the one tweet repeating. Sorry.

Last edited by Andy Asaro; 06-04-2017 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #322
oughtoh

Alot of the horses are not racing waiting for Del Mar to start. That is the way it is every year.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 04:49 PM   #323
GMB@BP

Those are very interesting comments.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #324
Andy Asaro

This was the projection from SB1072 when they raised the takeout for Customer subsidized purse welfare.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #325
Andy Asaro

Ritvo just gave a good interview on TVG and said all the right things. Now the hard part........ doing the right things.

Got this from a well known Owner on my email list for what it's worth. This is a very smart guy/gal.

How to fix this: 1.0 The basic problem is the minimum purses are too low. Any horse that runs at least third once a month will earn $3,600 if the minimum purse is $30,000. That would at least pay the monthly bills for the horse. For any purse less than $30,000 all horses racing in those races are GUARANTEED losers for the month unless they win or finish second. How many owners can keep horses in California knowing they are guaranteed to lose money every month. 2.) The vacant parking lot north of Santa Anita should be turned into a stabling area and housing for backstretch workers. ( before it becomes a hospital parking lot) 3.) As a temporary solution Adena Springs should ship a hundred or more of their horses here now. ( It's Frank's venue and the value of the venue will only increase if the quality and quantity of racing improves. ) Horses will flock here if the minimum purse is at least $30,000. Either Frank needs to seed the purse pool or a serious re-distribution of purse money has to happen and soon...............or The Great Race Place will soon be home to office buildings.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:10 PM   #326
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
Ritvo just gave a good interview on TVG and said all the right things. Now the hard part........ doing the right things.

Got this from a well known Owner on my email list for what it's worth. This is a very smart guy/gal.

How to fix this: 1.0 The basic problem is the minimum purses are too low. Any horse that runs at least third once a month will earn $3,600 if the minimum purse is $30,000. That would at least pay the monthly bills for the horse. For any purse less than $30,000 all horses racing in those races are GUARANTEED losers for the month unless they win or finish second. How many owners can keep horses in California knowing they are guaranteed to lose money every month. 2.) The vacant parking lot north of Santa Anita should be turned into a stabling area and housing for backstretch workers. ( before it becomes a hospital parking lot) 3.) As a temporary solution Adena Springs should ship a hundred or more of their horses here now. ( It's Frank's venue and the value of the venue will only increase if the quality and quantity of racing improves. ) Horses will flock here if the minimum purse is at least $30,000. Either Frank needs to seed the purse pool or a serious re-distribution of purse money has to happen and soon...............or The Great Race Place will soon be home to office buildings.
They ran 9 races today and only 2 races had a purse less then 29k....I dont understand, in a larger picture, the comment about the min purses.

Now I would agree that the economic dynamics in socal make it more difficult to pay the bills.

I see tons of short fields, feels like an industry wide epidemic.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 08:35 PM   #327
oughtoh

When Del Mar starts most of fields will be bigger. Alot of the owners want winner circle pictues at Del Mar and will drop their horses in value to try and get one. They also offer out of state owners an incentive.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #328
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Problem is you can't have 30k purses for 8 and 10k claimers. That is just asking for big trouble.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2017, 09:30 PM   #329
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Problem is you can't have 30k purses for 8 and 10k claimers. That is just asking for big trouble.
The person who wrote it is pretty sharp and knows a lot about ca. racing. But, I suspect we'll hear about some changes by Thursday. Maybe Wednesday.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #330
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
The person who wrote it is pretty sharp and knows a lot about ca. racing. But, I suspect we'll hear about some changes by Thursday. Maybe Wednesday.
I'm sure he is sharp, but we already know what happens when you inflate purses for cheap claimers and it isn't pretty.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: