Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-22-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
Teach

My Grandfather Was Picked Up As A "Wetback".

“I’m not a ‘wetback,’” my grandfather said. “I’ve never been to Mexico in my life,” he continued.

It was the Eisenhower years. My grandfather had traveled from Syracuse, NY to Houston, TX to visit his youngest son, my Uncle Louis.

As my uncle tells it, his father (my grandpa was a swarthy man) was up early one morning to have some breakfast at a local diner. After breakfast, as my grandfather headed back to his son’s house, he was picked up by immigration enforcement agents (The Eisenhower Administration had just started “Operation Wetback”).

Well, according to my uncle, agents took my grandpa to their headquarters in downtown Houston; they began interrogating him. Although my grandfather’s English was never crisp, he tried his best to explain to authorities that he hadn’t crossed into the United States from Mexico.

In the end, my grandpa called his son (my uncle) and told him where he was. My uncle came down to immigration headquarters and explained to authorities that the man they had in custody was a naturalized U.S. citizen who had never lived in nor visited Mexico. The thought of my grandfather, at the time past his 60th birthday, swimming across the Rio Grande was quite frankly, ludicrous. My grandfather was such a frail man that a strong gust of wind would literally blow him over.

Finally, after its implementation, “Operation Wetback” gave rise to arrests and deportations by the U.S. Border Patrol that were civil rights violations, which resulted in several hundred United States citizens being illegally deported without being given a chance to prove their citizenship.

As for my grandfather, he made his way back to Syracuse, NY. When I saw him a few months later, he said, “They should have known (immigration authorities), I can’t speak a word of Spanish.”

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2017, 07:27 AM   #2
RunForTheRoses

http://dailycaller.com/2017/02/20/fa...-is-president/

http://www.hillarybeattrump.org/
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
davew

It is much easier now for people from all over the world and get in legally with a student visa, and then stay to become an illegal, no need to swim across an ocean or river...
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #4
TJDave

This sounds like a bad title to a country/western song.

Grandma and reindeer come to mind.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:54 PM   #5
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
It is much easier now for people from all over the world and get in legally with a student visa, and then stay to become an illegal, no need to swim across an ocean or river...
I don't know the details but if a foreign student with a visa can get a Ph.D. in certain fields (science/engineering) they can legally stay forever. The government seems to think that not many Americans will study that hard.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
“I’m not a ‘wetback,’” my grandfather said. “I’ve never been to Mexico in my life,” he continued.

It was the Eisenhower years. My grandfather had traveled from Syracuse, NY to Houston, TX to visit his youngest son, my Uncle Louis.

As my uncle tells it, his father (my grandpa was a swarthy man) was up early one morning to have some breakfast at a local diner. After breakfast, as my grandfather headed back to his son’s house, he was picked up by immigration enforcement agents (The Eisenhower Administration had just started “Operation Wetback”).

Well, according to my uncle, agents took my grandpa to their headquarters in downtown Houston; they began interrogating him. Although my grandfather’s English was never crisp, he tried his best to explain to authorities that he hadn’t crossed into the United States from Mexico.

In the end, my grandpa called his son (my uncle) and told him where he was. My uncle came down to immigration headquarters and explained to authorities that the man they had in custody was a naturalized U.S. citizen who had never lived in nor visited Mexico. The thought of my grandfather, at the time past his 60th birthday, swimming across the Rio Grande was quite frankly, ludicrous. My grandfather was such a frail man that a strong gust of wind would literally blow him over.

Finally, after its implementation, “Operation Wetback” gave rise to arrests and deportations by the U.S. Border Patrol that were civil rights violations, which resulted in several hundred United States citizens being illegally deported without being given a chance to prove their citizenship.

As for my grandfather, he made his way back to Syracuse, NY. When I saw him a few months later, he said, “They should have known (immigration authorities), I can’t speak a word of Spanish.”
This tale reeks of BS. I call.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2017, 03:37 PM   #7
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I don't know the details but if a foreign student with a visa can get a Ph.D. in certain fields (science/engineering) they can legally stay forever. The government seems to think that not many Americans will study that hard.
Educate yourself. Learn where the U.S. ranks in math and science, thanks to dumb-down policies of most public schools.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:58 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Sounds like a racist to me.
All your relatives talk like that?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:41 PM   #9
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:

Lesson learned. Next time, towel off.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-22-2017, 11:17 PM   #10
ElKabong

Who is more butt hurt? Psychotic Trump haters, or Falcon fans and Tom Brady haters? They all seem to post some weird shit the past couple of weeks
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2017, 12:37 AM   #11
Fager Fan
Veteran

Where did ol' Grandpa immigrate from?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2017, 05:13 PM   #12
highnote

Good story. It just shows how much ignorance there is in the world.

Remember Keith Hernandez of the New York Yankees?

He was doing a TV show in NYC for a Spanish TV station. During the commercial break, the host of the show asked him to say something in Spanish to the audience. He turned to the host and said, "I don't speak Spanish."

Quote:

highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2017, 05:42 PM   #13
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Good story. It just shows how much ignorance there is in the world.

He was doing a TV show in NYC for a Spanish TV station. During the commercial break, the host of the show asked him to say something in Spanish to the audience. He turned to the host and said, "I don't speak Spanish."
That's not ignorance. That's just a wrong assumption.

Teach, are you going to answer my question?
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #14
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Speaking of ignorance, I'm not sure the Yankee fans or the Mets fans would be more irritated about placing Hernandez on the Yankees. He played for the Cardinals and the Mets, and even played a few games for the Indians, but he wasn't a Yankee.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #15
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
That's not ignorance. That's just a wrong assumption.
Definition of "ignorance": lack of knowledge or information.

Last edited by highnote; 02-23-2017 at 10:03 PM.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply