Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 09-02-2015, 09:56 PM   #1
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

Little Brown Jug

Didn't realize that this was September 24. I am on vacation during this time and was planning a road trip to Indiana Grand and Belterra Park (never been to these two) and can easily fit in the Little Brown Jug. Hotels are available around Columbus, but I didn't know about tickets, parking, etc. I went to the website and got some ideas but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone around here has personal experience being there and could give me some tips or pointers. Can anyone help?
Old 09-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #2
Yaph

Tickets:
Wednesday for the Jugette we like to do just general admission to the grand stand. 5$ last year if I remember correctly. We grab one of the stacked chairs and sit right down of the fence.
Thursday I would recommend something other than ground chairs so you have a good view depending on what tickets are available. We like the west Platform chairs as it's a good view and easy get to the betting windows. If your in the grandstand the betting lines can get a little long under the grandstand.

Hotel:
We stay in Marysville. That makes it an easy 30 min drive up route 36 to get to the fairgrounds. Never came in off of route 23.

Tips:
We always get there early and eat breakfast at the student run dinner by the coliseum. Then you can take a walk around the backstretch. There are special barns for the jug horses you can walk through.

After the jug we stay and get some fair food for dinner and by that time all the traffic is gone and it's an easy drive out.
Yaph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 02:14 AM   #3
FrankieFigs
The 19th Hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaph
Tickets:
Wednesday for the Jugette we like to do just general admission to the grand stand. 5$ last year if I remember correctly. We grab one of the stacked chairs and sit right down of the fence.
Thursday I would recommend something other than ground chairs so you have a good view depending on what tickets are available. We like the west Platform chairs as it's a good view and easy get to the betting windows. If your in the grandstand the betting lines can get a little long under the grandstand.

Hotel:
We stay in Marysville. That makes it an easy 30 min drive up route 36 to get to the fairgrounds. Never came in off of route 23.

Tips:
We always get there early and eat breakfast at the student run dinner by the coliseum. Then you can take a walk around the backstretch. There are special barns for the jug horses you can walk through.

After the jug we stay and get some fair food for dinner and by that time all the traffic is gone and it's an easy drive out.
Good tips Yaph. I appreciate all the help I can get

If it is too late and seats are sold out, would it still be worth wandering around with a general admission ticket?

And how early do you get there?

Last edited by FrankieFigs; 09-04-2015 at 02:24 AM.
FrankieFigs is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 08:43 AM   #4
MutuelClerk

I've been to a lot of Jugs, I stay in Marion. There's a church across the street with reasonable parking. If you can get tickets in advance it's usually better. People walk around selling them. I think Wednesday Jugette Day is the very best. not so many people and quality racing. Jug Day is pretty packed. I'm going down Tuesday this year. Enjoy Frankie it's lots of fun.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #5
Yaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieFigs
Good tips Yaph. I appreciate all the help I can get

If it is too late and seats are sold out, would it still be worth wandering around with a general admission ticket?

And how early do you get there?
There are not to many places to stand out of the way. I would be surprised if the Stadium seats are sold out. There are also plenty of TV's under the grandstand unless it's raining they it will be packed under there.

We usually get there by 8:30am. Gives time to eat breakfast, walk thru the Jug barns and make a pass thru handicapping the races before they start.
Yaph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 05:37 PM   #6
trp

I've been to several LBJs. My first one was 1988 (BJ Scoot won).

I've stayed in Marysville a few times and it's a good choice. I've stayed in Dublin and northern Columbus as well.

Parking on Jug Day is $5 per car.

Post time on Jug Day is 11:00 and there are usually 20+ races.

The first time we went, we didn't get seats and just walked around. It was a long day.

The next year we tried the stadium seats. The downside is that stadium seats are in the direct sun (if it's sunny) and it's not uncommon for the weather to be hot.

After that we always sat in the covered grandstand. My wife lucked into very good seats aligned right on the finish line, an aisle seat and the seat next to it, and we get the same two seats every year. The Fair sends an order form for the seats in the Spring and we pay then and the tickets are mailed to us around Labor Day. (We just got this year's tickets today.)

The biggest negative is that they are bench seats with no back. Several hours of sitting makes a one of those canvas (?) seat backs that you put on the seat mandatory for me. It's also fairly close quarters - the spots are smallish.

I haven't been able to attend the last few years because of work, so I sold the tickets on eBay. I'm retired now, but I can't go this year because of another conflict. I'll be putting the tickets up for sale on eBay sometime this weekend.
trp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-04-2015, 08:30 PM   #7
MutuelClerk

If you get inside the grandstand on Jug Day, eventually sit in one of the field chairs on the apron. No one checks for a ticket. They never sell out.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:24 PM   #8
RaceTrackDaddy

We used to stay on Rt 161 between Rt 23 to the west and Interstate 71 just to the east by about a city block. Easy trip north either route.

We at times found that if you wanted to beat the traffic, use the people's front yards on Philadelphia Ave (the road outside of the Jug) cost back then about 10 bucks but it is an easy trip home. Trying to get out of that parking lot is impossible and might take more than a half hour to get out of that place.

I preferred to just sit out on the backside watching the races over being on the grandstand side of the track. Monitors are at all the mutual buildings there and many food stands if one is hungry.

If you see someone you know on the backside on Jugette Day that has horses entered, you may ask them to get you a groom's pass that will give you free access on Jug Day. Or if you run into a friend that happens to be on the Hambo Society or part of the Jug staff, ask for a pin for the Press. I scanned a couple I still have in my collection and attached as a jpg.

Have a great time!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (60.7 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by RaceTrackDaddy; 09-11-2015 at 02:26 PM.
RaceTrackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-11-2015, 02:29 PM   #9
RaceTrackDaddy

Forgot to mention in years prior to their selling alcohol on the grandstand side, one could bring their own libations on ice anywhere on the track but now one is restricted to the backside if one desires to bring their cooler of food and drinks.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #10
BetPTC

$25 Extra bonus on top of the usual signup bonus if you enter code "PACE-LBJ" upon joining www.betptc.com
U.S. licensed and regulated in the state of Oregon
Over $300 Million in wagers handled since 2007
Online and phone wagering on over 180 tracks
1-877-880-0588

The only ADW offering same-day, instant cash back on wagers.
BetPTC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #11
MutuelClerk

Need to get away. I'm going four days this year.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:02 PM   #12
ultracapper

TVG is offering futures bets on this race. Don't know much about the game myself, but I know "Hanover" means something significant, so I put $2 on both the Hanover named entries.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2015, 12:13 AM   #13
RaceTrackDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetPTC
$25 Extra bonus on top of the usual signup bonus if you enter code "PACE-LBJ" upon joining www.betptc.com
Funny that those that live in PA are not eligible to join your service when other ADW's like Twin Spires do accept PA residents.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:19 AM   #14
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTrackDaddy
Funny that those that live in PA are not eligible to join your service when other ADW's like Twin Spires do accept PA residents.

Twinspires doesn't give you rebates so they can afford to take PA residents. BET PTC used to take PA customers until Pennsylvania starting charging ADW's 10%.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2015, 02:28 PM   #15
BetPTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy
Twinspires doesn't give you rebates so they can afford to take PA residents. BET PTC used to take PA customers until Pennsylvania starting charging ADW's 10%.
Exactly. Thank you Pandy.
U.S. licensed and regulated in the state of Oregon
Over $300 Million in wagers handled since 2007
Online and phone wagering on over 180 tracks
1-877-880-0588

The only ADW offering same-day, instant cash back on wagers.
BetPTC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply