Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-18-2023, 07:08 PM   #16
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I’m not sure about the $5 and $10 win-bettors becoming “increasingly rare”. I’ve noticed that the $100 win-bettors of old are betting $5 and $10 these days…
I know a player who fits that billl-albeit on a slightly larger scale. Once THE biggest bettor in this tri-state area (read that as greater pgh region), he now wagers just 30 or 40 bux per race, even laying to place, rather than win.

A pharmacist by profession, the man can flat-out handicap and has, perhaps unavoidably, developed such an abrasive and acute cynicism as to render him completely unsuitable company for anyone but myself, a fellow wise-ass and his closest friend for more than 40 years. In fact, 15 or so min from now, I will head for mnr's simulcast area to relax, bet ct, and hang out with the only non-relative on earth around whom I can completely drop my guard.

You might be interested to know that he considers most gamblers to be total idiots, regards 35 percent trainers as the game's ruination, and fervently believes that somebody bets after seeing the break.

Last edited by mountainman; 01-18-2023 at 07:19 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2023, 10:02 PM   #17
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I know a player who fits that billl-albeit on a slightly larger scale. Once THE biggest bettor in this tri-state area (read that as greater pgh region), he now wagers just 30 or 40 bux per race, even laying to place, rather than win.

A pharmacist by profession, the man can flat-out handicap and has, perhaps unavoidably, developed such an abrasive and acute cynicism as to render him completely unsuitable company for anyone but myself, a fellow wise-ass and his closest friend for more than 40 years. In fact, 15 or so min from now, I will head for mnr's simulcast area to relax, bet ct, and hang out with the only non-relative on earth around whom I can completely drop my guard.

You might be interested to know that he considers most gamblers to be total idiots, regards 35 percent trainers as the game's ruination, and fervently believes that somebody bets after seeing the break.
If he was a grocer instead of a pharmacist...I would think he was me!
Old 01-19-2023, 07:36 AM   #18
ScottJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
Over 50 years ago while analyzing the betting on several races at AQU, my Calculus professor informed us about the very same "last race" mental betting scenario. While I was able to understand the Math, I completely ignored the most important factor when it comes to the psychological aspects of the betting population. Fortunately, a little over 20 years ago I came across an analysis system that completely relies on betting psychology and how it impacts the results of all races. By monitoring money flow it also conveniently recognizes and discriminates between the various wagering levels during a typical betting cycle.
Throwing deep here given your New York location : Bill Quirin at Adelphi?
ScottJ is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2023, 09:29 AM   #19
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

Mark, if he trusts you, as he should.

Please explain to him that nobody is past posting.

The bots and lack of fiber optics in many spots make it appear so.

But you know different.

Good story. I have a friend in Kansas City.

Greatest handicapper I've ever met. Or maybe I should say greatest horse player.

On huge days we'll discuss our best bets. When we agree those horses tend to be quite live.

But he has a truly uncanny way of maximizing his return.

If we both put $500 into the same race liking the same horse.

He always cashes for more. It's amazing.

He's just one of the ones.
Old 01-19-2023, 04:58 PM   #20
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Throwing deep here given your New York location : Bill Quirin at Adelphi?
No actually it was Professor Schwartz at NY Inst of Tech.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: