Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-04-2021, 12:10 AM   #31
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I haven't looked at a synthetic race in years and don't plan to start.
Amen, brother. No interest at all. ZERO. Not as long as they still card dirt.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2021, 05:22 PM   #32
Suff
Beat up 💪

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010 View Post
On the Gulfstream Overnite for Sunday I noticed this note.

Attention Horsemen: Tapeta Surface preparation will begin Monday, June 7, two weeks earlier than originally proposed. Five furlong turf races will not be carded for 2-3 weeks. Racing department will try to offer those races prior to start up. Two turn turf races will not be affected.

They're cutting the Thursday card for three months. They'll only be running weekends. Screen dismantled, moving it back to make room.

Jammed Belmont day.

Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 01:55 PM   #33
Scanman

And so it begins: https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...peta_track_123 .

Last edited by Scanman; 06-08-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Scanman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 05:32 PM   #34
MJC922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scanman View Post
Thanks. If anyone finds out what this will be 'called' give me a shout. With my luck someone will hesitate to call it inner dirt and invent some new terminology like inner synth or some such. Then they'll go to an outer synth at some point because it'll be found to be 'safer'.

Last edited by MJC922; 06-08-2021 at 05:33 PM.
MJC922 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 05:58 PM   #35
Suff
Beat up 💪

It's hitting me positive. New surface, new screen and improved drainage. Completed by August, so kinks worked out by the time Championship meet.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:01 PM   #36
Suff
Beat up 💪

Drainage probably bigger than people think.

You think it rains hard from December - March when all eyes are on GP. The rain during Hurricane season is Biblical. Main and only facility needs to handle everything now.
Old 06-09-2021, 09:34 AM   #37
classhandicapper

I'm all for safer surfaces, but synthetics were a failure in CA and KY for a variety of reasons. Among those reasons was that horseplayers didn't like them and the incremental surface switches on the same circuit as much. There are logical reasons for this move, but I think ultimately it's going to be a failure because handle is going to decline. It also wouldn't shock me if a handful of trainers that have been going to GP with some of their stock seasonally start going somewhere else if forced to run on synth too often
Old 06-09-2021, 10:11 AM   #38
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I'm all for safer surfaces, but synthetics were a failure in CA and KY for a variety of reasons. Among those reasons was that horseplayers didn't like them and the incremental surface switches on the same circuit as much. There are logical reasons for this move, but I think ultimately it's going to be a failure because handle is going to decline. It also wouldn't shock me if a handful of trainers that have been going to GP with some of their stock seasonally start going somewhere else if forced to run on synth too often
At least in California, synthetics are actually doing well. It's Santa Anita, with its dirt, which is running more 3 and 4 horse fields. Golden Gate is doing somewhat better.

Synthetics were not a failure here. They worked fine at GGF and HOL and Del Mar would still have one if it weren't for the closure of HOL. Meanwhile, when SA put back in its dirt track a lot of horses died.

They remain the future of racing and I assume they will eventually get mandated again.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2021, 10:24 AM   #39
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
At least in California, synthetics are actually doing well. It's Santa Anita, with its dirt, which is running more 3 and 4 horse fields. Golden Gate is doing somewhat better.

Synthetics were not a failure here. They worked fine at GGF and HOL and Del Mar would still have one if it weren't for the closure of HOL. Meanwhile, when SA put back in its dirt track a lot of horses died.

They remain the future of racing and I assume they will eventually get mandated again.
The only tracks that survived synthetics were 2nd tier tracks. There is no major racing on synthetics anywhere for a variety of reasons. Like I said, I'm all for safety, but I think this move is going to hurt GP and could even impact whether it draws the same quality barns depending on the schedule.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:18 PM   #40
Scanman

A few questions answered: https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...ta_surface_123 .
Old 06-11-2021, 09:27 AM   #41
CheckMark

Quote:
Thank you for the link Scanman!
Old 06-11-2021, 10:08 AM   #42
Scanman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Thank you for the link Scanman!
Cheers, CheckMark. Will be interesting to see if they get some of the Stakes/Allowance level horses from Woodbine and Presque Isle this Winter.
Old 06-11-2021, 10:54 AM   #43
CheckMark

Quote:
Cheers, CheckMark. Will be interesting to see if they get some of the Stakes/Allowance level horses from Woodbine and Presque Isle this Winter.
Wouldn’t be surprised if some of the Woodbine based trainer ship their horses down for the winter.

Haven’t been keeping tabs with PI trainers but them too would probably do the same to keep their horses fresh.
Old 06-12-2021, 10:29 AM   #44
Frost king

I can also see, races washed off the turf go to the tapers, and possibly dirt races for safety reasons when it rains. It will most likely increase the handle, because you won’t have the scratchfests when it rains.
Frost king is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2021, 10:54 AM   #45
BIG RED
Son O'War

What tracks already have the same exact surface they plan on installing?
I mean, all synthetics aren't exactly the same, are they?