Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-18-2022, 12:13 PM   #1
soflant

Twin Trifecta

I am still wondering if the Twin Trifecta bet is sill in existence? I believe to win it the patron must win two trifecta races. If the person wins the first trifecta then he or she must put the money that was won and place it on the second trifecta.
I understand as with any exotic bet the more horses chosen the higher the cost, but how would the cost of this bet be calculated? Could it be said this bet is much harder to hit than the pick 6? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
soflant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2022, 12:31 PM   #2
elhelmete

I haven't seen a twin tri for a LONG time, long before my interest in horse racing expanded beyond Suffolk DOwns and Rockingham Park. I know Suffolk had one back 40 years ago or so. I don't know how long it lasted.

I do recall that it was not a blind bet for both "legs," IIRC you did indeed have to have a winning tri(s) in the first race but I have no memory of how that translated into what your bet could/must be in the second leg.

Last edited by elhelmete; 08-18-2022 at 12:33 PM.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2022, 12:49 PM   #3
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by soflant View Post
I am still wondering if the Twin Trifecta bet is sill in existence? I believe to win it the patron must win two trifecta races. If the person wins the first trifecta then he or she must put the money that was won and place it on the second trifecta.
I understand as with any exotic bet the more horses chosen the higher the cost, but how would the cost of this bet be calculated? Could it be said this bet is much harder to hit than the pick 6? Thanks in advance for any and all help.
The twin trifecta wasn't based on money won on the 1st leg but rather number of times you hit it.

If the base amount was $1 and you hit a $10 tri on the 1st leg you would get 10 tickets into the 2nd leg.

River Downs was the last track to offer the wager iirc.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2022, 01:14 PM   #4
ranchwest

As for strategy, I remember the carryover bringing the pool to about $200,000 at Delta Downs. People were betting multiple identical tickets in the first leg in hopes of having multiple tickets going into the second leg. There were many other "smart" strategies. As it turned out, an old man pulled down the whole pool with one ticket.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:23 PM   #5
AlsoEligible

Quote:
The twin trifecta wasn't based on money won on the 1st leg but rather number of times you hit it.

If the base amount was $1 and you hit a $10 tri on the 1st leg you would get 10 tickets into the 2nd leg.

That's right. The money won from the first leg was split. When you cashed a winning first leg ticket, you'd get some percentage of the payout back in your pocket upfront (50%? Probably varied by track), and the remainder went into the second leg pool (along with any carryovers from previous days). At the time of cashing, you'd then be asked to make your second half bet(s), based on the number of winning bets you had in the first leg.

Ruidoso also offered it in recent memory, but a quick look at their site seems like they've done away with it as well. It was a staple at greyhound tracks for a long time, and presumably is still offered at the very few that remain.

Hong Kong offers a similar bet called the Double Trio (and a three leg Triple Trio), with the difference being that you bet all the legs upfront rather than waiting to see if you win the first leg. The pools are pretty large (as is standard for HKJC), but may be tough to find a US outlet that offers them.
AlsoEligible is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2022, 03:00 PM   #6
soflant

Twin Trifecta

Just curious has anyone out here ever constructed a Twin Trifecta ticket? I am very curious how this ticket would look like along with figuring out the cost.. Thanks in advance.
soflant is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2022, 05:31 PM   #7
affirmedny

Gillespie County Fairground

https://www.equibase.com/static/entr...2USA7-EQB.html

RACE 7 - POST TIME - 3:30 PM CT

WPS / Exacta / Quinella / First Half Twin Trifecta (Races 7 & 9)
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-18-2022, 06:48 PM   #8
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post

i never remembered the base bet being a buck.

what i do remember was the twin double. . the key to the twin double was getting alive in the first half with 8 tickets in the dog tracks. you could backwheel a dog in the 4th leg and often times take down the pool with only 3 winning legs.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2022, 09:45 AM   #9
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny View Post
Gillespie County Fairground

https://www.equibase.com/static/entr...2USA7-EQB.html

RACE 7 - POST TIME - 3:30 PM CT

WPS / Exacta / Quinella / First Half Twin Trifecta (Races 7 & 9)
Hard to believe a track still offers that type wager considering a live teller has to be involved while placing it, and no ADW site money in the pool.
Old 08-19-2022, 09:59 AM   #10
BarchCapper

Quote:
Hard to believe a track still offers that type wager considering a live teller has to be involved while placing it, and no ADW site money in the pool.
Pool averaged ~$3,550 on Sat/Sun last weekend. Not a lot of exchanges to worry about.

Base bet is $2.00 according to the chart, so not a lot of initial tickets either!

Last edited by BarchCapper; 08-19-2022 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Clarification
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2022, 10:03 AM   #11
ranchwest

Quote:
For many people it is akin to the lottery. Years ago, Delta Downs had regular trifectas every other race. The lines were much longer for the trifecta races than for the non-trifecta races. It wasn't that people felt they had an edge by leveraging their knowledge. They just saw big dollar signs and would play numbers.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:11 AM   #12
Suff
Beat up 💪

MAY 10, 1983

REVERE, Mass. -- The largest Twin Trifecta pool in U.S. greyhound racing history -- $438,955 -- was split among 11 winners at Wonderland Park over the weekend.

Each ticket-holder who picked the 3-8-1 combination in the eighth race and turned it in on a 2-3-4 trifecta in the 10th race collected nearly $39,904 plus $255 which 347 fans picked up for winning the first half Saturday night.

A total of $218,562 was bet on the Twin Trifecta.

The $438,955 'Wonderpot' attracted bettors from as far away as Las Vegas, Nev. The all-time U.S. racing parimutuel payoff is $495,050 set at Biscayne Dog track last year.
Old 08-19-2022, 10:21 AM   #13
Suff
Beat up 💪

Twin Trifecta

A multiple pool bet. Two trifecta selections in two races. You select the winning Trifecta combination in one race and exchange that ticket for a second Trifecta in the following race. One-half of the net Twin Trifecta pool will be paid equally to winners of the first half when those tickets are presented to be exchanged. The remaining half of the pool, along with any carry over will be to winners of the second half. If no one selects the second half correctly, the pool is carried over to the next racing performance.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:24 AM   #14
lamboguy

[quote=Suff;2825153]REVERE, Mass. -- The largest Twin Trifecta pool in U.S. greyhound racing history -- $438,955 -- was split among 11 winners at Wonderland Park over the weekend.

Each ticket-holder who picked the 3-8-1 combination in the eighth race and turned it in on a 2-3-4 trifecta in the 10th race collected nearly $39,904 plus $255 which 347 fans picked up for winning the first half Saturday night.

A total of $218,562 was bet on the Twin Trifecta.

The $438,955 'Wonderpot' attracted bettors from as far away as Las Vegas, Nev. The all-time U.S. racing parimutuel payoff is $495,050 set at Biscayne Dog track last year.https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...-76a9e15d6eff/

they went to caps right after this thing was hit.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-19-2022, 12:45 PM   #15
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Pool averaged ~$3,550 on Sat/Sun last weekend. Not a lot of exchanges to worry about.

Base bet is $2.00 according to the chart, so not a lot of initial tickets either!
Must be Brisnet's data, I looked up the DRF charts for those two days from Gillespie County but couldn't find anything on the Twin Trifecta.

Did see some really nice payoffs though.....one trifecta with the two 2-1 favorites and a 25-1 shot, paid over $1500 for a $2 ticket. Another $2 ticket with the 4 favorites paying close to $700 for a Super.