Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 03-14-2010, 06:55 AM   #1
Pell Mell
Veteran

Uptowncharlybrown's Ride

I've watched the rerun of the TBD several times and I don't get that ride on Chucky.
I know they wanted to keep him closer to the pace but pressing SS?
Then coming into and in the stretch run Centeno was hand riding him. He didn't seem to really get into the horse.
In the SD he lagged way behind and then looped the field and now gets too close to the pace. I think Centeno has given Chucky a couple bad rides and he just doesn't fit the horse.
Rose did a nice job and so did the jock on the winner. Centeno is out of his league IMO.
Any thoughts?
Pell Mell is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 AM   #2
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Centeno's as good as those others. The horse however is not.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 AM   #3
lamboguy

RAJIV knew ahead of time he couldn't beat charlie unless he pinned him on the rail. because of the blinkers the horse pulled at centeno and he went up to the front and was never able to get off the rail and MARAJ made sure of that. MARAJ got second run and got lucky and won the race. by the time chucky got free it was to late for him to make an impact.

this is just the case where the best horse in the race ran fifth. there are 50 riders trying to get on chucky today for his next race thinking they will do better.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 09:54 AM   #4
garyoz

Overmatched glorified allowance horse. There are plenty of three year olds pretenders every year. Couldn't believe he was 5/2.

Rose's ride was flawed. Moved way too early. Usually he is a good judge of pace. He should have won the race. I wouldn't bring him back on the colt. No problem with Centeno's ride IMHO--
garyoz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 10:55 AM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I bet him.
The only thing I know for sure now is that the glass is half empty.
Old 03-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
andymays
Veteran

Without going back and looking didn't he add blinkers for the race?

Maybe that had something to do with the awkward early position he put himself in.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #7
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
I bet him.
The only thing I know for sure now is that the glass is half empty.
the only thing he proved yesterday is that the blinkers got him closer to the pace. he didn't have the chance to show his ability yesterday. hopefully they have a better plan next time.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #8
Bluto Blutarsky

Bob Hutt and the FLS partners turned down a 7 figure offer for Charly before the Sam Davis. Derby Fever overtook logic.
He now looks to be an ungraded stakes winner.
Bluto Blutarsky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 AM   #9
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky
Bob Hutt and the FLS partners turned down a 7 figure offer for Charly before the Sam Davis. Derby Fever overtook logic.
i heard the only one that wanted to sell the horse was seewald.
they didn't do a good job training him into the sam davis. he trained well into the race yesterday but seemed to have a problem first tiem blinkers. he showed me plenty of ability yesterday, just poor preparation. because he ran bad in the sam davis he was very behind in his learning process. he has one more chance to prove himself in the wood. that will be another tough task to overcome. he has a ton of ability, i hope they convert his ability into a great race.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pell Mell
I've watched the rerun of the TBD several times and I don't get that ride on Chucky.
I know they wanted to keep him closer to the pace but pressing SS?
Then coming into and in the stretch run Centeno was hand riding him. He didn't seem to really get into the horse.
In the SD he lagged way behind and then looped the field and now gets too close to the pace. I think Centeno has given Chucky a couple bad rides and he just doesn't fit the horse.
Rose did a nice job and so did the jock on the winner. Centeno is out of his league IMO.
Any thoughts?
Rose did a nice job? In what way?

I think you're trying to make excuses because you have a connection to the horse. He's nice, just not Derby caliber IMO.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #11
slew101

I had the Rose horse to win and don't have a problem with his ride. The horse is a hanger. If you watched the Davis prep, he collared Rule then retreated once Rule came back on him.

After he looped the field on Saturday, I thought he might finish off the board in deep stretch because he was hanging so badly. I don't think any of the horses from this race will do much next out. I'd toss them all.
slew101 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 12:16 PM   #12
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by slew101
I had the Rose horse to win and don't have a problem with his ride. The horse is a hanger. If you watched the Davis prep, he collared Rule then retreated once Rule came back on him.

After he looped the field on Saturday, I thought he might finish off the board in deep stretch because he was hanging so badly. I don't think any of the horses from this race will do much next out. I'd toss them all.
You don't have a problem with a jock moving so prematurely? What was the point of moving before they hit the turn? His move cost the horse the race.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698
You don't have a problem with a jock moving so prematurely? What was the point of moving before they hit the turn? His move cost the horse the race.
i have to agree with you. i can't beleive that odysious came back to win the race inbetween horses.
Old 03-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

don't overlook that rose not only tackles Super Saver when dominguez was saving horse going into the stretch - at a time others were content to let him - but that School Yard Dreams also knocked Super Saver off stride and didn't let him change leads.

It was the trip that Super Saver figured, not anyone's idea that he was better than SYD or Odysseus that made him the worthy favorite coming in.
If Rose rides conservatively, I'm not sure that they catch Super Saver. Its hard to judge the difference between a horse with a positional advantage and a clean run, with a horse caught dueling during his rest, bumped, and not allowed to change leads. The tendency is to assume based on the outcome that a Super Saver type would have been caught easily.

If Rose doesn't take out the leader, it would have been Super Saver and School Yard Dreams in the exacta, which ever order you fancy. Odysseus would have run 3rd.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 03-14-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #15
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto Blutarsky
Rule number 1 in this game, sell when the market value is the highest. The group is made up of some very nice people Seewald should have told them to sell. I know it's easy to say that after an effort like yesterday but they all would have made out well on a sale earlier in the year. The horse will make some good money at MP this summer.