Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-29-2018, 07:59 PM   #1
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Sad story about horse "rescue"

http://ntwo.org/updates/2018/the-bat...orses-at-risk/
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
chadk66

wow. not a pleasant read. I just ran from western ND to Minneapolis to get a four year old filly that we bred and raised but had sold in a yearling sale. Late last summer she chipped a knee and had it taken out. She ran all summer, winning six weeks ago. Ran back about two weeks ago and didn't finish like she usually does. Next morning she had some heat in that same knee so the owners (my brother and step dad) said that's it were not gonna torture her. They told me they quit on her and I said I'd be down to get her before the end of the week. We had named her after my grandma and I wasn't going to just let her go to just anyone. I will use her to trail ride and whatever, Maybe breed her to a quarter horse, barrel racing is huge up here. But she will be taken care of and I can sleep at night.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 08:56 PM   #3
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66 View Post
wow. not a pleasant read. I just ran from western ND to Minneapolis to get a four year old filly that we bred and raised but had sold in a yearling sale. Late last summer she chipped a knee and had it taken out. She ran all summer, winning six weeks ago. Ran back about two weeks ago and didn't finish like she usually does. Next morning she had some heat in that same knee so the owners (my brother and step dad) said that's it were not gonna torture her. They told me they quit on her and I said I'd be down to get her before the end of the week. We had named her after my grandma and I wasn't going to just let her go to just anyone. I will use her to trail ride and whatever, Maybe breed her to a quarter horse, barrel racing is huge up here. But she will be taken care of and I can sleep at night.
Good job, Chad. Racing needs all owners/trainers/breeders to care as much as you do.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 PM   #4
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Bravo!
Old 08-30-2018, 04:22 AM   #5
zawaaa
vaguely on topic...

zawaaa is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #6
Immortal6

Good lord, that was depressing to read. When inquiries and accusations came out months ago about her lack of 503c status I was a little suspicious that there was something nefarious going on but never thought it was this bad, and to think I was almost duped into donating to her myself! I would love to see anyone from her "team" try to defend this article. Despicable people.
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #7
Inner Dirt

Quote:

Good for you! You are the man!
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 01:58 PM   #8
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal6 View Post
Good lord, that was depressing to read. When inquiries and accusations came out months ago about her lack of 503c status I was a little suspicious that there was something nefarious going on but never thought it was this bad, and to think I was almost duped into donating to her myself! I would love to see anyone from her "team" try to defend this article. Despicable people.

I do a lot of internet surfing in the middle of the night for two reasons, I am an insomniac that never sleeps more than an hour straight and my data capped satellite internet does not count data between 3-6am.

My perception might be way off. What I gather is we have horse rescue people who play kind hearted people for donations while at the same time basically committing fraud and not doing a damn thing to help the horses that have been delivered to them for care. Looking at the pictures some of the horses that weren't even that old went downhill an insane amount in as little as a month.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 03:53 PM   #9
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #10
Andy Asaro

Old 08-30-2018, 07:52 PM   #11
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Good for you! You are the man!
love having her around. But I'll have to take her full brother too when he's done. named him after grandpa
Old 08-31-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
Andy Asaro

Old 08-31-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post

Donna is one of the smartest people in the industry and she truly cares about horses before and after their time on the track. She's actively involved with New Vocations and if she took the time to write this everyone should take notice.

Be sure when donating to an aftercare charity they are accredited by the Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance and be sure they are a 501 (c) (3) organization.

I realize some organizations don't like the hoops or requirements for accreditation but it is good we have an accreditation process, and oversight via the TAA.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #14
chadk66

Donna rode a lot of horses for me back when she was riding. Got to know her well. She is a very genuine gal and a real class act.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:40 AM   #15
turfnsport

Donna's response was after Dina started posting that Donna was for slaughter (taking her comments out of context IMO) based on her response on twitter after my tweet. Dina needs to spend less time on Twitter and more time taking care of her rescues.

turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: