Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-12-2016, 08:31 PM   #16
pele polo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
didn't he win a bunch of races last year at Sam Houston and Remington when he was riding first call for Asmussen?
I know he won a lot at Sam Houston and finished in the top five there. I didn't know about Remington, so I looked it up on Equibase and he was in fact 7th in the final standings, not bad at all.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:08 PM   #17
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Bettor
Wow! 5' 11"? How does he make weight?

And I am a fan.
He's tall, but I think the tallest jock I ever saw was Mark Johnston from the MD circuit in the 90's. Very lanky, and no idea how that guy consistently made weight considering he rode for 15+ years. I remember numerous times fans would yell out asking who was going to win. His response was always the same, "the jock with the white pants." Of course, the all wear white pants.

He ended up on the KY circuit and was involved in the spill that killed Michael Rowland at Turfway in 2004. He took a few more mounts and then hung up the saddle for good a few months later.

Here's a nice interview on HRRN with fellow former jockey Kristin McManigell. Glad I listened, because it turns out he ended up marrying Michael Rowland's widow.

http://horseracingradio.net/episode/...-mark-johnston

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2016, 01:57 AM   #18
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rise Over Run
He's tall, but I think the tallest jock I ever saw was Mark Johnston from the MD circuit in the 90's. Very lanky, and no idea how that guy consistently made weight considering he rode for 15+ years. I remember numerous times fans would yell out asking who was going to win. His response was always the same, "the jock with the white pants." Of course, the all wear white pants.

He ended up on the KY circuit and was involved in the spill that killed Michael Rowland at Turfway in 2004. He took a few more mounts and then hung up the saddle for good a few months later.

Here's a nice interview on HRRN with fellow former jockey Kristin McManigell. Glad I listened, because it turns out he ended up marrying Michael Rowland's widow.

http://horseracingradio.net/episode/...-mark-johnston
Shawn's height is often overstated. He is 5' 9, which is still tall for a jockey." The guy is also strong, very strong, and gives the impression in person not of a rider, but rather a normal-sized guy who happens to be slender.

Last edited by mountainman; 10-13-2016 at 01:59 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #19
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Shawn's height is often overstated. He is 5' 9, which is still tall for a jockey." The guy is also strong, very strong, and gives the impression in person not of a rider, but rather a normal-sized guy who happens to be slender.
At 5' 11”, has it been tough keeping your weight down?
I've always been a real skinny kid. Never had that much problem with weight. The challenge was getting trainers to put me on horses, especially when I'd walk up to them and I'm taller than they are. But when they see how low I can get on a horse, it's not been a problem.
http://www.paulickreport.com/feature...eshawn-parker/
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2016, 11:41 PM   #20
SuperPickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pele polo
Parker has tried going several other places in the past wth little success. With the Moutain now closed during the winter I believe he's been going to Sam Houston to ride primarily for Eric Reed and doing fairly well but doesn't get 8 mounts a card like he does in WV.

I was surprised when he went to Tampa a few years ago and rode very few winners and was getting on a lot of longshots.

Very solid rider. Have to admire his consistency and the longevity in his consistency.
Tampa and Oaklawn are brutal. They probably have the biggest jocks room in the country. You've got horses coming out of 8-10 places with riders with relationship. Tampa on a certainly level is a tough place to ride winners.

You see some tracks where the top leaders do nothing they leave. If you look at Lezcano, Centano and Garardo they all won multiple titles elsewhere. It reflects the Toughness of that room.
SuperPickle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2016, 11:48 AM   #21
nancy4487

Rode my horse to one of his only two wins. First was at Mountaineer with DeShawn up!
He looked tall on Fitti in winner's circle picture and Fitti 16.1 H
nancy4487 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2016, 05:08 PM   #22
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
At 5' 11”, has it been tough keeping your weight down?
I've always been a real skinny kid. Never had that much problem with weight. The challenge was getting trainers to put me on horses, especially when I'd walk up to them and I'm taller than they are. But when they see how low I can get on a horse, it's not been a problem.
http://www.paulickreport.com/feature...eshawn-parker/
Don't wager any money on it, sir. He and I have been friends a long, long time. In addition, Shawn once worked with me in the racing office. And we've played plenty of hoops together.

I'm about 6'2..maybe even a centimeter short of that. And the difference between he and I is CONSIDERABLY more than 3 inches.

Last edited by mountainman; 10-15-2016 at 05:19 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2016, 09:08 PM   #23
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Don't wager any money on it, sir. He and I have been friends a long, long time. In addition, Shawn once worked with me in the racing office. And we've played plenty of hoops together.

I'm about 6'2..maybe even a centimeter short of that. And the difference between he and I is CONSIDERABLY more than 3 inches.
I believe you....just wanted to show you the paulickreport interview..
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #24
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Where will he go after MNR closes?

I know he likes SAM HOUSTON but they don't open till Jan.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2016, 12:34 AM   #25
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME
Where will he go after MNR closes?

I know he likes SAM HOUSTON but they don't open till Jan.
Mahoning makes the most sense since he lives 45 mins or so away but I think he is not allowed to ride there without special permission bc his dad or a relative is a steward in ohio or something like that? I'm sure someone else on here can confirm that...he's tried tampa before without much success...if I was him I'd try new Orleans...that jock colony seems tired and he has run for Asmussen with success in sam houston so why not take a shot at the fair grounds and mix it in with some delta at night? Way better purses there than waiting for sam houston and I think he can still be competitive
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2016, 12:43 AM   #26
chaz63

usually finishes up Remington meet then goes to Sam Houston....
chaz63 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #27
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Last I heard he was going to Oaklawn.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #28
Robert Fischer
clean money

Such a big difference when he's up on a horse vs others in the colony.

I don't see that improvement/contrast at major tracks often. Maybe within certain restricted patterns (eg controlling speed in a turf route).

Parker gives a contender a ride that allows the horse to win. If there is an initiative up for grabs, he owns that initiative. If there is a duel brewing, subtle race-riding to diffuse the duel before it even happens.
Old 10-20-2016, 10:11 AM   #29
bello
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer
Such a big difference when he's up on a horse vs others in the colony.

I don't see that improvement/contrast at major tracks often. Maybe within certain restricted patterns (eg controlling speed in a turf route).

Parker gives a contender a ride that allows the horse to win. If there is an initiative up for grabs, he owns that initiative. If there is a duel brewing, subtle race-riding to diffuse the duel before it even happens.
All so true. Great to watch this guy. Also seems to wisen up some younger members of the jock colony who are willing to learn. And never a stiff job. Just shows that racing for lower purses does not mean dishonest racing.

Deshawn also had an excellent year two back at Sam Houston....Fell back some last year. Seemed to lose the Asmussen account for some reason.
bello is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-21-2016, 04:49 AM   #30
chaz63

Wow....that's a switch. Good for him. Hope he knocks it out of the park there.
chaz63 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: