Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 04-19-2023, 09:18 PM   #1
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Derby longshot ?

After the 80-1 winner last year I suspect we will see a ton of underlaid runners. The year after Mine That Bird won, the longest shot in the field was just under 32-1.
So who's the 30-1 ish bomb who can light up the exotics (or win it all)?

I'm having a long look at Blazing Sevens for Chad Brown.
Gr1 winner last year (Champagne) and then ran pretty well in the Breeders Cup Juvenile behind Forte.
Got bounced around a bit out of the gate in the Ftn Of Youth in his 3yr old debut and basically just trotted around the track to finish a badly beaten 8th.
A total non effort.
Brown then puts blinkers on him and comes right back in the Blue Grass, where he went about 3w on the first turn & then made a nice wide move on the far turn into a slow pace, but couldn't go with the top two, finishing a good 3rd. He kept going after the wire to draw on even terms with the 1-2 finishers.
A real improvement over his FOY race and a return to his 2yr old best figure. He may be all set for a top effort in the Derby, 3rd off the layoff.
His gate problems are a big concern (esp in the Derby) but maybe he gets a slice at a price if things break well for him.

Also looking at Skinner if he draws in. Always seems to run wide but this son of Curlin has a solid late kick that is sure to pick up many distance challenged runners at 1m1/4.

Last edited by PhantomOnTour; 04-19-2023 at 09:19 PM.
PhantomOnTour is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2023, 03:01 AM   #2
boys at tosconova

finding and guessing correctly which page 2 long shot might hit the board is hard feat. it's almost never the horse you think it's going to be when it does hit/

his bg was a decent bounce back effort. but I really didn't like his finishing energy 5L in back of vrfyng and tt. I guess there's the possibility he can improve off of it. you get brown at long odds and he did race well at 2.

being 30/50-1 means you're gonna have knocks

Last edited by boys at tosconova; 04-20-2023 at 03:03 AM.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2023, 03:13 AM   #3
boys at tosconova

I think some people really would like to see skinner and mandarin hero in the race.

myself, I kind of like romans horse should he get in as a page 2 bomb. his 3rd place finish was pretty decent in the fd.
boys at tosconova is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2023, 06:39 AM   #4
f2tornado

Hit Show is probably going to be overlooked and sitting at 25-1. Really nothing negative to say about it aside from being just a little behind the top contenders on figures.
f2tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2023, 08:53 AM   #5
Curln22

Blazings seven’s definitely seems more of a one turn type.

In all his two turn races no better than 4th.
Curln22 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2023, 10:14 AM   #6
sovereign
Spot Player

Whichever horse you don't like will probably be the one to ruin your exotics.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:19 AM   #7
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curln22 View Post
Blazings seven’s definitely seems more of a one turn type.

In all his two turn races no better than 4th.
I see where you're coming from.
10f probably isn't what he wants. Just thought he was on the rebound and could be primed for a big effort.
Will likely be overbet coming from the Brown barn.
Old 04-20-2023, 10:50 AM   #8
myohmyjustify

My longshot pick is Confidence Game.

Don't understand the horse missing the major preps since his win in the Rebel but I take his trainer's word that he'll be ready on Derby Day.

It's too long between starts for my liking and the horse does need a lot of things to fall into place but then again, that's why he's a longshot pick.

Good luck to everyone ...
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2023, 09:22 AM   #9
PalaceOfFortLarned

Thinking Two Phil's and Skinner if he gets in, are the two 'wise guy' horses in this field.

For serious longshots I may be looking at Reincarnate and the other Japanese horse in Continuar.

At least with Reincarnate one should expect him to be forwardly placed. Yes, distance is a serious question, but it also is for everybody in this field. At 40/1 or better, I may lay a few nickels on him

Continuar was a solid 2YO that hasn't had quite the campaign at 3. Derma will get all the hype for the Japanese invaders and one could get 60/1 or better on this one. Maybe a flyer WPS wager on a horse that has definitely flashed talent.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2023, 09:38 AM   #10
PalaceOfFortLarned

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Hit Show is probably going to be overlooked and sitting at 25-1. Really nothing negative to say about it aside from being just a little behind the top contenders on figures.
Don't mind this one either, and think you are right on his price floating up. There are a number of horses fighting for 10/1 or under favoritism and a fairly solid middle of 12 to 20/1 horses. He could float up over 30/1 and hasn't done a whole lot wrong.

Wood wasn't all that good, but wasn't cranked for that one either. Definitely has some upside.
PalaceOfFortLarned is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2023, 01:01 PM   #11
Raider

I am looking at Raise Cain and Rocket Can, Though I doubt that any one over 15-1 will be in the top four
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2023, 08:42 AM   #12
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I'd like to thank Chad Brown for withdrawing Blazing Sevens and saving me from making a foolish bet.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:17 AM   #13
Robert Fischer
clean money

I'm just starting to get warmed up and study the field and the card.

My gut says double check all the Brad Cox horses and respect the top trainers in general.

I feel like the 'long shots' will have some chance 3rd/4th, but some non-favorites are in contention. I don't want to commit to that opinion and be biased. Hopefully some inspiration as I feel some fear and greed here.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:04 PM   #14
myohmyjustify

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
I'd like to thank Chad Brown for withdrawing Blazing Sevens and saving me from making a foolish bet.

Same here. Trainers never scratch winners, do they?
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-24-2023, 09:40 PM   #15
Aerocraft67
Enthusiast

From a preliminary look at some basic factors, using Aragona's DRF value line to identify runners 20-1 or more:
  • Confidence Game seems the best of the longshots—probably takes more money than 30-1 accordingly
  • Hit Show, Lord Miles weak on speed and pace but fairly classy, could improve in sixth race and may appreciate the distance. Hit Show less compelling at 20-1 vs. 50-1 for Lord Miles.
  • Reincarnate, Two Phil's a bit more exposed and less classy races, but good pace profiles. Phil has that big speed fig (which may get bet), Reincarnate looks to be the bigger price—and should be
  • Mage surely takes more money than 20-1? It'll probably get more of mine.
Nonshots:
  • Wild on Ice just doesn't figure. Hard toss.
  • Rocket Can has some class and a little pace but pretty weak otherwise
  • Sun Thunder looks to have biggest late run, nothing else, will burn money
  • Raise Cain and Disarm, meh
  • Continuar? Who knows.
Aerocraft67 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply