Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-28-2021, 11:56 AM   #31
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
I think it was a jockey decision to come off the turf, not the tracks. Don't think the track can really force them to ride.
I agree. But given I was the author of this thread, I think I'm entitled to say- it's not like the track wasn't aware of the weather issues when it decided to card turf races.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #32
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I agree. But given I was the author of this thread, I think I'm entitled to say- it's not like the track wasn't aware of the weather issues when it decided to card turf races.
This is true. But also, surely so were people that bet the late horizontal bets. No way I would have bet those personally given the weather scenario. I've seen this happen way too many times.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2021, 12:09 PM   #33
Andy Asaro

Quote:
This is true. But also, surely so were people that bet the late horizontal bets. No way I would have bet those personally given the weather scenario. I've seen this happen way too many times.
When they didn't take them off prior to the P6 most people including me were sure they were gonna run them on the turf no matter what. I'm gonna find out more about this today. They should have been taken off earlier in the day given the weather report IMO
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2021, 12:34 PM   #34
Robert Fischer
clean money

Was there a drainage/flooding issue?

Usually I think of rain+turf as being a track maintenance worry, more than a safety issue.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #35
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
when did the condition book come out? 3-4 weeks ago or longer?
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #36
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Bettor Beware.

If the track should have seen it coming, so should the bettors.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:08 PM   #37
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
when did the condition book come out? 3-4 weeks ago or longer?
Racetracks often divert from the condition book when weather dictates. And even moving races to the dirt in advance (as they did opening day) is possible.

I get there are situations where the totally unforeseen event requires a move- there was a famous one where the last race on Christmas Eve at Hollywood Park was moved in the 1980's because of holes in the turf course- but this was entirely predictable.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #38
Andy Asaro

I get the feeling there is a mentality among racing execs that they're doing everyone a favor by giving them all.

Santa Anita and the TOC should put 25K or 50K each into the late P5 on Saturday as a gesture to Gamblers that they value our business. They will likely handle 5 times the seed amount and when you include the good will created would be a win for Santa Anita.
Old 12-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #39
Andy Asaro

After the turf sprint in the 5th an elder statesman of the Jocks Room who is well regarded by everyone I know said that the turf was slippery and softer in some spots nearer the rail. At that point they decided to take the later races off the turf even though they had not planned to take them off. That's good enough for me.

I am pushing for a seeded P5 pool Saturday as a way to turn the bad publicity into something positive. Hope they do it.