Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-16-2021, 02:27 PM   #196
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Skin color aside, you sound just like BLM.
I have ZERO problems with the deaths of the two guys by Rittenhouse or the shooting of the third. The world needs fewer of their kind. If that makes me like BLM, then okay.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #197
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
I have ZERO problems with the deaths of the two guys by Rittenhouse or the shooting of the third. The world needs fewer of their kind. If that makes me like BLM, then okay.
It does.
Sad.

xtb's whole post was void of facts and full of personal opinion.
I agree with most of it, the lie about crossing state lines, etc, but that is CNN thinking. I agree the world is better off without those two, but do we now two standards of justice, one people we don't like?

Look only at the facts, forget all the media chest pounding, consider only what has been proven to be true, not scum bag lawyers on either side you.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:47 PM   #198
xtb

A black lady called me a n****r one time because I wouldn’t give her money when she was panhandling. She then threatened to “cut” me when I laughed. I never thought I would be called something more absurd, until today.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2021, 03:10 PM   #199
tucker6

Quote:
It does.
Sad.
The difference is that I am not asking you or anyone else to adhere to my views on any subject. They do.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #200
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
A black lady called me a n****r one time because I wouldn’t give her money when she was panhandling. She then threatened to “cut” me when I laughed. I never thought I would be called something more absurd, until today.
My wife was called a white ass cracker two weeks ago.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:17 PM   #201
MargieRose

Defense Delivers A Disappointingly Weak Closing Argument

Quote:
This is an unpleasant task because on the legal merits Kyle Rittenhouse ought to be acquitted by a unanimous jury on every one of the five felony accounts against him, with the State having failed to prove provocation beyond a reasonable doubt and having failed to have disproven self-defense beyond a reasonable doubt.

And that may still happen. I hope it does. He deserves those acquittals.

That said, I’m well aware that sometimes defendants who deserve acquittal end up getting convicted, regardless. There might be many reasons that could occur. One of those reasons is a weak legal defense, and particularly a weak defense in the critical closing argument, the last opportunity the defense team has to plead their narrative of innocence to the jury.

If the legal defense effort, particularly the closing argument, is as close to perfect as a skilled attorney can hope to deliver and the client gets convicted regardless—well, at least from my perspective as a lawyer, at least I know I did the best I could, and it didn’t go sideways because I could have done more.

When an effort far short of perfect is delivered, again particularly in closing argument, and the client deserving of acquittal gets convicted, then one is always left to wonder whether a better closing argument might have made the difference, whether if more had been done the client would be free today.

Kyle Rittenhouse deserved a better closing argument than he got today, and if he’s convicted on any of these charges I would find it hard to not attribute such an injustice to much of anything except today’s weak closing argument by his Attorney Mark Richards (well, excepting, of course, for the politically-motivated prosecution itself, but that’s precisely what the defense is supposed to stop).

The weaknesses in the defense closing argument really fall into two broad categories, with a bit of overlap. [...]
MargieRose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2021, 03:18 PM   #202
xtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtb View Post
The crowd was after him before he shot the 5x child rapist when they realized he was not one of them. If Kyle did not shoot the POS, he would certainly be dead or maimed.
The sheriff met with him earlier in the day and knew what his intentions were in protecting the car dealership, but did not tell him he could not.
Kyle was not too young to own a gun, the gun charges were thrown out.

While Kyle Rittenhouse was from "out of state", he was only 20 miles away. His father, grandmother and brother lived in Kenosha and he often stayed with them. He worked in Kenosha as a lifeguard. He spent the afternoon cleaning graffiti from the BLM/antifa animals. The BLM/antifa animals came from 44 different states, they were the ones who had no business being there. This was Kyle Rittenhouse's home and he wanted to do something to help. He had a medical kit that night to help people. Yes, it was dumb to take this on himself, he should have had at least one armed partner and probably a shorter barrel, although the shorter barrel is what saved him from the gun charges.
Last line should have read “not having a shorter barrel saved him from the gun charges”.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #203
MargieRose

Quote:
I am basing it on the video and the testimony.
The video (the zoomed, blurred one; if that's the one you are referring to) is what the prosecutors are banking on to prove PROVOCATION.
Old 11-16-2021, 03:54 PM   #204
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargieRose View Post
The video (the zoomed, blurred one; if that's the one you are referring to) is what the prosecutors are banking on to prove PROVOCATION.
There is a lot of video that is very clear.
And isn't his pointing a gun at someone provocation?
Old 11-16-2021, 04:47 PM   #205
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I would make one comment/caution

The people on this Jury are the same people who tolerated these riots. They have yet to stand up and raise hell about it.

That would worry me if I was for the defense
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2021, 05:03 PM   #206
MargieRose

Quote:
There is a lot of video that is very clear.
And isn't his pointing a gun at someone provocation?
Is it in the blurred video that you are assuming he was pointing his gun at someone unprovoked, to begin with? The prosecutors are.

Lots of people, including seasoned attorneys, don't see it that way. The clear videos, where he WAS pointing his gun at someone, absolutely show that he was doing so in self-defense...nothing less.

Regardless, the burden of proof "beyond a reasonable doubt" (i.e. no doubt) has not been met, IMO. If it were, there would not be so many differing opinions; most of them weighted in self-defense. Consider the source, as well, of most of the people declaring otherwise.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:51 PM   #207
garyscpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I would make one comment/caution

The people on this Jury are the same people who tolerated these riots. They have yet to stand up and raise hell about it.

That would worry me if I was for the defense
And they might be afraid of what will happen if they acquit.
garyscpa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2021, 07:56 PM   #208
MargieRose

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
This is something that a called-upon juror should reveal during jury selection. If enough people expressed this concern, a new venue would likely be required. As it stands, these jurors will have to decide whether to live with THEIR guilty conscience or to live with their fears in the obligated pursuit of justice.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #209
davew

the prosecutors are so bad they lied about the gun charge, the judge had to drop it. The also showed pictures saying what could not be determined from picture.
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-16-2021, 08:07 PM   #210
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyscpa View Post
They should be more worried about what happens if they find him guilty.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply