Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #1
Ocala Mike

Vaccine Clinical Trial

I registered for the Novavax clinical trial to be conducted nationwide. The local facility conducting it is in Gainesville, 35 miles away. I find out soon if I will be selected to participate and be given an appointment.

They need 30,000 people nationwide and will be following the people for 2 years. Unlike most trials which split the subjects halfway, vaccine to placebo, this one will have a ratio of 2/1, vaccine to placebo.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2020, 07:50 PM   #2
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Not sure why anyone would sign up to be a guinea pig at this point.

First off, if you're not in a high risk group, you really have nothing to worry about with COVID.

If you are in a high risk group, you're probably safer hiding out in your house then you are signing up for a clinical trial vaccine.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:01 PM   #3
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

You won't know if you've gotten the placebo until the end. You probably won't be allowed to get the FDA approved vaccine until the 2 years is up.
Good luck!
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2020, 09:47 PM   #4
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
You won't know if you've gotten the placebo until the end. You probably won't be allowed to get the FDA approved vaccine until the 2 years is up.
Good luck!
I would think that if you had the opportunity to get a competing vaccination they would have to tell you. No way they could prevent your opting out.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:00 PM   #5
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
I would think that if you had the opportunity to get a competing vaccination they would have to tell you. No way they could prevent your opting out.
even if they were paying you and you signed a contract?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2020, 01:37 AM   #6
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
even if they were paying you and you signed a contract?
Yes. Even then.
Old 12-29-2020, 06:00 AM   #7
Ocala Mike

It is a bit of a dilemma, as I also registered with my county to receive a Moderna vaccination when available. They are registering people 65 and over now (I am 79), but who knows when the vaccine becomes available - maybe spring.

They may not select me for the trial because although I'm high-risk age wise, my ethnicity and the fact that I live in a rural area where I am not interacting too much with many people (like in a school, business, or other setting) may not be what they're seeking for the trial.

As far as why someone would want to be in a trial? To make America well again, doncha know?
Old 12-29-2020, 06:56 AM   #8
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
It is a bit of a dilemma, as I also registered with my county to receive a Moderna vaccination when available. They are registering people 65 and over now (I am 79), but who knows when the vaccine becomes available - maybe spring.

They may not select me for the trial because although I'm high-risk age wise, my ethnicity and the fact that I live in a rural area where I am not interacting too much with many people (like in a school, business, or other setting) may not be what they're seeking for the trial.

As far as why someone would want to be in a trial? To make America well again, doncha know?
No...it's a cash grab by you...

When you go to blow that $50 you got instead of $1200 or what-ever they seemed to CARROT PROMISE you....OBS there has plenty of Cov people walking around.......so you CAN BE a TRUE guinea pig....
Old 12-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #9
Ocala Mike

Certainly not doing it for the money, and I no longer go to OBS due to a run-in with the current management (although both my wife and I worked there in the past). I bet mostly on-line and sometimes go to OGP (nee Ocala Jai-Alai).

Cash grab - lulz. Like you know me well enough to go there?

As far as grabbing cash, I happen to be a shareholder in NVAX stock, and I did quite well this year as it was the single biggest winner on the NYSE, so I have a stake in the company saving the world.

Last edited by Ocala Mike; 12-29-2020 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-29-2020, 07:54 PM   #10
sammy the sage

Quote:
Certainly not doing it for the money, and I no longer go to OBS due to a run-in with the current management (although both my wife and I worked there in the past). I bet mostly on-line and sometimes go to OGP (nee Ocala Jai-Alai).

As far as grabbing cash, I happen to be a shareholder in NVAX stock, and I did quite well this year as it was the single biggest winner on the NYSE, so I have a stake in the company saving the world.
Please...do tell how much they ACTUALLY pay you for your services........I will certainly admit I was wrong if they give you the full amount....told my father not too....anyways.....best of luck...

Will say...nvax...awesome find/get..

Last edited by sammy the sage; 12-29-2020 at 08:00 PM.
sammy the sage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2020, 08:08 PM   #11
sammy the sage

Quote:

will also agree...THAT management SUCKS....how do you like OGP....was there WAY TOO much in my youth....last time was there...5 yrs....was very dirty and gave me the creeps...???
Old 12-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #12
Ocala Mike

OGP is on the verge of shutdown, I think. Practiacally a tomb with more workers there than patrons some days, but it's pretty convenient for me, just 20 minutes drive on a country road surrounded by horse farms.

Payment for the trial wasn't discussed yet. I was in one up at UF 2-1/2 years ago for something else, but the trial was discontinued after about a month. I think I got mileage plus like $25 a visit. Will let you know.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #13
lamboguy

Quote:
OGP is on the verge of shutdown, I think. Practiacally a tomb with more workers there than patrons some days, but it's pretty convenient for me, just 20 minutes drive on a country road surrounded by horse farms.

Payment for the trial wasn't discussed yet. I was in one up at UF 2-1/2 years ago for something else, but the trial was discontinued after about a month. I think I got mileage plus like $25 a visit. Will let you know.
good luck and thanks going out to you

Last edited by lamboguy; 12-29-2020 at 10:44 PM.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #14
clicknow

Personally, I'd like to thank you for your "service". Volunteerism is all about that.

Without volunteers, we wouldn't even HAVE a vaccine ready yet....90,000 people volunteered to be in the trials for the ones we have now. Clinical trials depend on participants. So does ending the pandemic.

I"ve read the accounts of many people who did volunteer for the BioNtech/Pfizer and Moderna vaccines. They should be thanked for their service, in helping end this pandemic. It is also interesting insight into why they did volunteer to take part in the trails. After reading their accounts it was also interesting to see what kind of philosophy they had in life. Very different than fearful people who tend to see themselves as "guinea pigs".

These volunteers are the kind of people who "step up".

I also want to thank people who sat at sewing machines and made hundreds of masks for their communties and medical facilities early on in the pandemic.....they gave them for free. Not everything has to be turned into an income stream..............I mean, not by everyone anyway.

It's a real shame that any semblence of civic duty seems to have gone away in a large number of the society. Thankfullly there are still people out there willing to give something.

Last edited by clicknow; 12-30-2020 at 08:22 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #15
myohmyjustify

Where is the outrage that we see all these really deplorable but healthy people that are JUMPIMG the vaccine line while worried, everyday citizens go wanting?

Why should Sen. Marco Rubio, Rep. A-O Cortez, a nobody actress Stephanie Elam, Sen. Liz Warren, Sen. Mitt Romney, has-been Oliver Stone and a few other elites gain a medical edge in this crisis??

They jump the line and take advantage of the rest of us because they could, that's why. One more fraud to add that I forgot: according to a really sick Joe Biden, "President" Kamala Harris.

PS--I am not including others we know of such VP Pence, Rep. Pelosi, Dr. Fauci, Joe Biden simply because they are older and in two cases anyway FATTER.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: