Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 09-18-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
Sir Barton

Clocker Reports Advice

I am having the best gambling year of my life. I thought when I reached this level of success I would be more consistent day to day and week to week. I am a win and pick x player, another tool I would like to add to my handicapping is work out reports. On Derby weekend there was a filly who out worked the Ill fated Danzig Moon prepping for her race, it seemed after the race many players knew this information except me as all my pick x bets came to a screeching halt Is this type of information available in workout reports. On Travers day I heard some clockers were really impressed with Private Zone a horse I loved in that spot, even though he was the favorite it helped my wagering and bet structuring knowing the horse was doing great leading up to the race. My question is for those of you who have used clocker reports who gives you the most bang for your buck. I play mostly Ny, Ky, and Fl tracks but almost all contests end at the So Cal tracks. Does anyone offer all these circuits for one subscription or should I pick a different individual on each circuit.
Sir Barton is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2015, 06:06 AM   #2
Capper Al

Can't help you on this one, but will be watching what others have to say. I was told the workout info in the past performances are low quality info because the clockers want money by from selling their reports. This might be an interesting thread.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #3
lamboguy

there are lots of clocker reports that i have looked at. i like clocking my own horse and have some friends that clock horses and record the times for equibase and the racing that are real good at it by now,

of the reports that i have looked at through the years, most of them assign letter grades to the works. i like the guys that tell you that the horse worked with a graded stakes winner or a 3 year old allowance winner and the baby stayed with that horse or didn't get beat that bad.

but still like everything else, those clocker reports are strictly opinions. for whatever reason i think that Bruno Dejuilio does a real good job all over the place. i have never followed him, just have seen the way he does things and can't say anything bad.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

If you are doing well dont pick and choose, get every clocker report that's available and make your own decision.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
Capper Al

My problem is that I pay for data files and want to leave my cost at that. I'm not seeing added value in the additional expenses of buying clocker reports or special pedigreed reports or special pace and speed figures etc. On the other hand, I knew a handicapper that swore by clocker reports for special event days like the Breeders' cup or Derby.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Old 09-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #6
Sir Barton

I am with you lamboguy who worked with a really good horse and how did they look would be great info, I just don't Know any clockers. I am looking for information that fills in holes in my handicapping process. The better my handicapping becomes the easier it becomes to look at races or bets I lost and see what I may have missed. There has to be a balance of gathering information and time to sift through what you have gathered.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #7
Sir Barton

The truth is I don't even know everything that is out there. I know about Drf clockers report, Bruno, National Turf, I have heard John Nichols on Steve Byk but do not know if he sells reports or if any other track clockers sell reports.
Which ever service I pick will be integrated to my process and be evaluated over a period of time so doing many at one time is not an option.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
RunDustyRun

For So Cal racing, handicapper's report is decent...have never bought their full reports but have used them occsionally when looking at MSW races...found that they have some useful info, including who the horses work with and if they have a notable jock on them
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #9
Sir Barton

Hi Al, I am beginning to wonder how much not having them is costing me? I will have to work with them a while before I have an idea of their value to me. I hope they are a small but missing piece of my process.
Old 09-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #10
Capper Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Barton
Hi Al, I am beginning to wonder how much not having them is costing me? I will have to work with them a while before I have an idea of their value to me. I hope they are a small but missing piece of my process.
Please post your findings. It's always something that I wondered about.

Thanks

Anatole France

Old 09-18-2015, 08:44 PM   #11
sammy the sage

well ALL the clockers said UPSTART before the Traver's was working AWESOME....didn't pan out so well...I actually skipped...thought that AP would get beat ...but didn't know who...our host here...called it RIGHT...

but yeah...clocker's to me...mostly good w/younger...often misfigure older...or out and lie....like when a horse loses MUCHO weight...but they don't mention that IN REPORTS but tell other's on THE side....won't mention ANY names....but it IS what is...
Old 09-19-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
NY BRED
GARY

clocker reports

question of transparency and accuracy has always been the issue
on actual work and actual tbred working.

that said, a great work (actual time/actual horse) doen't
signal the horse's chances of hitting the board.

I've become more attuned to judging the spacing of works
rather than actual time.
NY BRED is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
Moto Pete

I find I get more benefit from negative comments from clockers. The other day a horse I had as a possible key turned in to a throwout after I read a report on him. A lot of horses look good in the morning but run like a mule in the afternoon. More often a horse that looks poor in the morning will run to that.

Bruno seems better on the east coast. Harrington in the west.
Moto Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 01:05 PM   #14
cbp
Veteran

Wasted money. The only real value is in first time starters and, possibly, layoffs. Why pay money for someone else's opinion when I can watch a replay and SEE the horse's condition. I don't need to play every race.
cbp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
ronsmac

I haven't used clocker reports since I stopped betting so cal. I have noticed a significant price increase since I was using them. From 01- 05 they were worth every penny and pretty affordable. During the synthetic era, they were a complete waste of money in my opinion. Now that Socal is back to dirt, I'm sure they are better predicting fts and layoff horses , but they've become so common I'm not sure there's any value and they're priced too high.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply