Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 11:04 PM   #31
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
The Big Cap averages about 1 out-of-towner per year. In the 2000s alone there has been Saint Liam, Go Between, Einstein, Ron The Greek, Called To Serve, Will Take Charge, Mucho Macho Man, Effinex, and Shaman Ghost.

Decades ago there was Vanlandingham, Broad Brush, Formal Gold, and Spectacular Bid.
It is a little more than I remembered, but I don't count the Stronach horses.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #32
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
The Big Cap averages about 1 out-of-towner per year. In the 2000s alone there has been Saint Liam, Go Between, Einstein, Ron The Greek, Called To Serve, Will Take Charge, Mucho Macho Man, Effinex, and Shaman Ghost.

Decades ago there was Vanlandingham, Broad Brush, Formal Gold, and Spectacular Bid.
I think that's too reductive. The Big Cap used to draw big fields (most years-1988 was an exception) full of good horses.

Look at the Inagural- it drew Equipoise amd Twenty Grand. Rosemont versus Seabiscuit. Noor, Citation, Two Lea, and Ponder. Ack Ack against Cougar. John Henry against Perrault. Ferdinand, Alysheba, and Super Diamond. Event of the Year, Free House, and Silver Charm.

That is what Dubai has killed. Yes, a second tier eastern horse may still ship, but it isn't the same. The last Game on Dude one will go down as the last good Santa Anita Handicap.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #33
Thomas Roulston

Why stop at 1 1/8 miles? Make it 1 1/4 miles and turn it into Colonial Downs West!

And I have just perfected a new design for a 1 1/4-mile dirt track - with two turf courses that share a common stretch!
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2018, 10:47 AM   #34
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Why stop at 1 1/8 miles? Make it 1 1/4 miles and turn it into Colonial Downs West!

And I have just perfected a new design for a 1 1/4-mile dirt track - with two turf courses that share a common stretch!
Sharing a stretch would kill the biggest benefit of having two turf courses, wear and tear.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:37 PM   #35
Thomas Roulston

But it would be necessary to fit the inner turf course inside the outer turf course, and also to fit in a chute at the beginning of the backstretch where 1 1/2-mile turf races will be run.

I hope to post a schematic of it here - but for now, here are the dimensions:

Main Track: 1 1/4 miles. Distance from last turn to finish, 1,320 feet. Distance from finish line to first turn: 330 feet. 4-furlong/1 3/4-mile, 1/16th mile long chutelet on far turn (see Canterbury Park). Backstretch chute out to 1 1/16 miles. Wilson-style chute for 1 1/8 miles (see Ellis Park). Alternate finish line for 1 3/16 miles and certain other distances. Width of track: 120 feet (all sections), making fields of up to 20 horses possible at many distances.

Turf Course(s): Outer Turf Course: 1 1/8 miles. Distance from last turn to finish: 1,320 feet. Distance from finish line to first turn: 330 feet. Minimal gap between inner rail of Main Track and outer rail of Outer Turf Course, allowing for wider turf course (see Woodbine). Inner Turf Course: Six and one-half furlongs. Shares stretch with Outer Turf Course. Distance from last turn to finish: 990 feet. Distance from finish line to first turn: 200 feet. Backstretch chute for 1 1/2-mile turf races (requires rail be set at least 10 feet out - see 1 1/8 miles on turf at Bay Meadows, which required a 25-foot rail setting).

Last edited by Thomas Roulston; 01-15-2018 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #36
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
But it would be necessary to fit the inner turf course inside the outer turf course, and also to fit in a chute at the beginning of the backstretch where 1 1/2-mile turf races will be run.

Main Track: 1 1/4 miles. Distance from last turn to finish, 1,320 feet. Distance from finish line to first turn: 330 feet. 4-furlong/1 3/4-mile, 1/16th mile long chutelet on far turn (see Canterbury Park). Backstretch chute out to 1 1/16 miles. Wilson-style chute for 1 1/8 miles (see Ellis Park). Alternate finish line for 1 3/16 miles and certain other distances. Width of track: 120 feet (all sections), making fields of up to 20 horses possible at many distances.

Turf Course(s): Outer Turf Course: 1 1/8 miles. Distance from last turn to finish: 1,320 feet. Distance from finish line to first turn: 330 feet. Minimal gap between inner rail of Main Track and outer rail of Outer Turf Course, allowing for wider turf course (see Woodbine). Inner Turf Course: Six and one-half furlongs. Shares stretch with Outer Turf Course. Distance from last turn to finish: 990 feet. Distance from finish line to first turn: 200 feet. Backstretch chute for 1 1/2-mile turf races (requires rail be set at least 10 feet out - see 1 1/8 miles on turf at Bay Meadows, which required a 25-foot rail setting).
Draw it up and send it to Ritvo.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #37
dilanesp

Quote:

You would need to do a ton of grading on that hill (which is surely susceptible to earthquakes and landslides) to do that.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:00 PM   #38
Andy Asaro

Not all that easy to increase dimensions and maintain the signature race down the hill but I'm sure it can be done.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-15-2018, 10:24 PM   #39
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

California is far from everywhere else. Why not develop the Cal Bred stock to be Turf Sprinters and run a whole lot more 5f, 5.5f, 6f and 6.5 and 7f races on the main turf oval AND the hillside turf course as well instead of JUST the About 6.5 Hillside Run...

California is already well know for dirt speed horses...so turf sprints might just be what the Dr. ordered...Hollywood Park used to run a lot of 5.0 turf sprints before they closed...then they need to build another new turf and dirt track in the Irvine Metropolitan area, so they can rotate between Santa Anita, Irvine, and Delmar and stop running T-breds at Los Alamitos.

Problem is the land in Irvine is worth so much money...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 01-15-2018 at 10:27 PM.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #40
Thomas Roulston

Ritvo?

And I've just about finished it. All I need to do is put the necessary labels on it ("1 1/16 Mile Chute," etc.) and to take a pic of it and upload it to my computer.

Plus it can be used anywhere a track has the necessary space to expand their course - not just Santa Anita.

Thanx for all your help on this BTW.
Old 01-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #41
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Ritvo?

And I've just about finished it. All I need to do is put the necessary labels on it ("1 1/16 Mile Chute," etc.) and to take a pic of it and upload it to my computer.

Plus it can be used anywhere a track has the necessary space to expand their course - not just Santa Anita.

If you've come up with the perfect track configuration, then send it to all. Then they'll have it at hand to look at when the time comes. If the time comes. At $5m for each time they had to replace the dirt with synth, or the synth with dirt, it's not a cheap thing to do.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2018, 01:53 PM   #42
upthecreek

upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #43
Thomas Roulston

Of course my idea of "perfect" is where every distance can be run, both on dirt and turf - a concept that not all of you may share.

But without further adieu, here's the finished product:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.JPG (51.6 KB, 31 views)
Old 01-25-2018, 01:08 PM   #44
dilanesp

Quote:
Ritvo?

Again, bear in mind there is a hill that meets up with the backstretch at the 1/2 mile pole.

It isn't just "space", it is grading (and slides and earthquakes).
Old 01-25-2018, 08:41 PM   #45
Afleet

Quote:
Of course my idea of "perfect" is where every distance can be run, both on dirt and turf - a concept that not all of you may share.

But without further adieu, here's the finished product:
whats the chute on the clubhouse turn for? Looks like ELP dirt mile layout

re-read your post 1 1/8 chute-interesting; but like the others said that hill comes into play

Last edited by Afleet; 01-25-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: