Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 PM   #16
woodbinepmi

When I was working as the track handicapper at Retama I noticed a Beyer figure that was wrong due to a mistake on the beaten lengths. Informed the chart caller for DRF and she said that she would inform them of the mistake, two months later that horse ran again and no change to the number in the pp's. Asked her if she informed the home office in New York and she said she had a couple times.
woodbinepmi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #17
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi
When I was working as the track handicapper at Retama I noticed a Beyer figure that was wrong due to a mistake on the beaten lengths. Informed the chart caller for DRF and she said that she would inform them of the mistake, two months later that horse ran again and no change to the number in the pp's. Asked her if she informed the home office in New York and she said she had a couple times.
I believe that and again, GOOD. If people don't do their work, they deserve to use the wrong numbers.

With the way CJ works, I would bet none of his numbers look like these Beyer Mistakes.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 10:16 PM   #18
Stillriledup
Veteran

The tweaking of the numbers ruins the integrity of the number, it's just a Guess from the consumer as to which numbers were altered for pace or other factors that are not Final time based. Could you say with 100 pct certainty that they're not altering numbers for ground loss on some occasions? Also, the horse in question got a higher Beyer in the faster paced race but she wasnt the one setting the pace, yet, she got a higher fig because of it.

Too much guesswork. Just give me the raw time fig, ill do the rest.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2016, 10:32 PM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sometimes adjusting a fig is legit.
Sometimes there are reasons - bad timing ( but really, how often do they mis-time a race in the real world? )

The key is, how does it affect the odds next time out?
If the crowd sees a 101 Beer but you make it a 93, you might have inflated odds on your horse. But if your horse is 3-5, so what?

I track the published Beyers against my own review of them through the Winner's Books. I note obvious differences just so that I know races that might be less than straight forward.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:36 PM   #20
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

Here's the last 10 on mine.

Attached Images
File Type: png LL.PNG (45.3 KB, 110 views)
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2016, 07:30 PM   #21
jasperson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
The tweaking of the numbers ruins the integrity of the number, it's just a Guess from the consumer as to which numbers were altered for pace or other factors that are not Final time based. Could you say with 100 pct certainty that they're not altering numbers for ground loss on some occasions? Also, the horse in question got a higher Beyer in the faster paced race but she wasnt the one setting the pace, yet, she got a higher fig because of it.

Too much guesswork. Just give me the raw time fig, ill do the rest.
That is why I use bris' speed figures They are strictly computer generated. The time of the race is what it is and does not need adjustments When I was making my own speed figure I rarely saw a race that needed adjustment. I do remember one case at GG where a horse won a mc30 in 2.08 3/5 I did adjust that back. That horse won his next race a 50k stakes race in 2.08 change.
jasperson is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2016, 01:59 AM   #22
ultracapper

1:08.3? 1:08? For 6 furlongs?

2:08 would be, what, 1 - 5/16 m?
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2016, 04:28 PM   #23
mistergee

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Interesting you mention this... was slaving away trying to come up with someone for yesterday's third which had a few that finished behind Lonely Lover in the N2y win and that race stuck out like a sort thumb as being screwy on the Beyer scale. I tend to just give them a passing look so didn't make any effort to understand it and just chalked it up to being flat wrong for one reason or another.

Looking at the filly I'll attach here, she's pretty damn consistent (on the Beyer scale) for a cheap conditioned TuP powerhouse and somehow came back with a number almost HALF her par while WINNING.
interesting , isn't a 1:11 a rating of 92 with no variant? How would it end up with a 29? A minus 63 variant???
mistergee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply