Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-29-2021, 08:30 PM   #1
FakeNameChanged

Hank Aaron Tribute

Seems only fitting that Atlanta honors Hank in the world series home opener tonight. Forty-seven summers ago, I took my 7 months pregnant wife to see Hank's last appearance against the Phillies.

Before that game, Hank took batting practice against three pitchers from the 1950 Whiz kids, Curt Simmons, Robin Roberts(HOF), and Bobby Shantz. Somewhere in my basement, I have pics of the ball coming off his bat against these guys. He had a good record against Robin and took him deep a couple of times. I don't remember for sure, but think he also got Curt for one or two. Bobby was a nemesis of Hank's while playing, and Hank could only muster a few line-drives off of him.

These three pitchers were good friends of my BIL, and played at North HIlls CC where he was the club pro for 40 years. I met Curt and Bobby, but never Robin. Surprisingly, both Curt and Bobby are still around at 92 and 96.
Old 10-29-2021, 10:17 PM   #2
ranchwest

Good memories.

I was in the Astrodome when Hank was going for 715. Of course, he didn't hit it until they returned to Atlanta.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

All time career home run leader in my book. Think how many he would of hit if he cheated like Barry Bonds.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply