Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-10-2021, 06:15 PM   #1
cnollfan

N1X in California

Why are horses in California allowed to run in N1X allowance races after they have won an allowance race?

An example would be Acting Out, running today at Santa Anita (Sunday 1/10/21). She won N1X at Del Mar on Nov. 7, and another N1X at Los Alamitos on Dec. 11.
cnollfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 06:35 PM   #2
ultracapper

LosAl race wasn't an N1X, but a N$Y. Had some other conditions to do with winning some amount of purse money over a designated time.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 07:11 PM   #3
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnollfan View Post
Why are horses in California allowed to run in N1X allowance races after they have won an allowance race?

An example would be Acting Out, running today at Santa Anita (Sunday 1/10/21). She won N1X at Del Mar on Nov. 7, and another N1X at Los Alamitos on Dec. 11.
The conditions of the 2 races at Del Mar and Los Al were more or less identical - the difference - the surface switch.

From a Brad Free DRF article before Acting Out ran at Los Al:

"Acting Out crushed an entry-level allowance turf sprint by more than five lengths last out at Del Mar; she retains N1X eligibility because she is switching surfaces."

I know I had originally thought this was a Cal-bred restricted race thing - that's the way Santa Anita described it in a release. Maybe Los Al opened it up for all horses, not just state-breds?
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-10-2021, 11:13 PM   #4
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
The conditions of the 2 races at Del Mar and Los Al were more or less identical - the difference - the surface switch.

From a Brad Free DRF article before Acting Out ran at Los Al:

"Acting Out crushed an entry-level allowance turf sprint by more than five lengths last out at Del Mar; she retains N1X eligibility because she is switching surfaces."

I know I had originally thought this was a Cal-bred restricted race thing - that's the way Santa Anita described it in a release. Maybe Los Al opened it up for all horses, not just state-breds?
I just learned a couple days ago that they did this surface thing. Some one here explained that to me.

But looking in the DRF pps anyway, the LosAl race was a money/time restricted race.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2021, 01:26 PM   #5
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracapper View Post
I just learned a couple days ago that they did this surface thing. Some one here explained that to me.

But looking in the DRF pps anyway, the LosAl race was a money/time restricted race.
Interesting - here are the Equibase chart headings for the two races - at least in Equibase they were identical, but wouldn't be the first time either "turf authority" had some faulty details:

DEL MAR - November 7, 2020 - Race 8
ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING - Thoroughbred
FOR FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS OLD AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON $15,000 ONCE OTHER THAN MAIDEN, CLAIMING, OR STARTER OR WHICH HAVE NEVER WON TWO RACES OR CLAIMING PRICE $40,000.

LOS ALAMITOS RACE COURSE - December 11, 2020 - Race 7
ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING - Thoroughbred
FOR FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS OLD AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON $15,000 ONCE OTHER THAN MAIDEN, CLAIMING OR STARTER OR WHICH HAVE NEVER WON TWO RACES OR CLAIMING PRICE $40,000.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: